Pro amp recommendation, please.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey all, it's been a while. I'm back because my Crown XTi 2000 died out of nowhere, no lights, no nothing. I pulled the ceramic fuse, and if I'm using my meter correctly, there is still continuity. I was told that when ceramic fuses blow, they look blown and darkened, and mine is still pretty white. I contacted and am waiting on Crown for troubleshooting advice, recommended repair shops near me, and hourly rate information. I'm afraid however that the diagnosis and repair can add up quickly enough where it would be more prudent to just buy a new amp.

So I'd very much like to hear your 2 ch pro amp recommendations. I'm looking to spend considerably less than I did last time. I'm disappointed that the bought as new Crown died before my refurbished Onkyo 805 preamp, and refurbished NAD 7ch amp, as these units are considerably older as well. I usually baby my equipment by having each amp turned on in succession with long enough intervals for the caps to charge before firing up the next unit. However, I believe the amp was in the on position when I found it dead. It is not on a UPS; the voltage at my residence is extremely stable, however perhaps when the AC kicked on, it provided some sort of brownout that could kill an amp? I'm not versed in electricity/electronics.

I liked that the old Crown had the BandManager to EQ the sub. I'm not crossing my fingers that your recommendations would have anything at all like that, but it would be a really nice bonus.

My biggest complaint about the Crown was the blindingly bright lights, without any option for adjustment. As it's on the rear wall facing forward into the mostly bat cave of a front projection setup, I had to liberally use black electrical tape. Window tint didn't have a chance, even other colors of electrical tape had no chance.

I never heard the fans ever once kick on.

Because my sub is highly efficient, and that I listen well under reference levels, I don't believe I need much power, and believe I can even downgrade in this regard.

I briefly browsed a bit of Yamaha, Crown, and QSC offerings. The Yamahas are more than I want to spend. The Crown XLS 1000 is certainly less than I spent last time, but to be honest I would prefer to even spend less than this. The QSC GX3 is similarly priced, and I like that it doesn't look like the panel has lights with the power of ten million lumens, which is a good thing.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Because of the early death of the amp, I'm even a little bit more wary of buying used than I already was, but perhaps that shouldn't be a great concern; feel free to assuage.

P.S. I just now see the long XLS thread as I'm about to post here. It was started over two years ago, and I'm not inclined at the moment to read through all of it, so forgive my ignorance regarding this particular line.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've tried Crown XLS, Peavey IPR2, Crest Pro Lite, QSC, and a few others. If you don't want lights, and this is going to be for sub use only, I'd go with the Crest Pro Lite. Not many lights, not terrible fan noise (albeit not as quiet as the Crown XLS), and tons of power and reserve. I actually opened mine up and unplugged the fans. I plan on eventually replacing them with super quiet ones, but it doesn't really get warm anyhow without any fans.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I don't want the lights, that's correct, but I should clarify my priorities:

1. less expensive, please
2. reliability (dead after only 4 years?)
3. ability to EQ
3. quiet, relatively speaking (not louder than my PJ at least, which is closer in proximity to viewers)
4. lack of bright lights; not a deal killer because I know I'm willing to slap on ugly electrical tape if need be; I'm not going to spend considerably more just for this.

Like I mentioned, I really don't think I need tons of power; I'm putting a huge preference for reliability and even EQ potential over power at this point in time. Thanks again.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
my brother was using an xls1000 for a pair of subs and she only lasted 8 months with occasional use, I have a dead behringer in my basement and one of my xls2500s dies, granted it was playing outside on a hot humid day during a party for 4-5 hours, but it was still only a few months old, that was replaced for free by amazon.... I;m not sure if its class d fate or what, but I had a class d sub plate amp kick out and there is always a thread with bad sub amps popping up here and there. I have had good luck with class ab and the little tripaths class t units--------so far anyway...

Anyhow- How about one of the 500w hsu amps on clearance The Hsu Clearance Center give them a call they will know if it will work for you.. seems like a good price, $500 off..
them hsu amps were nice, you could buy these little pills to put in for different high pass xovers for your line outs and for your low pass you just flip little dip switches or turn it off and use sub out of course, plus I remember them being pretty stout and well built..

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Reliable, Cheap, Lots of Features. Choose any two :)
I am surprised your XTi gave up - I think Crown should be able to help you, hopefully for free.
Are you really need 2k W into 4ohm ?

If you want cheap and features Behringer iNuke DSP should be your amp, but for reliable I would look towards Crown, QSC amps.
If you're not rush, hunt for good deals. 3Camels for amazon alerts, CL, ebay etc...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
my brother was using an xls1000 for a pair of subs and she only lasted 8 months with occasional use, I have a dead behringer in my basement and one of my xls2500s dies, granted it was playing outside on a hot humid day during a party for 4-5 hours, but it was still only a few months old, that was replaced for free by amazon.... I;m not sure if its class d fate or what, but I had a class d sub plate amp kick out and there is always a thread with bad sub amps popping up here and there. I have had good luck with class ab and the little tripaths class t units--------so far anyway...

Anyhow- How about one of the 500w hsu amps on clearance The Hsu Clearance Center give them a call they will know if it will work for you.. seems like a good price, $500 off..
them hsu amps were nice, you could buy these little pills to put in for different high pass xovers for your line outs and for your low pass you just flip little dip switches or turn it off and use sub out of course, plus I remember them being pretty stout and well built..
The HSU amplifier is a very interesting sugggestion, it's the first time I've ever seen that. I had the Speakon connector learning curve when I installed the Crown, and here I would be reverting back to regular connections once again. I looked at the manual to see what the EQ was capable of, it's very rudimentary, but I suppose something is still better than nothing.

I believe my Crown is class AB, and I see that the HSU is H.

Reliable, Cheap, Lots of Features. Choose any two :)
I am surprised your XTi gave up - I think Crown should be able to help you, hopefully for free.
Are you really need 2k W into 4ohm ?

If you want cheap and features Behringer iNuke DSP should be your amp, but for reliable I would look towards Crown, QSC amps.
If you're not rush, hunt for good deals. 3Camels for amazon alerts, CL, ebay etc...
You're probably right about "choose any two", however the Crown wasn't exactly cheap (though I believe I got a very good deal, last one in fact), and seeing how it died first out of all of my components, I guess I've lost a little bit of faith in that paying more will result in a longer lasting product. I know it's about the averages, over the long run, maybe my case is the outlier. Nevertheless, thanks for the friendly reminder.

I don't need much power, I believe, or at least I could go with a lot less than what I've had and still be fine.

I'm going to soon check out your suggested avenues, thanks.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I think Crown should be able to help you, hopefully for free...

If you want cheap and features Behringer iNuke DSP should be your amp...
I saw something somewhere about Crown reducing what I think I remember being a 6 year warranty down to a 3 year warranty. Could I be so lucky that I purchased when the older policy was in effect? The Crown CS form had me enter serial # and purchase date IIRC, so let's see.

But you're not kidding about the Behringer's price to features ratio. They don't have the same rep as the other companies as you mentioned, but yet I do see that they offer a 3 year warranty just like Crown does. You just might have spent my money. Thanks again.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The HSU amplifier is a very interesting sugggestion, it's the first time I've ever seen that. I had the Speakon connector learning curve when I installed the Crown, and here I would be reverting back to regular connections once again. I looked at the manual to see what the EQ was capable of, it's very rudimentary, but I suppose something is still better than nothing.

I believe my Crown is class AB, and I see that the HSU is H.

I think the crown xti is ab+b, I-bca, or maybe D, probably ab+b, sine it weighs around 15lbs, I think an a/b with that type of output would weigh in around 200lbs, lol..

The HSU's crossover is very basic, but it will work, you can always buy a mini dsp for $100 and never worry about crossovers again..

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have no pertinent suggestions to this thread but I wanted to pop in and say hi and welcome back to josten. You've been missed.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I know it's the third time I'm quoting this. I got an email earlier this morning that I'm being covered under warranty as an exception.

I have no pertinent suggestions to this thread but I wanted to pop in and say hi and welcome back to josten. You've been missed.
Thanks adk.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know it's twice your budget :D, but if you want a high quality amp, I would get the ATI AT1202 for about $600. :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Me, too - welcome back, man!
Thanks Adam, and sorry for failing to reply to your kind sentiment. I think I must have got sidetracked by the extracurricular drama. I will admit that drama has long been my favorite genre in movies. :D

I know it's twice your budget :D, but if you want a high quality amp, I would get the ATI AT1202 for about $600. :D
More like a million times my budget, as I'm stopping by UPS today with the prepaid label that Crown has just sent to me. I requested that they leave the presets alone, as that took me a lot of time to tinker with.

Not only am I pleased with the gesture Crown has given me, the process has been very quick and professional, with detailed instructions, very detailed warnings about boxing instructions and possible penalties, very clear and upfront about the flexibility in leaving alone FW and/or presets, with extremely prompt replies to my concerns, all of this within 24 hours, then there's the prepaid label, etc. Bravo!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I just think it's ridiculous to make a big deal about leaving an online forum. But it's even more ridiculous to come back after you said you were done.
If you think its ridiculous then PM and tell me, Ill give you my phone number and address and maybe you can personally tell me how you feel, I think you not personally telling me you have an issue with my actions is ridiculous... I have been posting for a while now, all harmless posts, and I have gotten 10-15 pms with things like "glad to see you back, " Welcome back" ect, but you find it necessary to be a douche, good for you...

I apologise to the OP for the intrusion, there are some people on this forum with no class, I admit to being one of them...;)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
If you think its ridiculous then PM and tell me, Ill give you my phone number and address and maybe you can personally tell me how you feel, I think you not personally telling me you have an issue with my actions is ridiculous... I have been posting for a while now, all harmless posts, and I have gotten 10-15 pms with things like "glad to see you back, " Welcome back" ect, but you find it necessary to be a douche, good for you...

I apologise to the OP for the intrusion, there are some people on this forum with no class, I admit to being one of them...;)
You're entertaining if nothing else internet tough guy. Sorry but CT isn't anywhere near my side of the country but if your travels take you to California let me know and we can certainly meet up to have a chat. You felt the need to proclaim to everyone that you were never coming back to the site as if you were expecting us to beg you to stay. That just doesn't make sense to me. If you don't like the site just leave. You don't need to make a big production out of it. It just makes you look that much more foolish when you proclaim that you're leaving and then you come back. I didn't notice that you were back until today otherwise I would have said something sooner. Sorry but I'm not on the site every day.

I used to think you were an OK guy but you obviously have a pretty thin skin if you get this upset over someone calling you out on your crap. Glad to see you're keeping up with the same behavior that turned people against you and made you leave the site the first time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis