Pros and Cons on Hardware vs Software Region-free features on DVD/Blu-ray Players

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My question is:

If you buy a Blu-ray player which had a Region-free software installed by a third-party seller, when an update becomes available from the manufacturer and you proceed to have the update downloaded to the player, does this action disable the region-free software that had been installed by the selling party or a distributor?

The situation should not arise when a region-free hardware module is installed, but with a software? A manufacturer could deliberately arrange to have the software inoperative after the update.

Your comments and experiences are welcome.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My Oppo's are 'universal' in their ability to read PAL or NTSC, but without a PAL compatible display it is a useless feature.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My question is:

If you buy a Blu-ray player which had a Region-free software installed by a third-party seller, when an update becomes available from the manufacturer and you proceed to have the update downloaded to the player, does this action disable the region-free software that had been installed by the selling party or a distributor?

The situation should not arise when a region-free hardware module is installed, but with a software? A manufacturer could deliberately arrange to have the software inoperative after the update.

Yeah, s/w is likely to get broken with a future update.

Dunno, region free just isn't as important as it used to be, considering all the streaming options today.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My question is:

Yes it does. If you buy one of those players, don't even think of connecting it to the Internet.

I have one dedicated to playing out of region discs.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
This is an excellent example of why I love backing up my Blu-Rays and DVDs. By doing so, you can easily do away with all the region and pal/ntsc nonsense.

If I'm not mistaken, the industry is moving away from region specific discs with 4K Blu-Ray. Hooray!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My Oppo's are 'universal' in their ability to read PAL or NTSC, but without a PAL compatible display it is a useless feature.
I have a BDP-95 on which I installed a region-free hardware obtained from the authorized seller, and there's no problem with the updating. I am going to keep it for playing a few Region 2 DVDs that I have.

But I won't have to look for a region-free 4K player as discs with this new format don't carry any specific region anyway.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis