Projector possible?

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
Hi! We are working on putting a HT system in our loft area. I really would love to do a projector/screen setup but I don’t think it’s feasible due to the room layout. See attached picture. Excuse the mess. Lol. The height from the floor to the ceiling at the back wall is only 5 ft. So I think I have to go with a large screen tv. What do you experts think? Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If the room is the typical 18-20FT length and you want a traditional rear projector, then I say get a TV.

If the room is much longer, you can still mount the PJ on the ceiling.

Or you can get those ULTRA-SHORT-THROW PJ + Screen.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Problem with a screen is how far up the angled ceiling will you have to go to get the screen to fit and at the right height? Does not look very practical in that photo. That also rules out wall mounting the TV. I would get a low profile stand and as large a TV as you can fit under that ceiling. You can move the stand out a bit to gain some more height.

Other thing to watch for is where to place a center speakers? If the stand is low, the center speaker could end up being too close to the floor and the angled ceiling makes a speaker above the TV impractical. You are probably best off to use just front L+R with a phantom center and forgo the center speaker.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
Problem with a screen is how far up the angled ceiling will you have to go to get the screen to fit and at the right height? Does not look very practical in that photo. That also rules out wall mounting the TV. I would get a low profile stand and as large a TV as you can fit under that ceiling. You can move the stand out a bit to gain some more height.

Other thing to watch for is where to place a center speakers? If the stand is low, the center speaker could end up being too close to the floor and the angled ceiling makes a speaker above the TV impractical. You are probably best off to use just front L+R with a phantom center and forgo the center speaker.
Yep! Thanks! I think that is what I am going to have to do. Good call on the center speaker. How does a phantom center speaker work? Would there possibly be some setting in my receiver for this?

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
If the room is the typical 18-20FT length and you want a traditional rear projector, then I say get a TV.

If the room is much longer, you can still mount the PJ on the ceiling.

Or you can get those ULTRA-SHORT-THROW PJ + Screen.

Yes, it is the typical length so I think the TV would work best. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration about a center (and left/right speakers) is putting them behind an acoustically transparent projection screen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks! I did not know those existed.
Many commercial theaters have such. It does make the screen more costly, too :) To answer your question about a phantom center, your L/R speakers will create a phantom center, particularly if you sit right between them.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
Many commercial theaters have such. It does make the screen more costly, too :) To answer your question about a phantom center, your L/R speakers will create a phantom center, particularly if you sit right between them.
Gotcha! So just do not wire a center speaker to the receiver (use just L and R)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also don't tell the avr that there is a center, rather than just not hook one up....(just to be sure :) ).

Automatic setup routines would automatically do such, too.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
With an acoustically transparent screen you need 1 or 2 feet to have space for the speakers behind the screen. Measure how high up that would put you on the angled ceiling and how low you want the screen to go (you don't want to be looking at the floor). That will likely give you the biggest image possible, but with screens you need to keep ambient light in mind. You want a dark room when using a screen while a modern LED panel will have a very bright image that works well in both low a higher light conditions. Think about cabling too when considering a projector. You need to get power and video signals up there.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
With an acoustically transparent screen you need 1 or 2 feet to have space for the speakers behind the screen. Measure how high up that would put you on the angled ceiling and how low you want the screen to go (you don't want to be looking at the floor). That will likely give you the biggest image possible, but with screens you need to keep ambient light in mind. You want a dark room when using a screen while a modern LED panel will have a very bright image that works well in both low a higher light conditions. Think about cabling too when considering a projector. You need to get power and video signals up there.
Thanks! I did measure and it unfortunately would be now too close to the seats.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis