Projector connections for Atmos?

S

SECDEF66

Audiophyte
I just bought a BENQ HT3550 and need to hook up my Marantz Atmos rcvr. I have an ARC output on my Marantz but my new projector just has two 2.1 hdmi hdcp 2.2 ports. If I connect a high speed optical hdmi to one of these and use t,he other for my Fire Tv Cube will I get Atmos sound? Do I still connect to the ARC output hdmi monitor 1 output or to monitor 2 hdmi output or do I have to run two high speed hdmi cables and bring one back from the projector to an hdmi input on the rcvr? This is driving me crazy trying to find an answer as I currently have an 11.2 Atmos setup with ceiling speakers and it’s awesome so I want to make Atmos work on my new projector. Thanks a bunch if someone can help!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Plug your equipment into the Marantz.

This is a common question from those first getting into AV, but you receiver should be thought of as your main hub for all the gear. Audio AND video goes into it. Hence why it is called an AV RECEIVER. It receives both audio and video.

So, with your different sources plugged directly into your receiver, you then plug all your speakers and your projector into the receiver. Since your projector is not providing any audio or video to the receiver, it doesn't matter which connection point you make between them. I'm not sure which Marantz you are using, but let's say it is the brand new SR5015...

There are two video outputs (OUTPUTS!) on the back. One is eARC compatible. That stands for enhanced audio return channel. But, since you will not be using that function, it doesn't matter if you have that functionality or not. This means that you may use that connection, or you can use the other one. Either one is fine.

S

SECDEF66

Audiophyte
Plug your equipment into the Marantz.

This is a common question from those first getting into AV, but you receiver should be thought of as your main hub for all the gear. Audio AND video goes into it. Hence why it is called an AV RECEIVER. It receives both audio and video.

So, with your different sources plugged directly into your receiver, you then plug all your speakers and your projector into the receiver. Since your projector is not providing any audio or video to the receiver, it doesn't matter which connection point you make between them. I'm not sure which Marantz you are using, but let's say it is the brand new SR5015...

There are two video outputs (OUTPUTS!) on the back. One is eARC compatible. That stands for enhanced audio return channel. But, since you will not be using that function, it doesn't matter if you have that functionality or not. This means that you may use that connection, or you can use the other one. Either one is fine.
Also sorry I do have all my gaming and media players attached to the rcvr now and one ARC output to my current tv.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you for responding, that makes sense except for the smart function of the projector? If it has android tv and you can use airplay and I am watching a movie through say Netflix my sound would not go back to the rcvr from the projector through the one hdmi? Am I thinking right or would it through the second hdmi port if I connected it to an open hdmi input on the rcvr? Hopefully I am not being a pain here my rcvr is an SR-7011.
The projector is not a source. It does not support audio only through HDMI (this isn't actually a thing anyway). It does not support audio return channel. If it did, it would be listed on the specifications or labeled right on the back of the projector.

Since you are already hooking up your receiver to a TV in the room using the ARC connection, then that would be used to playback from smart functions built into the TV.

At the projector, even if it had something built in, you wouldn't want to use it. Instead, just use a smart appliance which has the features you want. Like Roku, GoogleTV, Chromecast, AppleTV, etc. Then plug that smart device into your Marantz as another source for your system.

The ONLY connection you make between the Marantz and the projector is the HDMI OUT 2 connection. That will feed video from your source, through the Marantz, to the projector. The projector will act like a computer monitor. It won't be a source or smart device in any way whatsoever.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Also sorry I do have all my gaming and media players attached to the rcvr now and one ARC output to my current tv.
BMXTRIX is correct. Since the projector does not have eARC you can not get sound back from Smart Apps in the projector to your receiver. Only eARC supports what you want, optical will not.

So you will have to use your projector as an end device only and not a source. So you need devices connected to your receiver inputs to do what you want. That is your only option.

S

SECDEF66

Audiophyte
The projector is not a source. It does not support audio only through HDMI (this isn't actually a thing anyway). It does not support audio return channel. If it did, it would be listed on the specifications or labeled right on the back of the projector.

Since you are already hooking up your receiver to a TV in the room using the ARC connection, then that would be used to playback from smart functions built into the TV.

At the projector, even if it had something built in, you wouldn't want to use it. Instead, just use a smart appliance which has the features you want. Like Roku, GoogleTV, Chromecast, AppleTV, etc. Then plug that smart device into your Marantz as another source for your system.

The ONLY connection you make between the Marantz and the projector is the HDMI OUT 2 connection. That will feed video from your source, through the Marantz, to the projector. The projector will act like a computer monitor. It won't be a source or smart device in any way whatsoever.
Ok got it, now I realize I just paid extra for a smart projector (HT-3550i) dang it. Oh well live a learn...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok got it, now I realize I just paid extra for a smart projector (HT-3550i) dang it. Oh well live a learn...
Actually I do not think it was your fault entirely, making a Smart projector without providing an eARC HDMI input/output was just pain dumb and borderline dishonest. The old ARC was a cluster you know what, but eARC actually does work as advertised.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is a live and learn type of thing. I wasn't even aware of the 3550i. I'm well aware of the 3550. I think it is long overdue for projector manufacturers to include smart features into their products.

But, yes, you need to have it as a dedicated source.

The 'i' portion of the BenQ 3550i is garbage IMO. The problem is that this projector doesn't support surround sound at all. It supports stereo. That's it. So, even with a firmware update that allows for audio return channel (ARC) to be used.

The best audio which is supported is STEREO!

WHAT THE F.....!!!!

Why bother?

A $30 Roku Stick will outperform this projector when it comes to audio quality as long as that Roku stick is plugged directly into your AV receiver.

The limitations of ARC are not mentioned at all in the owner's manual for the product.
It is clear, from the link provided, that this was an afterthought addendum to the projector itself.

But, at the end of the day, as projectors slowly integrate 'smart' functionality, they will be dragged (kicking and screaming) down a pathway which allows them to use eARC and high quality audio formats which are passed on to receivers, speaker bars, and other eARC enabled products. I'm okay with this... kind of.

You see, you got a really nice receiver and you did just end up paying a bit more for functionality in a projector that is useless. It would have been better to not spend that money on the projector, but instead get a high quality streaming device like a Roku Ultra, or a nVidia Shield Pro.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis