j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is on Hulu. Gotta be honest, direct to streaming concerned me. I was pleasantly surprised though, this film is good; better than almost all of the rest of the offshoots/reboots. It somewhat mirrors the original's plot points, and while it lacks some of the colorful characters of the original, it isn't any less fun. It seems to be the highest streamed premier on Hulu ever as well.

It is an interesting combination of a girl trying to break out of her traditional societal role with an action flick, and it more or less works on both levels. The cinematography is pretty impressive, however the digital effects are not quite up to the same level. They aren't bad and don't necessarily detract from the film, but it seems like there were budget or time limitations there and it deserved to be better for a film this fun. The audio was good, though it was streamed so I don't want to comment too much on it, but no complaints about the audio at all. The story isn't super deep and is a bit predictable, not unexpected with a Predator film, but it feels well written and well paced. The main character actress, Amber Midthunder. was excellent in the role and I can't wait to see what she does next. Of significant note, it is the first film ever to feature an all Native American primary cast.

Again, I was surprised at how good it was; great popcorn flick. If you have Hulu, give it a watch. If you don't have Hulu, sign up and watch it :)

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
It's disappointing a film this great and well received was dishonored by a direct to home video treatment. I'm sure it would have done better than NOPE at the boxoffice but we'll never know. I just hope they don't use that template and milk it like Predator goes to Feudal Japan or Predator vs T-Rex. But now that I say it, I totally want those now. :oops:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, the FIRST thing I though after watching it was: now it will be like Assassin's Creed - every feudal war period will get a Predator film lol.

Now, there are two HUGE Easter eggs in this one, one obvious and the other not so much, both pointing to follow up film or films.

Predator in Jurassic Park. Predator vs. Michael Myers ("Halloween Ends" is coming out this year....). Predator vs. Vecna LMAO. Don't give them any ideas.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I think the end credits scene you're referring to is more the rest of the story as told in a cave painting. Not so much a heads up about a potential sequel.

Sadly, the concept of a Alien vs Predator is still a perfect one but studios can't seem to figure out how to do it properly without it taking place in our backyard and injecting stupid people into it. A lot can be done with little or no dialog if the audience is treated with respect.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think the end credits scene you're referring to is more the rest of the story as told in a cave painting. Not so much a heads up about a potential sequel.

Sadly, the concept of a Alien vs Predator is still a perfect one but studios can't seem to figure out how to do it properly without it taking place in our backyard and injecting stupid people into it. A lot can be done with little or no dialog if the audience is treated with respect.
Do we know if Prey will ever be released on a 4k disc. A 4k image and atmos soundtrack on a physical disc would be awesome

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Do we know if Prey will ever be released on a 4k disc. A 4k image and atmos soundtrack on a physical disc would be awesome
If other HULU exclusives have been released then perhaps. I don't care to look. I have a feeling a film this well received will see a physical release someday. Digital Exclusives like the Snyder Cut and Godzilla vs Kong did- so what not a Predator flick. Probably get some sort of Steelbook announcement in a few months.

I was extremely impressed with the compressed digital stream. Day shots were as clear as any UHD title and night shots had just enough info to keep them from breaking up. I assume it was shot digitally and that's why it held up so well. Film grain kills the encoding/decoding process.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watch the end of that sequence closely :) It shows the whole story and then a bit that is after the events of the film.

I am hoping so, that is why I didn't want to comment on the audio. I'd rather have this one on disc with an Atmos track. I was getting Atmos indicated, but I can't say it was that active.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Watch the end of that sequence closely :) It shows the whole story and then a bit that is after the events of the film.

I am hoping so, that is why I didn't want to comment on the audio. I'd rather have this one on disc with an Atmos track.
I think the Disney stream has Atmos where the HULU does not.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Didn't know it was on Disney too, I will check that out today.
It's available through questionable online sources like usenet and torrents. May not be streaming on Disney+ in your area.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I assume it was shot digitally and that's why it held up so well. Film grain kills the encoding/decoding process.
"Prey 2022" was shot with the 3K Arri Alexa digital camera, so the 4K PQ looks excellent for both day and night scenes.

"Predators 2010" was shot with the 2K Panavision Genesis digital camera, so the 4K PQ also looks excellent. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Had just tuned to Disney+ to check out Lightyear and searched for Prey....got nada on Prey....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, D+ has Atmos but no Prey lol. Disney owns Hulu so that was a possibility, not sure why they decided Hulu would be the place to release it, but it sounds like it was a big draw for Hulu.

I liked Lightyear.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... The main character actress, Amber Midthunder. was excellent in the role and I can't wait to see what she does next. Of significant note, it is the first film ever to feature an all Native American primary cast.

She is in the TV series "Rosewell: New Mexico." She went absent and now is back. Now I know what happened, she filmed this movie.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
She is in the TV series "Rosewell: New Mexico." She went absent and now is back. Now I know what happened, she filmed this movie.
She is/was also in Legion (never watched it, looks like it ended in 2019).

Disney had a good week I think. Prey is the highest streamed content on Hulu in every region world wide and D+ surpassed Netflix for number of subscribers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
She is/was also in Legion (never watched it, looks like it ended in 2019).

Disney had a good week I think. Prey is the highest streamed content on Hulu in every region world wide and D+ surpassed Netflix for number of subscribers.
Makes me curious as to the reach of Amazon Prime, pretty sure they're in the 200 Million plus club, too....

Does Disney's numbers include Hulu in combination with the other services?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Makes me curious as to the reach of Amazon Prime, pretty sure they're in the 200 Million plus club, too....

Does Disney's numbers include Hulu in combination with the other services?
I am sure Amazon Prime does have more, but it is the first time Disney has. Netflix' grip is slipping.

Not sure if Disney includes Hulu or not, I would think not since they were acquired.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am sure Amazon Prime does have more, but it is the first time Disney has. Netflix' grip is slipping.

Not sure if Disney includes Hulu or not, I would think not since they were acquired.
Netflix is still competitive, tho. The others are just more catching up....and can they sustain it? I'm about to cancel Disney for lack of content. The audio on that Lightyear flick I sampled earlier was just sad. The content is just few and far between for me otherwise.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Netflix is still competitive, tho. The others are just more catching up....and can they sustain it? I'm about to cancel Disney for lack of content. The audio on that Lightyear flick I sampled earlier was just sad. The content is just few and far between for me otherwise.
I very rarely use D+. I got it and Hulu free with my phone plan. I got AppleTV free for 2 years too because I bought her an iWatch and iPad , already cancelled that now that the free expired lol. I watched only a very few things on there when they weren't' available anywhere else. Not enough content for me to pay for it. That is pretty much true of most of the services - there are only a few things that I actually want to watch on them mostly. Prime I keep for the shipping and music unlimited. Netflix has enough stuff for me to keep for now too. If the others weren't free, I wouldn't have them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Disney always seems to have terrible audio. Every 4k disc I'd buy from them was just horrible.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis