PS3 for $399 on November 2?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The mysterious and nameless consortium of "analysts/buyers" are working with the understanding that Sony will bring a $399 version of the PS3 to market well before Black Friday in order to better compete with top-selling Nintendo and #2 Microsoft Xbox 360 this holiday season. According to a new report in The Hollywood Reporter, which cites an industry source, the $399 PS3 will actually go on sale starting November 2.

Discuss "PS3 for $399 on November 2?" here. Read the article.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
But no BC (not that I care about that).
And no SACD! That, I care about.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
The mysterious and nameless consortium of "analysts/buyers" are working with the understanding that Sony will bring a $399 version of the PS3 to market well before Black Friday in order to better compete with top-selling Nintendo and #2 Microsoft Xbox 360 this holiday season. According to a new report in The Hollywood Reporter, which cites an industry source, the $399 PS3 will actually go on sale starting November 2.

Discuss "PS3 for $399 on November 2?" here. Read the article.
As stupid as some of these electronic giants can sometimes be, I would be willing to bet money that Sony would include backwards compatiblilty with PS2 games with ANY version of the PS3.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have read that it will be backwards compatible, but it won't have the emotion chip, all the current PS3's will do the emulation via software, only the original 20 gig and 60 gig versions have the emotion chip.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I have read that it will be backwards compatible, but it won't have the emotion chip, all the current PS3's will do the emulation via software, only the original 20 gig and 60 gig versions have the emotion chip.
Actually, Sony has announced no backwards compatibility on the new model in an effort to cut costs. The way it looks only units with the emotion chip will be able to run PS2 games with no worries.

Source.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
With so many titles running on both 360 and PS3, I wonder if it would be worth it to have both consoles?

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, Sony has announced no backwards compatibility on the new model in an effort to cut costs. The way it looks only units with the emotion chip will be able to run PS2 games with no worries.

Source.
Seems like a semi bad move by them, I understand the need to cut costs, but if it's not widely publicised that there is no backwards compatibility with this model and a lot of people buy it thinking that it is, more people will be pissed at Sony. I could care less about BC since I have no PS2 games, and no desire to play them anyway, but when the first PS3's were released it had that feature, and one would assume that every model after that would still have that feature, to taking it away seems stupid, at least use software to allow bc via emulation.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
With so many titles running on both 360 and PS3, I wonder if it would be worth it to have both consoles?
Probably. If nothing else, you will have the PS3 to use in the several week repair periods you will have to get used to on a regular basis with the 360. :D

-Chris

P.S.: Just kidding...... or am I?

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Probably. If nothing else, you will have the PS3 to use in the several week repair periods you will have to get used to on a regular basis with the 360. :D

-Chris

P.S.: Just kidding...... or am I?
Lol!

I've had my 360 for over 2 years already and have yet to have any problems with it! :)

The PS3 isn't flawless either.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
Lol!

I've had my 360 for over 2 years already and have yet to have any problems with it! :)

I don't think it has even been 2 years since it's inital launch yet...has it?

Consider yourself extremely lucky so far. There is a design/emgineering flaw to the 360 that is causing a failure rate that is anywhere from 35% to 70% (imo). We will never know the true numbers though. MS will never admit it.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
I don't think it has even been 2 years since it's inital launch yet...has it?

Consider yourself extremely lucky so far. There is a design/emgineering flaw to the 360 that is causing a failure rate that is anywhere from 35% to 70% (imo). We will never know the true numbers though. MS will never admit it.
The "official" number of defect is 30%. So it far from "the norm". Also, MS has extended the warranty to 3 years and is refunding any repair fee paid by owners.

I'd say they're doing what's right considering the situation.

Xbox 360 was released on Thanksgiving of 2005. Almost 2 years ago.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Lol!

You are one of the lucky ones. We have 2 - 360's in our household.
One purchased when they came out, and the other 1 month later.
When the 360's 1st came out, there was a little flyer in the box where
for $ 79 you could get a 4 year warranty on the unit from Microsoft. I got the warranty on both. The second unit has been returned 3 times, twice within the 1st year, and 4 months ago. The 1st unit has been returned 1 time, also within the 1st year. While I didn't have to pay to get them fixed, it still was an inconvenience (for my 2 sons, not so much for me) sending them back and not having them for 2-4 weeks at a time. For Microsoft to just extend the warranty on the 360 the way they did, the # of units failing had to be extraordinarily high.

On the other hand, our PS3, ( This one is more mine than anyone elses) which was purchased in December of last year, hasn't had any problems whatsoever. I agree the PS3 isn't without it's faults, but it's been rock solid reliable so far, and it's also a great BD player.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you have an existing collection of PS2 games....well that just means you already have a PS2. If you don't I don't think they expect you to buy PS2 games... It makes sense to me. I have used it for a few recently released must have titles (God of War 2 and Okami) but other than that, I haven't played any PS2 games on there or really bought any either.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Wow that's some bad luck you've had!

My PS3 owner friends are also very happy with theirs.

How many patches have there been so far on the PS3? Twenty something? My friends had to wait for over one hour while downloading them on the first online connect of the PS3.

Home isn't online yet either. That's taking for ever! Lol

Both console are good. It's all up to the game availibilty for me.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
How many patches have there been so far on the PS3? Twenty something? My friends had to wait for over one hour while downloading them on the first online connect of the PS3.
There have been many firmware updates for the PS3, yes, but very few of them (maybe 2-3) have actually been to fix problems, the rest have been to add functionality and that no one but idiots can complain about, I mean who doesn't like free stuff?

I wouldn't go as far as saying both machines are good, as the 360 brick rate is too high for my taste, plus the architecture of the PS3 was built from the ground up (just hoping to see some games that take advantage of its design) while the 360 is yet another glorified computer, but right now the 360 does have the better library as it has been out about twice as long so it has the lead.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
What's a brick rate?

I didn't intend to start a 360 vs PS3 debate here!

I think both machines will excede my HT capabilities. So small technical differences, I won't see! Lol

I can't wait for a cross-console online game! That would be great!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'll probably eventually get a PS3, mainly for use as a blu ray player since there aren't many titles on PS3 that I'm interested in, but I'll be ready when I do find something I want to play. Resistance Fall Of Man was a fun game, I only played the multiplayer but it was fun.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The single player on RFOM was decent, but a little too easy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis