Projector and screen question

A

aabrams

Enthusiast
Hi ALL,

I have a few professionals giving me quotes, but I have radically different size screens. Please help me wade through this. Link to room layout (10X16)

http://mishami.image.pbase.com/o4/06/24206/1/57461084.HomeTheaterArea.jpg

one guy is suggesting the following:
BENQ PE8720
Draper Onyx 119"

The other guy is suggesting
Infocus IN72
92" Draper Cineperm

Which projector is going to make me happier?
Which screen is the right size for the room?

This will probably make the decision on which guy I go with.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
aabrams said:
Hi ALL,
I have a few professionals giving me quotes, but I have radically different size screens. Please help me wade through this. Link to room layout (10X16)
http://mishami.image.pbase.com/o4/06/24206/1/57461084.HomeTheaterArea.jpg
one guy is suggesting the following:
BENQ PE8720
Draper Onyx 119"
The other guy is suggesting
Infocus IN72
92" Draper Cineperm
Which projector is going to make me happier?
Which screen is the right size for the room?
This will probably make the decision on which guy I go with.
There are a number of considerations. Which wall will the screen be on, the 10ft wall or the 19ft? Will the room be totally blacked out for viewing? Tv and DVD viewing? How much are you into HT and video, casual or much more?

Screen size has an impact on on screen brightness. But, don't compare it to a direct view TV. You want enough light but not too much. While 50% of the theaters, as a comparison do not meet the theater standard of 16 foot-Lamberts, the ones that don't usually have 12f-L. Use that as a guide to brightness. The makers brightness is useless as they are in a numbers war. What is useful is an after ISF calibration brightness.
Ask the two bidders if that includes an ISF calibration as well. If they will calibrate it, are they ISF certified? That is important.

A large screen is certainly impressive, but, if it is on a 10 ft wall, it may not feel right.

How about the audio part?

A

aabrams

Enthusiast
The audio portion (as requested)

One guy
denon avr-2807
mirage HDT-WM5 (center, right, left)
Mirage HDT-CM7 (4 rear)
Mirage OMD-10 Sub
Audacious 14/2 speaker cable

The other guy
Denon 2807
Infinity speakers (below)
rears cr5110
center crs210 (I may have rear and center switched...not sure)
fronts ershv250
ps12 sub

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I have a 92" screen on the long wall of my 14x22 room, and it feels just right. I watched Saving Private Ryan as my inaugural PJ movie with the seating at 10 feet, and it was somewhat tiring because of the work I had to do to follow the action on the screen. Moving the seating to 12 feet helped quite a bit and is a less tiring viewing experience. IMHO, the 119" screen seems too big for your room, as you would probably have a similar (or worse) experience as I did with high action video material.

A

aabrams

Enthusiast
Gotcha. I agree. Maybe the guy that said 92" was right with the seating at about 12 feet.

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
I just bought a 92" Da-Lite screen with my 1st row of seating at approx 12'. From the research I did, this seemed to be a good match. I'll let you know next week when it's setup.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Using THX standards you really want a screen that is about .66 times the seating distance in width. So, if you are seated at 12 feet, then a screen about 8 feet wide, or 96" (ish) which is about a 110" diagonal. If you like sitting in the middle of a movie theater, this is, more or less, the effect you will get from a screen that size. If you like sitting futher back, go smaller, if you like sitting closer, go bigger.

The projectors should both be able to handle the size, and then the ambient light issue with several large windows in the room are of CRITICAL importance. If you aren't controlling the light 100% then you really need to come down in screen size to compensate some. There are many factors, but really, seating distance, combined with your typical movie theater preference is key.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis