R

Ras777

Audioholic
I purchased a Peerless AV- PRG Universal mount for my projector. It was highly rated and is rated for projectors up to 50lbs. It has a gearbox which makes fine adjustments very easy with no tools. Unfortunately I am a bit concerned with the lack of stability of the unit on this mount. Because of the gearbox design it moves and wobbles a bit when touched especially when removing the lens cover. Anyone have experience with this issue? This is a very expensive projector and I want to make sure this thing can handel the 44lbs of my JVC RS2000. BMX would love to get your opinion on this?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I tested the PRG-UNV when it first came out, and that was my top complaint. It is a VERY capable mount. So, it's not going to drop the projector, but I didn't like how it didn't seem to be able to lock in as tight as the Chief RPMAU mounts are capable of.

I used a Chief RPMAU with my DLA590 and as has always been the case, it does lock in extremely tight, while still offering some worm-gear style adjustments.

Of course, the Chief RPMAU runs even more than the Peerless.... so, there's that. In reality though, I buy the Chief off of eBay when they come up and I typically get them for well under $100. Sometimes brand new in the box.

I wouldn't say you should return it. Certainly not if you aren't getting all your money back. But, from the start I always recommend the RPMAU over the Peerless because I simply have not seen a better mount on the market to this point.

That's a complete unit, but you can get the RPM mount by itself, or used as part of a complete setup for not that much...

Then you need a SLBU (universal bracket) to go on it, or order a custom plate specifically for the JVC if you want. I use the SLBU...

Be aware, that the keyed locking systems such as the RPMA, RPMB, and RPMC models actually use a slightly different SLBU than the non-keyed/locking models...

So, you would need an SLBU which has studs instead of screws. In fairness, I've actually never tried to use the SLBU with screws on the locking series of RPM mounts. They may work just fine!

Worth noting that the custom bracket for the NX7/RS2000 is the same that JVC has used on their older models, so it is the 281 custom interface bracket.

I've picked up many Chief mounts over the years in various configurations and I've always used them in my installations. I've only used a non-Chief mount a couple of times, and I always regretted it. This includes the Peerless, but I've used cheaper ones and they just get worse and worse.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I can see why you went with the Cheif. I wish I consulted with you first. Since you think it's safe on this mount I will keep it for the time being. Thank you.

M

Mskate07

Audiophyte
Wondered how the OP did longer term with the Peerless mount? I’m in a similar position - interested if there were any identified issues to this date with the Peerless mount.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I have been using this mount all along and can honestly say it has giving me zero issues. The stability issues I originally brought up only pertain if you touch the unit. I have not experienced any movement from either walking around in the room or during bass heavy movies.

M

Mskate07

Audiophyte
That’s a great update, much appreciated. I’ve just purchased a new JVC RS440 and want to use the same Peerless mount. The RS440 was the last E-Shift model before introduction of RS1000/2000/3000. Peerless separateply sells a specific JVC mounting plate (at additional cost). Can’t figure out why I would need that, so I’ll stay with same mount that’s given you no issues.

On a separate topic, enabling HDR on the RS440 is just terrible out of the box. Colors are incredibly oversaturated and faces (for example) are crushed and crimson red. Hoping calibration will solve this. Any advice on what you’ve done to improve HDR on the RS2000?

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I’ve never experienced those problems that you have. I never had a professional calibration since the auto tone mapping and theater optimizer seem to do a fantastic job on the picture. I have 135 inch screen and I am truly amazed at the picture quality on this projector.

M

Mskate07

Audiophyte
Good info. From your reply, I may move up to the NX5 or NX7 (both are the same physical size). Did you have any challenge extending the Peerless spider arms to the corners of the NX7? I’d like to make sure my current mount (same as yours) will fit without issue.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
The spider arms fit perfectly on my unit. Just be careful not to over tighten and strip the screws. Now that I have lived with this mount for the past 18 months I really can’t say anything negative about it. It will allow for precise alignment of your picture and it’s reasonably priced. I bought my projector from dream media out of Frisco Texas. It was only 5899 with free shipping. I’ve noticed now they’re trying to get 9000 for these units not sure why.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis