PS3 no sound using optical

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
I had sound out of optical then the HDMI cable slip out of the back and now have no sound after reinstalling HDMI.
Troubleshooting
1. check and reset PS3 setting to make sure it was set to optical no luck
2. changed optical cable no luck
3. changed optical input on receiver and reasigned correct input no luck
4. threw hand in air no luck

Thanks,
engtaz

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had sound out of optical then the HDMI cable slip out of the back and now have no sound after reinstalling HDMI.
Troubleshooting
1. check and reset PS3 setting to make sure it was set to optical no luck
2. changed optical cable no luck
3. changed optical input on receiver and reasigned correct input no luck
4. threw hand in air no luck

Thanks,
engtaz
Can your receiver get audio from HDMI? If so I would enable HDMI for the audio.

See if you can enable other optical ports on your receiver. Try and see if you can get audio from another device using an optical cable.

It is just possible your optical block has gone down on your receiver, but I fail to see how the HDMI cable coming out would have taken it down. Modern electronics can do some very strange things sometimes.

If you can not enable an optical port, then I would do a reboot going back to factory defaults, before giving up.

If that does not work it is service time.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
TLS Guy
1. no HDMI
2. see #3
3. see #1
4. It is a know issue with PS3 and their auto HDMI everything. I just can't remember what setting in the PS3 work or don't work.

Thanks,
engtaz

K

KozyEmilio

Audiophyte
try going into audio settings and putting it through optical then go to custom and check off all the boxes on there also have u tried another optical cable??

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

bump any ideas please

engtaz
Have you proved that you can make an optical connection from another device?

I was trying to download your PS3 manual, but there are a lot of different manuals. What model is yours? I don't understand how an HDMI plug falling out caused this, unless there was a ground dicharge that did some damage. I just don't see how that by itself could have caused an optical input to not work, unless there was something very unusual. I don't see how it would have changed the PS3 settings either.

Have you done a software up date recently, that might have changed the PS3?

I need to be convinced your receiver is working properly. Did you reboot it?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are TWO places to set the audio - one is the audio settings and the other is in the HDMI/video settings (which I think may have been combined in a recent update). You have to set both to pass audio correctly via optical. I will look tonight when I get home and find the exact menus. I have had mine hooked up via optical for a year now, and at least one update caused problems with those settings, however it was very early on in the year.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Did all types of audio settings
PS3 60gig
Used different cables and input slots
used known good cables and known good optical imputs
reboot as in power off then on?
Software update did not cause this
when I origanally got the PS3 it was a pain to get optical to work. I just can't remember whay I did to fix it. Must be CRS

Thanks for the ideas. It is much appreciated.

engtaz

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did all types of audio settings
PS3 60gig
Used different cables and input slots
used known good cables and known good optical imputs
reboot as in power off then on?
Software update did not cause this
when I origanally got the PS3 it was a pain to get optical to work. I just can't remember whay I did to fix it. Must be CRS

Thanks for the ideas. It is much appreciated.

engtaz
J Garcia is on the right track. Now I know your model, I downloaded the manual and user guide for your PS3.

I assume you are using HDMI for video. Is that correct?

If that is so, you have to enable HDMI first and then go to the audio output screen and click Digital Out (Optical). That will put the audio on the optical out and no longer on the HDMI ouptut. Those units can not output digital from the HDMI output and optical at once. That I think is the cause of your problem.

It is explained 4 and 7 of the section audio output settings, in the user's guide.

"If you change the audio output settings, the system will no longer be able to output audio from multiple output connectors at the same time. For example, if your system is connected to a TV via an HDMI cable and to an audio device via a digital optical cable and you switch to [Digital Out (Optical)] under [Audio Output Settings], audio will no longer be output from the TV. To output audio from the TV, switch the setting to [HDMI]."

At long range I think this is as much help as I can give you. If that does not work, then something is malfunctioning.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Is this what you are doing?

HDMI going from the PS3 directly to TV.
Toslink going from PS3 to receiver.

PS3 settings: Settings>Display Settings>HDMI>Automatic

Audio: Chose optical.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, that was the menu. Sorry, I was really busy last night and didn't get a chance to check this for you. There is an audio setting for how it is handled, but when you configure HDMI for video, it also asks you there.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
I gave up and hooked up a new reciever and running just HDMI for video and audio. Works that way. If the young ones didn't like playing PS2 and PS3 games, I would never buy another Sony product.

engtaz

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I gave up and hooked up a new reciever and running just HDMI for video and audio. Works that way. If the young ones didn't like playing PS2 and PS3 games, I would never buy another Sony product.

engtaz
I'm not convinced this problem is due to the PS3. This problem started with the HDMI connector falling out of the back of the receiver. I don't see how that would have reset your PS3 optical output.

I'm not convinced that the optical block of your former receiver is working properly. You never confirmed that you got a signal to pass the optical block.

You may have had a odd ground surge as the plug fell out, the generated a high back EMF, that damaged the receiver.

I really would be curious to know, if that receiver is properly operational.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
every optical on receiver work. I had this happen before but forgot how I fixed it the first time. Water under the bridge now.

engtaz

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis