ps3 and external hard drive

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
Is it possible to put all my dvds onto an external hard drive and run it thru a ps3? If so will it upconvert them?

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
I think it maybe possible but it would be a lot easier (and cheaper) just to get an up converting DVD player, I've seen them as low as $60-$70.
I would probably post this in the games section, one member, J Garcia knows a fair bit about the PS3.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
Could one of the mods please put this in the gaming area. Maybe it will get more hits. Thanks

edit: DONE

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No, you don't want to load up an externa drive with all your DVDs. The PS3 uses FAT32 over USB, so it wouldn't allow a full size DVD rip to be played back. I believe the limit for accessing a single file in FAT32 is 4GB. This means if you did rip your DVDs to the flash drive you would have to eliminate all special features, and possibly run some compression on the files.

IMO, this is a waste of time when you could simply plop the DVD into the PS3. This will save oodles of time and possibly money. Also, the PS3 will upscaling videos played back from a USB drive (assuming the format is supported). It has to do this simply because the output resolution of the PS3 is set to whatever the highest supported resolution of your display happens to be. By definition that is what scaling is, a conversion of a lower resolution to fit the resolution supported by the display. If it didn't upscale then your PS3 would drop to 480i or 480p by default (which it does not do).

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
It's very feasable to do it with an external drive.
Make sure it's FAT32 not NTFS. I made that mistake once.

I'm pretty sure that video files stored on internal/external HDD cannot use the same upscaling method the DVD player in the PS3 uses.
Best PQ: stick the DVD in (unless I test otherwise)

But, I've had good luck so far with Anime being on disk. PQ is good, but some discs that I've transfered to MPEG-2 have a bit of issue with bob/weave. It's hit or miss on my end, I just hate having to put discs in when I want to watch Anime.

Keep in mind, most of my Anime is 30 Minutes long per episode; a long continuous movie might be a problem.

Singular files have to be under 4GB.

Clusters cannot be 64 kilobytes (KB) or larger. If clusters are 64 KB or larger, some programs (such as Setup programs) may incorrectly calculate disk space.

A FAT32 volume must contain a minimum of 65,527 clusters. You cannot increase the cluster size on a volume that uses the FAT32 file system so that it contains fewer than 65,527 clusters.

The maximum disk size is approximately 8 terabytes when you take into account the following variables: The maximum possible number of clusters on a FAT32 volume is 268,435,445, and there is a maximum of 32 KB per cluster, along with the space required for the file allocation table (FAT).

You cannot decrease the cluster size on a FAT32 volume so that the size of the FAT is larger than 16 megabytes (MB) minus 64 KB.

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
thanks again for the posts. I heard the fan in the ps3 can be loud. So I may not get it. Unless there is a fan mod to make it quiet. Probably should just get a stand alone player that plays mp3s.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
thanks again for the posts. I heard the fan in the ps3 can be loud. So I may not get it. Unless there is a fan mod to make it quiet. Probably should just get a stand alone player that plays mp3s.
Well... two things

1.) the fans can not be modded, at least not in an easy fashion. The fan inside rather large and I believe it is custom fitted for the PS3.

Here are some pictures of the fan, courtesy of people that are brave enough to take the PS3 appart.

2.) The PS3 is not loud, and I get tired of people saying that it is just because the put it inside a closed cabinet and the fan starts to run fast. The fan is sensor controlled, which means it's speed is variable depending on how hot it gets. If out in the open in a climate controlled environment it will run quiet at all times with no problems. The fan is large and spins very slowly making it's operation very quiet considering the heat it moves. It doesn't encroach on the XBOX 360 in terms of loudness. It's also not much louder than my Toshiba HD-A3 or Laserdisc player. It's not loud enough to notice, even when listening to music.

I see you have the HD-A35, do you think it is loud? If you do, then maybe the PS3 is not for you. If you don't hardly notice it is making any noise, then you will not be bothered by the PS3.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you have the PS3 connected to your home network, you can simply stream the video to the PS3. No need to directly connect a USB hard disc.

I can hear my PS3's fan most of the time, but I do not consider it loud. Can't hear it at all when something is playing :D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
You want to get something that can play DVD's or movies and music off a hard drive... Apple TV or make a silent HTPC.

Apple TV won't play DVD's, but a HTPC can. HTPC's can be loud if you don't know what you are doing.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
2.) The PS3 is not loud, and I get tired of people saying that it is just because the put it inside a closed cabinet and the fan starts to run fast. The fan is sensor controlled, which means it's speed is variable depending on how hot it gets. If out in the open in a climate controlled environment it will run quiet at all times with no problems. The fan is large and spins very slowly making it's operation very quiet considering the heat it moves. It doesn't encroach on the XBOX 360 in terms of loudness. It's also not much louder than my Toshiba HD-A3 or Laserdisc player. It's not loud enough to notice, even when listening to music.

I see you have the HD-A35, do you think it is loud? If you do, then maybe the PS3 is not for you. If you don't hardly notice it is making any noise, then you will not be bothered by the PS3.
Sorry Seth, but I gotta disagree with you. I have my PS 3 sitting horizontally in an open TV stand and the fan quite often goes to the medium speed. Although I wouldn't call it "loud", it is definitely noticeable. You can hear at any time except loud action scenes. I find it pretty annoying.

Funny thing though, I used to have it vertical in another open cabinet, and I don't remember noticing the fan at all back then. Perhaps the PS 3 cools better when it is sitting vertically.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis