Private K6-K12 or Public and invest the tuition into a 40 year trust for child?

jinjuku

jinjuku

The crux is: What is the better return for my child? $14K/year for private K6-K12, or be the involved parents we are and public school and we simply invest in a market fund trust that releases for child in 40 years?

$1 at the average 10.9% market rate is $88 in 40 years. I don't see a private elementary and high school education providing that delta of difference. I hope that we are good parents regardless and involve ourselves with our child making even a public education beneficial.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't have kids, but I have to think that, as a parent, some level of interest might cause mom or dad to realize that their kid can't read, do simple math or think for themselves. While the curriculum may pass the parent(s) level of education (let's face it- not everyone does well in Math, Science and some other areas), they need to ask more than "Did you finish your homework?".

That said, I saw part of a video about a kid who's a Senior in High School,in the middle of their class, with a .132 GPA. How can that happen? Does the school not make this known to the parents?

Many people who know a payout is coming don't try to do well, some do- depends on the person.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't have kids, but I have to think that, as a parent, some level of interest might cause mom or dad to realize that their kid can't read, do simple math or think for themselves. While the curriculum may pass the parent(s) level of education (let's face it- not everyone does well in Math, Science and some other areas), they need to ask more than "Did you finish your homework?".

That said, I saw part of a video about a kid who's a Senior in High School,in the middle of their class, with a .132 GPA. How can that happen? Does the school not make this known to the parents?

Many people who know a payout is coming don't try to do well, some do- depends on the person.
It's not something we are going to discuss with our child. It's no more their business than any other parental finance.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The crux is: What is the better return for my child? $14K/year for private K6-K12, or be the involved parents we are and public school and we simply invest in a market fund trust that releases for child in 40 years?

$1 at the average 10.9% market rate is $88 in 40 years. I don't see a private elementary and high school education providing that delta of difference. I hope that we are good parents regardless and involve ourselves with our child making even a public education beneficial.
Private school all day long so long as you can find a good one. Speaking from experience I would recommend a Waldorf school if there is one nearby, they will teach your child how to think as wet as nurture their soul.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

What is the quality of the public school district you live in? If it isn't all that great, would you consider moving to a home in one that's better? Selling and buying a different home might be a better value for everyone than a private school. BTW, $14K is a bargain compared to some places I've lived, where $20-24K/yr is more typical. Especially the Bay Area and Portland, OR.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
For me it's much more what you make of the situation. If your the type of parents who are hands on outside the classroom, I'd think that is plenty in bringing up and educated kid who will want to seek further education.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think saving for and paying for a child's future college education is much more important than paying for years 6-12 private school. Of course, this depends on how good your local public school system is.

When my kids were still toddlers, my parents and my wife's parents wanted to create investment funds that were designed to pay off during the time frame when college tuition bills start coming in. A trust that matures after 40 years comes too late for college bills. At the time, those funds were called Zero Coupon Bonds. The type of investment vehicle is probably different now, but the idea is still the same. Between those bonds, and my own efforts, both my kids were able to attend college. They both graduated with no student loan debt. In my opinion, that is far more valuable than sending a kid to private school before college.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agreed with Irv - if the public school in your area aren't above at least a score of 6 on Zillow, moving into better school area is far better money investment as real estate in these areas tend to appreciate faster and higher.
I also agree with Swerd - it's the college education is far more important than private schools.

Lastly, my own opinion is to maximize your own retirement savings first, if money left just buy index funds on vanguard/fidelity. By the time we retire (social security money well is likely to dry out)
You obviously know tech well, so investing in tech companies that you know well and trust, may not be a terrible idea either.

Lastly don't tie your money into 20/40 years' trusts - you never know when you're going to need it.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

If you decide to send your kid to private school, I hope you don't encounter this insanity:

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you decide to send your kid to private school, I hope you don't encounter this insanity:
WOW. That's off the hook. Getting to the heart of the matter is the Elementary and H.S. around Louisville are very well rated (for what ever that is worth). Middle schools not so much. I don't understand how that is since HS can only be rated well if the students going into them are coming from well performing middle schools and are properly prepared.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
WOW. That's off the hook. Getting to the heart of the matter is the Elementary and H.S. around Louisville are very well rated (for what ever that is worth). Middle schools not so much. I don't understand how that is since HS can only be rated well if the students going into them are coming from well performing middle schools and are properly prepared.
From my personal experience with four children, the most important attribute is not whether the schools are public or private, it is whether or not the teachers and especially the other students provide an atmosphere where academic achievement is considered important. They've got to be around other students that think doing well in school is a priority. Admittedly, there is a higher probability that atmosphere will exist in a private school, but we found it adequate in the two public school systems our children went to. And, of course, parents are a big part of making sure students understand the correct priorities. No school can replace a pro-academic environment at home.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… Getting to the heart of the matter is the Elementary and H.S. around Louisville are very well rated (for what ever that is worth). Middle schools not so much. I don't understand how that is since HS can only be rated well if the students going into them are coming from well performing middle schools and are properly prepared.
Let me guess, you don't yet have kids in middle school. From my own experience a long time ago, and from what I saw as a parent with two kids, middle school is a true low-point in human existence. The poor ratings of middle schools in your area, may very well be influenced by the nature of middle school-aged kids, and not the schools themselves.

I have both great admiration and deep sympathy for grown adults who choose to teach in middle schools.

As Irvrobinson pointed out, the trick is to get your kids to be around other students that think doing well in school is a priority. Easier said than done. The parents' job with high school kids, is to get them through high school without getting arrested, pregnant (or both) as well as learning to read & comprehend, write a decent, coherent paragraph, and learn some math as well. I knew kids from both public and private high schools who couldn't do that when they went on to college. They had a rough time. Oh, and to also learn that their real goal is to graduate high school and go to college just so they can get out of their parent's house.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Let me guess, you don't yet have kids in middle school. From my own experience a long time ago, and from what I saw as a parent with two kids, middle school is a true low-point in human existence. The poor ratings of middle schools in your area, may very well be influenced by the nature of middle school-aged kids, and not the schools themselves.

I have both great admiration and deep sympathy for grown adults who choose to teach in middle schools.

As Irvrobinson pointed out, the trick is to get your kids to be around other students that think doing well in school is a priority. Easier said than done. The parents' job with high school kids, is to get them through high school without getting arrested, pregnant (or both) as well as learning to read & comprehend, write a decent, coherent paragraph, and learn some math as well. I knew kids from both public and private high schools who couldn't do that when they went on to college. They had a rough time. Oh, and to also learn that their real goal is to graduate high school and go to college just so they can get out of their parent's house.
I have friends who taught middle school. They would confirm that kids are at their absolute worst in those grades - both in behavior and body odor.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Same issue here, but in reverse. High School sucks, middle school and elementary are both great. How?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have friends who taught middle school. They would confirm that kids are at their absolute worst in those grades - both in behavior and body odor.
I've said that it's literally the dumbest you'll be in life. Middle schoolers are the worst. They're both children and adults in a lot of ways, but can't seem to pick which one to be all the time and you never know which one you're going to get.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
As someone who has had kids in both, I can share my perspective having taken this journey. Here in MA, we have some of the best private schools like BBN, Dexter, Groton, Philips, etc. Their cost is prohibitive coming in between $35K to $50K per year per child (this was a few years ago so may be more now). In all honesty, the campuses were nice, teachers pleasant, but I was not impressed in general. They do retain one major advantage as the top private schools serve as feeders for top colleges and universities. In short, if you go private, go big.

I feel moving to a town or city with excellent public schools represents a better value. The real estate will cost more, but nowhere near the several thousands of dollars per month a top private school will cost. The real estate will also appreciate with time. Another option is to look into whether a good charter school serving your area exists. If your child is in a higher grade or the charter school already saturated with children from your city/town, this may not be an option.

You get more by going with an excellent public or charter school as suggested above and taking the remaining funds to not only invest in a trust as you suggest, but to enroll them in extra curriculum activities such as math, chess, music, and literature classes. For example, The Russian School of Math has locations across the country and provide an excellent math education for about $2K per year per child. This math curriculum will far exceed anything your child will learn in any school, public or private. It is classical, but this style math was good enough to put people into space several decades ago.

In the end, what matters most are starting early and the parents. Although a top private school increases the odds of getting into a Ivy League school, it isn't a magic bullet. Any parent who puts in the sweat and blood proving resilient and persistent in ensuring their children keep learning in select areas will do the trick. That said, one must also be careful not to burn their kids out by being selective of any extra activities and remember to sometimes let kids be kids.

In any case, that's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

The Russian School of Math has locations across the country and provide an excellent math education for about $2K per year per child.
This was another point of view we've talked about where you take that same $$ and spend it in a focused manner. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis