Pros & Cons of Various Center Channel Designs

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
That's for left/right stereo pairs. Lateral reflections for a center speaker are not as critical.

See: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-speaker

Harman's listening tests are normally performed monophonic. Just like a center channel. That off axis performance is part of what defines the timbral signature of a speaker. @Dennis Murphy

Listener's preferred the 3-way solution.

My comment of cancellations being caused by a 2 way MTM seems to keep getting ignored. Beyond off axis performance, the wavelengths being produced by the midrange drivers, will suffer cancellations due to the proximity of two identical drivers radiating identical frequencies. You will not hear everything the engineer intended. Period.

So if someone comes on here trying to choose between a 2-way or 2.5-3way center channel, this data has me recommending the 2.5-3 way solution. Not sure why that has everyone feeling emasculated. I didn't perform the tests, I'm just reading the results and sharing them.

There's this great book I keep talking about that only a handful have ever seen....

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Right. I've worked with a number of coaxial drivers, and the tell-tale symptom of a poorly executed design is a sharp dip in the upper highs caused by cancellations in the "tunnel" formed by the woofer cone. KEF appears to have solved that problem. They just haven't been able to design a perfectly flat speaker. I'm not sure anyone's done that.
I agree that coaxial drivers are hard to work with. However I did solve the nasty 9 KHz dip of the SEAS prestige. This speaker blends very well with the mains, and has very clear natural speech.

I have been very pleased with this speaker.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I hope gene's not sitting on his roof awaiting rescue right now...

C

curiousburke

Audiophyte
In the last line you mentioned my home theater room (small) being a good candidate for identical 2-way speakers under the screen, which may solve all my speakers problems. Do you mean having all three front speakers under the screen? And, what sort of issues can I expect from that; and, any other tips for speaker/screen placement (relative to head level) in that case? Thank you!

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
In the last line you mentioned my home theater room (small) being a good candidate for identical 2-way speakers under the screen, which may solve all my speakers problems. Do you mean having all three front speakers under the screen? And, what sort of issues can I expect from that; and, any other tips for speaker/screen placement (relative to head level) in that case? Thank you!
Your front soundstage will probably be better than with a center channel, assuming the speakers are of adequate quality.

They will most likely be taller than center channel, so you may have placement issues with that.

Dolby and a few speaker manufacturers have guides that prescribe optimum angle ranges to place speakers; a quick google will get you those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Depends on how far below and how well your speakers vertical dispersion is. I’d try to keep all speakers the same height (ear level), even if you have to elevate the screen. The left and right speakers should be placed about 80% of the distance apart from you listening position, so if you sit 10’ away, 8’ apart is a good starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Depends on how far below and how well your speakers vertical dispersion is. I’d try to keep all speakers the same height (ear level), even if you have to elevate the screen. The left and right speakers should be placed about 80% of the distance apart from you listening position, so if you sit 10’ away, 8’ apart is a good starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A way to solve differing heights is tilting your center speaker, up or down, towards the MLP.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Hey folks, its been a while since I've been here, nice to see the activity is still strong! Recently sold all my gear (except my old faithful Adcom GFA-7300) which consisted of Klipsch RP-260F/RP-450C/Rp-250S/SnapAV Episode 12" ported sub and Anthem MRX-510) as I am moving to townhouse where this rig simply doesn't fit. New space is a basement room, 16x12x9 (gear and front three channels on the long wall so I'm sitting fairly close and sofa will only be about 3' from rear wall), partially underground and an end unit (fortunately).

My plan is to advantage of the new pricing on ML Motion LX-16s for my new space. Question is, do I buy a pair, three and in-ceilings for rears or 5 matched? The Motion 30 center is nice but pricy and all this MTM talk has me scratching my head a bit. This is new construction so I can adapt layout to suit the best sound possible whether that's placing three identical LX-16 bookshelves on 24" stands or two LX's on stands and a Motion 30 on a console which could store my media.

I am also thinking of buying an SVS-2000 sub and NAD T758 V3 (MQA and Direc Live onboard) for this room. Lastly, I am still to audition Dali Zensors and new Kef Q150s before making final decision.

Thanks and please comment away on any of the above even though this is technically a center channel thread. :)

Thank you.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
If you don't have a big screen tv do you even need a center channel? I have a 4.1 in the bedroom and don't miss the center one bit. Dialogue sounds fantastic. I believe a center is necessary with a large tv where you would have a hole from the mains being too far apart. Plus, you free up more power from your AVR to your mains and surrounds for greater dynamics. I thought I'd share a different perspective because saying the center is the most important speaker is a little overrated. I think your mains are your most important speakers. BTW, in your AVR you can turn off your center but not your mains. Goes to show that you don't need a center and the mains are your most important speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis