Proper Amp for UM18-22

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Just received the sealed Ultimax kit from PE. I also grabbed a crown XLS2502 from Crutchfield. I'm starting with one Ultimax to see how I like building it, and if I do the plan is to eventually have quads.

I bought the 2502 hoping it'd have enough power to run a pair (i.e 2 amps to run the quads). At 4 Ohms the Crown will put out 775wpc in stereo, 2400w bridged. I'm wondering if I'd be better off running an XLS 1002 at 1100w bridged.

I'm also wondering what the power consumption of the amps are like to see if it's necessary to run a dedicated circuit, or if I'd be ok just locating to amps where the subs will go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd build the sub first before worrying about other amps than what you've got. I think the 2502 even with just one channel per sub will work fine but....I run several amps off a single outlet without problems but am not trying to set spl records either. What spl levels you thinking about?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I'd build the sub first before worrying about other amps than what you've got. I think the 2502 even with just one channel per sub will work fine but....I run several amps off a single outlet without problems but am not trying to set spl records either. What spl levels you thinking about?
I think around 100 or so. I know that as I add each one I'll get about 3db of additional output ( that's what @TLS Guy mentioned), and I feel like approximately 109db with all four, plus any room gain I might get, ought to be PLENTY. If I had a dedicated room it might be a different situation, but alas.

The plan right now is to run some tests in REW using one channel, see if it works for me, then run the amp bridged ( with the gain turned down?) to see how it performs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subs placed within a quarter wavelength of each other can see gains of 6dB....2-4dB I think is a good general estimation for each additional sub....I wouldn't worry about the electricity supply yet either. Would you install something for beefy amps like a dedicated 20A circuit?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Subs placed within a quarter wavelength of each other can see gains of 6dB....2-4dB I think is a good general estimation for each additional sub....I wouldn't worry about the electricity supply yet either. Would you install something for beefy amps like a dedicated 20A circuit?
That was the direction my thinking was going in. Watching a video Gene did got me thinking about it. He mentioned how much power plate amps could draw and it got me thinking about the amps I'm planning on using. He mentioned having enough power so as to not cause line loss- working in power delivery I know about the negative effects;)

I think at the very least I'll have an electrician friend trace my circuits. In reality I don't go past -20 or -15 to frequently, but I'm not sure what the addition of the crowns might do in the event I've got other sources lurking on that circuit- lights, ceiling fan, etc

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was the direction my thinking was going in. Watching a video Gene did got me thinking about it. He mentioned how much power plate amps could draw and it got me thinking about the amps I'm planning on using. He mentioned having enough power so as to not cause line loss- working in power delivery I know about the negative effects;)

I think at the very least I'll have an electrician friend trace my circuits. In reality I don't go past -20 or -15 to frequently, but I'm not sure what the addition of the crowns might do in the event I've got other sources lurking on that circuit- lights, ceiling fan, etc
Hey, ya gotta demo the system a coupla times, right? :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Hey, ya gotta demo the system a coupla times, right? :)
I talked to my electrician friend last night. We agreed a flicker test was the way to go- to get it all cranking and see if any lights flicker:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis