Projector image size calculation

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
I would like to know how to calculate what size screen I can obtain at a certain throw distance? For example my projector will be approx 12' from the screen and I would like to have around a 60" wide screen (not diagonal), will the distance I have be sufficient? And if I find it necessary can I reduce the image size while leaving the projector at the same distance from the screen, or will I have to move the projector closer? The reason I ask is, ideally I would like to have the projector against the back wall and due to front wall space I may need to reduce the size of the screen, and I want to do this without moving the mounting location. Also will reducing the image size make for a better picture? I hope this make sense Thank you for the help.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Usually you can acheive a range of sizes at a particular distance (a minimum size, maximum size, and everything in between). This is accomplished by using the zoom in/out ring on the projector. The projector you are looking at or have bought will tell you the throwing distances. Without knowing which projector your dealing with, its impossible to tell. I set my Infocus 4805 up by deciding the smallest picture I would want and mounting the projector as close to the front of the room as possible to produce that size and the zoom function is always there to enlarge it a little when needed to fill the screen.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can use zoom on projectors to adjust size, but there are very few projectors that allow you to go that small from that distance. A few, yes, but not many. Most require you to be about 1.2x screen width away - give or take. Some, like the Panasonic AE-700 give you greater range, but I don't believe even as much as you want. 144 icnhes away from a 60 inch wide screen is gonna cost more very likely and require a pricey long throw projector or one with interchangable lenses.

Business has a bunch of interchangable stuff in the $10K range. Home theater just doesn't have a lot of stuff but some adapters are available for a few grand.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis