Proper Subwoofer/Speaker Config with 2.0 Content LFE/LFE+Main

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I picked up a JL Audio Fathom f112v2-GLOSS for a steal a while back and when I sold my GE T1s for my current setup, I was looking forward to testing it out. I am currently revamping my basement home theater and have been testing out my Persona 3F in the family room. I hooked up to Spotify and noticed my sub did not kick in. I know Spotify only sends audio 2.0, not sure on Tidal.

How do I properly configure my AVR to play bass on 2.0 Content.
1) Do I need to set L/R my speakers to small so it will kick in and set the crossover
2) Do I enable LFE+Main (Doesn't that mean that bass content gets sent to both speakers)
3) I also have the option to set up bass manually vs auto, if I set it up as manual, will it just default to sub on 2.0 content?

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
How do I properly configure my AVR to play bass on 2.0 Content.
1) Do I need to set L/R my speakers to small so it (sub) will kick in and set the crossover
Yes, start with 80Hz is a good ROT.
Consider a bit lower if towers with 8" or bigger woofers, or a bit higher if bookshelf with 5" or smaller woofers.
2) Do I enable LFE+Main (Doesn't that mean that bass content gets sent to both speakers)
Depends on the AVR (make& model would help), but in most cases, only makes a difference if Main speakers are set to Large. ITC the bass (below bass management setting) is produced by both the Mains and the sub(s), aka Double Bass.
3) I also have the option to set up bass manually vs auto, if I set it up as manual, will it just default to sub on 2.0 content?
For most AVRs, it will include sub in Stereo mode and exclude it in Direct mode.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't do LFE+Main. You're throwing off your nice even fr by more less double dipping into bass.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Like already mentioned the sub should play when in stereo mode. As for main + LFE if found that at lower volumes it sounded good, kind of like my Onkyo having dynamic eq or the old school loudness button.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I switched my Marantz to Manual default to play 2 channel audio w/sub and didn't need to change my speaker size. Its working now, thanks for the input. I did not want to do the LFE+main. I will say that the JL Audio sub is pure musical bass bliss lol

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Find the Boz Scaggs' song "Thanks to You" for a deep bass workout for your sub.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Find the Boz Scaggs' song "Thanks to You" for a deep bass workout for your sub.

If another JL sub that cheap again I will go dual, but even solo it is a beast

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've experimented with LFE+Main essentially with each speaker/sub combo I've tried and it's never stuck for me, altho with certain things (which probably got me reaching for controls to begin with) it could sound okay. As to whether that's "proper" I suppose depends on definition to an extent but then there's always simple preference....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis