Pro Recorder Balanced to RCA Interface Issue

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Maybe someone can help me. Yesterday I connected the balanced analog output from my Professional DAT Recorder to the RCA line input of my computer's audio interface, which converts analog to usb digital. The driver for the ADC interface showed it was getting a signal. However that signal was delivered at a very, very high level, way over 0db; and, in fact, the recording I produced was over driven, producing a filled-in ruler like graphic. I then reduced the output gain from the DAT Recorder to -48db, as well as the recording level; but, I still had overload to the computer's recorder. What up with this?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Maybe someone can help me. Yesterday I connected the balanced analog output from my Professional DAT Recorder to the RCA line input of my computer's audio interface, which converts analog to usb digital. The driver for the ADC interface showed it was getting a signal. However that signal was delivered at a very, very high level, way over 0db; and, in fact, the recording I produced was over driven, producing a filled-in ruler like graphic. I then reduced the output gain from the DAT Recorder to -48db, as well as the recording level; but, I still had overload to the computer's recorder. What up with this?
This is a common problem. Your DAT will output 2.5 volts. I have no idea what the input sensitivity of your ADC interface is, but it could be as low as 10 mv full modulation.

Shure likely have you covered. You will need two of these. Or you can make an attenuator for balanced line your self.

Be careful and get this right or you will blow up your ADC if you have not already.

Can you link the specs of your ADC? Then we can make sure you get it right.

The ideal solution when working with pro equipment and computers, is to use a pro external ADC, or even better if your DAT has xlr digital AES/EBU out. Then you can stay digital, and do a bit rate conversion if you want to.

By the way, what did it sound like, just hash or what? Make sure you did not send a digital output to your ADC. Most pro DATs can send balanced analog or digital AES/EBU from the xlr outs. My Panasonic DAT can send either from the XLR out. So check your settings carefully.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can send AES/EBU Digital out and I can also send IEC 958 out. Interestingly, since my interface accepts optical S/PDIF, I first output IEC 958 from DAT Recorder to an M-AUDIO IEC 958 to optical S/PDIF converter then sent the opt S/PDIF to the interface ( Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD). That BTW has worked for me for years. Thing is, this time with that connection the driver indicated it was not getting a signal. I presumed that perhaps this was because the material on the DAT might have been copy protected? This is why I then went the analog route. Thanks for the suggestion on the Shure Att. I am going to see if I can borrow a pair.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis