Processor Help - Anthem or Rotel

M

minorc

Enthusiast
You should email Rotel and ask them why they don't have XLR on their pre/pros. Would be interested to find out what they have to say.
I just got a reply, it's a photo of someones middle finger.

I will actually do this though, doubt they'll reply

M

minorc

Enthusiast
Update: From Rotel

" The XLR Connections was exclusive to the now discontinued RSP-1582. It's possible we could see a new version at some point"

:rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Update: From Rotel

" The XLR Connections was exclusive to the now discontinued RSP-1582. It's possible we could see a new version at some point"

:rolleyes:
Well, I mean, now all you have to do is just sit tight and wait it out. :D

M

minorc

Enthusiast
FYI the new rotel uses the newest Texas DSP unlike previous rotel rsp 1576..
So even rotel will be upto date..

As for 8k, rotel has in past offered hdmi hardware upgrades, so we cross fingers maybe they will do this..

Even if they don't, I can always get an hdfury 8k hdmi switch in future that would have 2 hdmi out.. One for sound to send back to rotel and other to display..

Having both anthem and rotel, I don't miss the anthem at all.
The old unit says wolfson dac's as well, is this new iteration supposed to be better ( Texas Inst )

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
Nope..

Those are DACS..

I'm taking about the DSP..The chipset that does surround decoding, dirac etc..

I'm glad the DACS however are still wolf.. I love the sweet sound of them..

Last edited:
D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Yamaha is the exception since they actually put XLR Input and Outputs on their flagship AVR (at least for the Main Front 2 speakers).
I wish more would do this. I would go one step further... do it on the center channel too.

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
I wish more would do this. I would go one step further... do it on the center channel too.
I know the yamaha cxa5200 has all channels with XLR.

I had this pre amp also, was really nice...
It's a close 2nd to rotel in my system.. Better in some ways and rotel in others..
Then anthem 3rd..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know the yamaha cxa5200 has all channels with XLR.

I had this pre amp also, was really nice...
It's a close 2nd to rotel in my system.. Better in some ways and rotel in others..
Then anthem 3rd..
I wasn't going to ask. But since it is SOOOOO Slow here, I'll ask anyway. :D

So when you say, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, are you talking about SOUND QUALITY? or just your choice of preference in terms of everything - Reliability, HDMI Compatibility, Network compatibility, WiFi Remote App, Music Streaming, Automatic Room EQ, etc.?

I think many audiophiles who are into SEPARATES (not AVR) would rank Rotel pre-pro DEAD LAST since it doesn't even have XLR Balanced connectors. When an "AVR" and "Cheap Pre-pro" can manage to have XLR Balanced Connectors, there is absolutely no excuse for Rotel not to have XLR, especially when MOST amps have XLR. No excuse. So it's LAST. :D

Now if you're talking about sound quality, there is no point arguing that since everyone has a different opinion - so it's purely your word against their word. :D

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
I wasn't going to ask. But since it is SOOOOO Slow here, I'll ask anyway. :D

So when you say, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, are you talking about SOUND QUALITY? or just your choice of preference in terms of everything - Reliability, HDMI Compatibility, Network compatibility, WiFi Remote App, Music Streaming, Automatic Room EQ, etc.?

I think many audiophiles who are into SEPARATES (not AVR) would rank Rotel pre-pro DEAD LAST since it doesn't even have XLR Balanced connectors. When an "AVR" and "Cheap Pre-pro" can manage to have XLR Balanced Connectors, there is absolutely no excuse for Rotel not to have XLR, especially when MOST amps have XLR. No excuse. So it's LAST. :D

Now if you're talking about sound quality, there is no point arguing that since everyone has a different opinion - so it's purely your word against their word. :D
True about the XLR lack of..

In my system /room, the rotel had the sweetest sound , and dymanics/steering..

But.....

Lacked room eq, so I had to use REW and PEQ the rotel.

So my ranking was mainly sound quality... Again in my system, but this hobby for sure is fun to play with gear, and experiment.. (and expensive )

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True about the XLR lack of..

In my system /room, the rotel had the sweetest sound , and dymanics/steering..

But.....

Lacked room eq, so I had to use REW and PEQ the rotel.

So my ranking was mainly sound quality... Again in my system, but this hobby for sure is fun to play with gear, and experiment.. (and expensive )
I don’t believe in automatic room EQ since none of them sounded any better to me than Direct mode. So this area is huge on YMMV. It’s important to some and a total waste of money to others.

I only use manual PEQ for below 100Hz. I think most people who use auto EQ usually go back to tweak it anyway since they don’t like flat bass.

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
I don’t believe in automatic room EQ since none of them sounded any better to me than Direct mode. So this area is huge on YMMV. It’s important to some and a total waste of money to others.

I only use manual PEQ for below 100Hz. I think most people who use auto EQ usually go back to tweak it anyway since they don’t like flat bass.
Very true. Tweaking never stops... lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's just a shame that I can't utilize the connections from the 1585 Rotel Power Amp to the brand new Processor.
I'm leaning more toward the Anthem, seems like they're focus is really on HT but I have to admit, part of me really wants to mate it with the Rotel for continuity.

From what I understand, Anthem is releasing a new pre/pro in the new year... since the AVM60's been out for 5 years I wonder if it's a bad move to invest in old tech as well
I somewhat understand the having the connection so why not use it thing. But does it improve your actual experience? Does it make a real difference? I've got some gear with XLR but if it has rca I'll use that instead as the majority of what I have uses such. Be nice if the standard was one connector type....but.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
There is more to LIFE than just NEED, especially if it doesn't really cost anymore. That's why we have options.

If your MOM or children want something that doesn't really cost any more, are you going to REFUSE them and justify that they don't really NEED it? :D
Most of this stuff is all Want over Need. Question. Do I Need an external amp with my AVR? Answer No you have enough power. Response. Screw That I Want one anyway

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
and sub xlr outputs. Add center and two sub xlr’s to my rtx-a3080 and it would be perfect in my opinion. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
and sub xlr outputs. Add center and two sub xlr’s to my rtx-a3080 and it would be perfect in my opinion. :)
Now you're just being greedy! :D

Your RX-A3080 has both L/R XLR Inputs and XLR Outputs, while no other AVRs have any XLR and this flagship pre-pro from Rotel doesn't even have XLR, but you want more XLR on your AVR? :D

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Now you're just being greedy! :D

Your RX-A3080 has both L/R XLR Inputs and XLR Outputs, while no other AVRs have any XLR and this flagship pre-pro from Rotel doesn't even have XLR, but you want more XLR on your AVR? :D

Yup! LOL Sure do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis