Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Taking that pic I was totally thinking of you. Interesting coincidence.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Looks good.
I forgot to ask the other day; is that oak frame 5/4?
Looks pretty stout.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's just 3/4". Probably by 3-1/2 before I ripped it to 2" for the side rails.

Turns out the sub works. I had forgotten to connect the wire when I 'inspected' it. :rolleyes:

I gotta go back to work Monday.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This be the armoire I jammed rack rails into.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Since it rained all day yesterday I wasn't able to install new spark plugs in the truck. That left me with the time I needed to make my corrections on the Infinities. I skipped the pic's too.

I popped the back off and drilled some holes in the braces I added across the back to regain some lost Vb to hopefully boost the lower frequencies. I used some of the stock acoustic fluff on the top and bottom front along with some other 'found' fluffy white stuff on the floor to hopefully attenuate the higher frequencies. It worked pretty well.

The speaker is still a little bright with let's say 'forward' vocals. I'm pretty sure that had I been interested I could have slid the extension out another inch or so to get a little more Vb to boost the bottom end but I wasn't so inclined. Since I'm using two of the source's outputs to go to the rec'r I can go back and forth from EQ'ed to non-Eq'ed easily by switching from DVD to CD on the rec'r. On this final iteration I had to re-adjust the EQ to remove none of the top end and I bumped the two bottom (60 Hz and 240 Hz) bands up a smidge.

It sounds really good. The EQ helped me make small corrections to the voicing which is key since I don't have what it takes to make those adjustments in the xo. The added bracing and Peel&Seal reduced cabinet resonance. The rigid insulation reduced internal standing waves. The result is that the speaker can be mercilessly cranked before it starts getting frazzled and even then I'm not sure if it's the speaker or just the amp being over driven.

My bright ideas for laminating the back and trimming out the extension got shot down by a lack of interest on Eddie's part. He doesn't care to invest his time to contribute to the esthetic because it's for his garage and the view from the block wall is of no concern ... so ... all done! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis