Proposed new system, suggestions?

D

dubsac

Audiophyte
I am putting together a HT system for my new apartment. The furniture is very modern and minimalistic, so looks play a big role in my selection of speakers and tv. Here is what I am currently leaning towards:

Denon AVR-3805 Receiver
Denon DVD-5900 DVD
Pioneer PDP-5040HD 50" plasma
B&W FPM5 "Flat Panel" speakers (Front, Rear, Center)
B&W Sub (ASW 600 or 675) or ??

Does anyone have the B&W FPM speakers? They look incredibly cool and would complement the Pioneer plasma, especially with the black finish. I plan to wall-mount the plasma with concealed wiring and would wall-mount the front and center B&W FPM5's as well. Also, should I go with a B&W sub with these speakers or does it really matter?

Also, is the Denon DVD-5900 worth the extra grand over the DVD-2900? The reasons I were leaning toward the 5900 are the Denon Link compatibility with the 3805 and the Faroudja video processing chip that scales DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p or 1080i.

Any opinions, tips, or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Sub doesn't need to match per se, but it should be able to extend up to the bottom range of the main speakers. Given your parameters, look for manufacturers who are especially good at getting big sound out of small packages (SPL Series from Velodyne is a decent example, and not terribly pricey.)

Definitely listen to whatever speakers you are going to buy - this is doubly important when trying to purchase "flat panel" speakers.

Denon link will be cool, so I can see your desire to upgrade to the 5900. Less wires, excellent quality.

D

dubsac

Audiophyte
Thanks Hawke - I am planning to listen to the B&W FPM speakers in the next couple days. The other direction I could go for aesthetics would be in-wall speakers.

In-walls can be cool as they often provide a larger box for producing more accurate sound... but again, you probably want to hear your options. try to stay in the same room so you can hear options in the same place (since you may not be able to take the speakers home).

If you can purchase form a place that lets you take them back or exchange if you aren't satisfied - even better (obviously not in-walls).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis