Projector that fully supports HDR10/BT.2020

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys, I've done some looking and I can't really find a clear answer to my question.

I've read up on quite a few of the newly released projectors that tout 4k HDR compatibility, but when I keep reading they say they support REC .709, but not BT.2020.

I'm under the impression that the higher JVC models and all the Sony 4k models support HDR (BT.2020). Am I correct?

I'm not worried about Epson since I can't really watch an LCD projector without getting a headache.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are HDR10 projectors. Afaik there no devices TV, Projector or even Pro Display monitors which support 100% of BT.2020 color space, best ones support smaller DCI-P3 color space)
https://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/sony-vpl-vw285es-4k-home-theater-projector-special-features/
Thanks, that's pretty much what I've come up with. 100% isn't necessary, but what I've read of the DLP projectors they barely manage much more than REC709 much less BT.2020. A few get close to P3, but since they are first gen I won't bite. I think the sony you linked is still going to be my top contender.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, that's pretty much what I've come up with. 100% isn't necessary, but what I've read of the DLP projectors they barely manage much more than REC709 much less BT.2020. A few get close to P3, but since they are first gen I won't bite. I think the sony you linked is still going to be my top contender.
TV's advance at a much faster rate and they get to use the full size of their display to their advantage. When it comes to projection, you've got to pack the ever increasing number of pixels on to a single chip, and then throw a lamp and a lens at it. DLP I am surprised seems to be resurfacing, but can't escape the need for a color wheel, as I understand it.

I've only been in to projection for a year now, and am already getting ready to upgrade later this year as my wife wants to enjoy a large screen in our bedroom too now. So our little Epson 2045 will move upstairs, and I am looking at JVC due to their endless rave reviews about blacks and contrast. They don't offer full 4K output, but I don't own any, anyway.

What are your thoughts on Sony?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
TV's advance at a much faster rate and they get to use the full size of their display to their advantage. When it comes to projection, you've got to pack the ever increasing number of pixels on to a single chip, and then throw a lamp and a lens at it. DLP I am surprised seems to be resurfacing, but can't escape the need for a color wheel, as I understand it.

I've only been in to projection for a year now, and am already getting ready to upgrade later this year as my wife wants to enjoy a large screen in our bedroom too now. So our little Epson 2045 will move upstairs, and I am looking at JVC due to their endless rave reviews about blacks and contrast. They don't offer full 4K output, but I don't own any, anyway.

What are your thoughts on Sony?
The Sony that BSA linked is at the top of my list. I really like what Sony is doing with their displays. If their projectors are as good as their TVs I'll have it for a long time.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony that BSA linked is at the top of my list. I really like what Sony is doing with their displays. If their projectors are as good as their TVs I'll have it for a long time.
The only thing I am going to miss about the Epson being on main system duty, is the $60 lamps! FWIW I ask my wife to leave the pj on when she uses it so to minimize the heat cycles. We're right at 2000 hours and no dimming issues yet! (hope I didn't just jinx myself....)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The only thing I am going to miss about the Epson being on main system duty, is the $60 lamps! FWIW I ask my wife to leave the pj on when she uses it so to minimize the heat cycles. We're right at 2000 hours and no dimming issues yet! (hope I didn't just jinx myself....)
It took about 3000 or so for my first lamp to die in my Mitsubishi HC4000. I got one of the "cheap" lamps as a replacement and it's done well. I've had it a few years now since I don't use the PJ for daily viewing anymore.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
It’s my understanding that Sony’s 285 and 385 4K projectors are not full bandwidth HDMI 2.0. I have seen them in action though and was impressed.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It’s my understanding that Sony’s 285 and 385 4K projectors are not full bandwidth HDMI 2.0. I have seen them in action though and was impressed.
That is true, but would only matter for 4k 60hz 10 bit color. It will support 4k 60hz 8 bit so I'd be OK with that.

Maybe I'll get lucky and by the time I look to purchase there will be a new model out...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think one of the main reasons for Sony doing this is the lack of content in this realm. Movies, at 24fps, can pass at the Sony bandwidth.

As remains the case, there is no 'perfect' projector out there yet. But, every year, it seems that we are getting just a bit closer. Sony will get on board with 18Gb/s connections soon enough, and their TVs remain well respected in the industry. So, they have 18Gb/s capability, and they will get it into the projectors, and we will see prices drop, and things improve, etc., etc.

The Sony HW45ES hasn't been upgraded in a couple of years now. By most accounts, it remains the absolute best image you can get under $2,000. I would buy one over everything out there under $3,000 today. In fact, the next step up from that would be a JVC.

Projectors simply aren't TVs, They aren't as bright, and they never will be. They have issues creating huge contrast ranges within a single shot, and their dynamic contrast is something that I find visually distracting.

Since film is not shot to Rec 2020 but DCI P3 (I believe I may be quoting this not quite right), so at this point, Sony really focuses (pun!) on hitting the same colorspace that theaters and digital cinema uses. They don't strive to hit what gaming consoles can achieve at the highest end.

This isn't a long term 'perfect' solution, but since projector junkies often upgrade every five years or so, it's the right solution for right now to get the best possible image on screen for a home movie theater. JVC often follows the same approach, but JVC with their 5th generation 4k products has had more time in this arena. I wish JVC would compete with Sony under $2,000, but between the HW45ES and the 285ES, there is JVC sitting there and tons of people buying, which would include me if budget allowed.

I want to point out that about 17 years ago I had a 120 pound projector hanging from the ceiling in my family room. It was one-tenth as bright as what I have today and never was as sharp. Just a reminder that we've come a really long way in a fairly short time span.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for that. I think I'm looking at the Sony just because of how good their TVs are right now. My second choice is JVC without a doubt. I guess when I said BT.2020 I was really meaning P3 so that makes it a bit easier to achieve.

The reviews of the Sony are pretty great as well as JVC so I don't think I could go wrong with either. I'm not in the market at all since my HC4000 is still working like a champ, but my 4K collection is growing and I'd like to view them on the big screen sooner rather than later. I'd say a year or so.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for that. I think I'm looking at the Sony just because of how good their TVs are right now. My second choice is JVC without a doubt. I guess when I said BT.2020 I was really meaning P3 so that makes it a bit easier to achieve.

The reviews of the Sony are pretty great as well as JVC so I don't think I could go wrong with either. I'm not in the market at all since my HC4000 is still working like a champ, but my 4K collection is growing and I'd like to view them on the big screen sooner rather than later. I'd say a year or so.
I can't deny my own hesitation - what if 4K becomes the standard, and I buy a $5k JVC that won't project a full 4K image....

It matters precisely zero, now - I have no 4K content. I'd prefer not to join the bandwagon of buying a new PJ every few years....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I can't deny my own hesitation - what if 4K becomes the standard, and I buy a $5k JVC that won't project a full 4K image....

It matters precisely zero, now - I have no 4K content. I'd prefer not to join the bandwagon of buying a new PJ every few years....
I agree. I'm only looking since I've got quite a lot of content now. I wouldn't even be thinking about it except I bought a 4k Sony TV for my office and after seeing HDR (even on that cheap TV) I want that on my projector.

That and as much as I love my Mitsubishi, the black levels have always been a sore spot. I would just have to think of what I would do with a second projector. I guess I could always use it in the yard or something...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. I'm only looking since I've got quite a lot of content now. I wouldn't even be thinking about it except I bought a 4k Sony TV for my office and after seeing HDR (even on that cheap TV) I want that on my projector.

That and as much as I love my Mitsubishi, the black levels have always been a sore spot. I would just have to think of what I would do with a second projector. I guess I could always use it in the yard or something...
Trouble is, anything is an upgrade - the Epson 2045 is an awesome big screen experience for little money, but far from movie theater picture quality. I'm content with it for now, but my wife has decided she'd like to have projection in our bedroom too. Hopefully some new full 4K models will arrive in the fall...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis