P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
IN the audio output section there is
PCM 2 ch 88.2khz and
PCM 2 ch 170.4khz
when i select one of these it gives a warning that there may be damage to speakers.
my ps3 is hooked up to a marantz sr4001
can someone explain these settings and why would there be damage to my speakers?

thanks

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Set it to run automatic audio output settings. HDMI is an intelligent interface that will actually figure out which audio streams will work and which will not. Setting it up manually when you are unsure is not advised, although I would simply never set it up manually when using HDMI.

The reason it could damage your speakers is if you have an incoming signal that the receiver cannot handle and it will output a clipped waveform over your speakers, first making a terrible racket and potentially damaging the high frequency drivers of your speakers if the output level on the receiver is too high.

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I am using the optical output on the ps3 using hdmi for video only.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You could set it to 176.4 and try it with the receiver turned low and see if it works. Your receiver is new enough that I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle it. Note that if you have any DTS CDs, they will not play without 176.4 set.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis