PS3 Firmware update 2.10 DIVX compatibility

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
So I downloaded the update, seemed to go fine. It now recognizes that I have divx files on a usb thumb drive so I copied them to the PS3. Can I play them? No. Has anyone had any success playing divx files downloaded to the ps3 without having to stream them through TVersity or some other such method?

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Have your tried using a DIVX disc?

SheepStar
LOL, I was going to ask the exact same question...:)
I will have to try this later, I have not DL'ed the latest update.
And really have no use for the DiVX, but like usual, it is nice to see Sony keep adding more features that MAY come in handy for some people.

Thunder, reading the update. Did you check for this.
*Copyright-protected files or files that were encoded by using DivX 3.11 cannot be played.

The 2.00 update was more useful IMO, with the added full function for SACDs surround.
But sadly, 2.01 took that back, and went back to stereo only for SACD.
Have they re-added it for the 2.10?

And here is what I see all added.
The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.10 update includes the following:

Voice Changer
The Voice Changer feature has been added to voice / video chat. >

Music
You can now select [Type 3] as an option under [Settings] > [Music Settings] > [Bitmapping].

Video
DivX and VC-1 (WMV) have been added to the types of files that can be played. *1
Blu-ray Disc Profile 1.1 is now supported. *2
[BD Data Utility] has been added. *3

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
what is the type 3 bitmapping all about? What is the difference between the types?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the response guys, I'll try it out and let you know.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Well, I tried burning about 50 divx files to 2 different discs. One disc plays every file. The other disc only plays 1 file total. The files are all from 1 fansubbed anime series. Episodes 1-24 play. Episodes 50-75, only episode 55 plays. Craziness. I tried the TVersity route in the beginning but I can't get the PS3 to find my computer so that was a bust.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like a bad burn. ????
Heck, I even get the 'corrupted file' with USB drives.
Granted, I am still experimenting with all my WMA/WMV files.

I have very few DiVX files, but will try them soon for you.;)

But I certainly would try a reburn of the disc, or try loading direct through USB, so not to waste any discs.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I thought it might be a bad burn, but it plays fine on both my computers. I have tried them on a USB flash drive and the same files won't play still.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I thought it might be a bad burn, but it plays fine on both my computers. I have tried them on a USB flash drive and the same files won't play still.
Are you sure all those files are not DIVX 3.11?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
That's the only thing I'm not sure of. How do you determine the version?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis