K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Hi everyone. I've gotten so much good advice on audio here why go anywhere else for projector advice. Right now I have an epson 8350 and it's been great. Looking to upgrade to 4k with a 2k budget. I'm assuming there aren't any true 4k projectors in my budget but was wondering what your guys thoughts are. Right now the epson is shooting a 120 in screen. I'd like to keep the same screen size. Thx in advance!

P

Projectorenthusiast

Audiophyte
I have owned plenty of projectors in the years from lcd ,dlp and dila jvc projectors. If you have a dedicated theater I highly recommend a used jvc projector in the price point. If you don't have dedicated area then I guess an epson 5050 will be a great choice.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Thx for the input is the 5050 a big step up from the 4010? It's 1000 more which would be a stretch for me but if it's worth it I can swing it

P

Projectorenthusiast

Audiophyte
If I were you I would just wait it out until September ,jvc might announce new projector and you will find used nx5 for your price point. Epson can't compete with jvc

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
*sigh*

This is always a tough question. If I had the 8350, and you are reasonably happy with it, then I would keep it for a year or two more. The used market is tough right now for quality 4K models. The new market is mediocre. The 4010 is probably about as close to a direct replacement to the 8350 on the market. It has that nice long zoom lens which the 8350 is using. So, throw distance isn't going to be an issue.

But, the 5050 is a solid step up from the 4010 and is the premiere model for home theater use.

The jump from 1080p to 4K isn't night and day. You have a quality projector. You will need to upgrade your cabling to the projector, the AV receiver, and all your sources so that you can provide 4K source material to the projector. That's something to keep in mind as well.

At the end of the day, I agree with @Projectorenthusiast that JVC delivers the best image in a dedicated theater space. But, if you are set on upgrading now, I would call the 4010 a very parallel move to the 8350 and not a huge upgrade. More of a resolution bump with HDR support. The 5050 is an actual all around upgrade. The JVC RS440 (DLA X590) would compete with the 5050 pretty well. The JVC RS540 (X790) would be a solid model that could best the 5050. Either of these units may be had under $3,000. But, they are hard to find on the used market.

The 4K native models are just expensive and exclusively come from JVC and Sony.

DLP is decent, but I wouldn't take them at $2,000+ unless it is the LG HU810 which is a laser model and ideal for brighter rooms.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Thank you bmxtrix for your advice. I think in this case I am better off waiting....maybe in a year or so the 4k options will be a little better in my price range or I can pick up something used in the jvc line. I have been very happy with the 8350 but everything else is ready for 4k (receiver, player, etc) so I thought now might be the time. I'd rather wait then get say the 5050 and then a year from now have to get something else. Looks like I'll have to spend the extra money on more audio equipment! Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis