agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
How does the PS3 handle the DD-True HD and DTS-HD audio when playing a Blu-Ray disc? Specifically, I am looking for someone to confirm that I need a receiver or pre/pro that will decode these formats if I want to send Bitstream over HDMI? On the other hand, to play audio on the Denon 3806 receiver, on the PS3 I would select Linear PCM signal out via Optical connection. Is that correct?

I was on the PS3 Manual - Audio page and it says the player cannot handle DTS-HD 7.1 Ch and I quote, "This system does not support output from the DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. DTS-HD 7.1Ch audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel. ". Does that mean sometime in the future a firmware update will make it possible or is this a hardware limitation?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Via optical both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA work, though in a "stripped down" fashion. They will pass the core 5.1 signal via optical, since they are backwards compatible; this is how I have mine running right now since I don't have an HDMI receiver either. To get the full benefits of TrueHD, you do need a receiver that can handle the stream via HDMI. At this time the PS3 cannot internally decode the DTS-HD MA tracks and I have heard that it will not be able to even with an update.

*edit no sooner than I said that, I read this article and it says DTS is working with Sony to come up with a way for the PS3 to decode DTS-HD MA.

Although the current cost of a high-end receiver capable of decoding the tracks via bitstream is likely to keep DTS-HD Master Audio out of the hands of all but the most dedicated home theater enthusiasts, word on the street is that DTS is working with Sony to add internal DTS-MA decoding to the PS3 before Christmas.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis