S

Stegman

Enthusiast
I am currently using a Yamaha AVS-100U as a preamplifier. Will I notice a significant upgrade to sound quality changing to a Nakamichi CA-5A II preamplifier?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you get upgraded audio particularly? Why such old units?

S

Stegman

Enthusiast
I like the vintage units. I do not need all the video connections. I am a two channel
Listener.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am currently using a Yamaha AVS-100U as a preamplifier. Will I notice a significant upgrade to sound quality changing to a Nakamichi CA-5A II preamplifier?
It is hard to know, as you did not state the rest of your system, especially what front end units you have.

The Yamaha is very utilitarian. The Nak is a very high end unit, that claims to use components with 1% tolerance. The phono stage is much more versatile on the Nak. If you have a turntable, or plan on getting one, then upgrading to the NAk is probably worth it just on that consideration alone.

Certainly the Nak is a much higher quality unit. Whether you will hear a difference very much depends on the rest of your system, especially the speakers.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your feedback.
Be helpful if you expanded on your system. Is there a particular reason you think one vs the other is an advantage for your use (especially vs amps or speakers)

S

Stegman

Enthusiast
I am running a set of Cerwin Vega 380SE speakers that are powered by a QSC RMX 2450A amp. I also have a Sansui FR-5080S turntable. I just acquired a set Cerwin Vega Q1 Speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am running a set of Cerwin Vega 380SE speakers that are powered by a QSC RMX 2450A amp. I also have a Sansui FR-5080S turntable.
My main worry would be if you get sufficient pre-out level for the amp....and that the phono stage is adequate.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Seems like someone is creating a ton of side accounts here to ask questions. Interesting. :D :D :D

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am running a set of Cerwin Vega 380SE speakers that are powered by a QSC RMX 2450A amp. I also have a Sansui FR-5080S turntable. I just acquired a set Cerwin Vega Q1 Speakers.
The high spot if your system is that QSC amp. Your turntable is respectable. You don't seem to have any digital sources, not even a CD player.

The weak link in your system are those CV speakers. They are a rough and ready concoction to say the least. Those speakers were designed to make "One Hell of a Row" and quality be damned.

My inclination is to advise you to pick up that NAK preamp, and then work on finding speakers commensurate with the rest of the rig. Unless you plan on a serious speaker upgrade, then there probably is not a lot of point in replacing the preamp.

S

Stegman

Enthusiast
I agree, if I can get the preamp for a good price, I will jump on it. I guess I left out details on how I listen. I play vinyl and stream music through a DAC. I have a good size cd collection, but find myself not playing them as the streaming files are more convenient and are now getting to be close to the same qualit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I agree, if I can get the preamp for a good price, I will jump on it. I guess I left out details on how I listen. I play vinyl and stream music through a DAC. I have a good size cd collection, but find myself not playing them as the streaming files are more convenient and are now getting to be close to the same qualit.
I would definitely make speakers your next priority. Those CWs are just not up to the rest. It is speakers more then anything else that determines the overall quality of your rig. So better speakers would be massive upgrade and something you would really notice.

S

Stegman

Enthusiast
TSL, your setup is over the top. Nice clean installation.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't even find info for the Yamaha preamp but the Nakamichi has very decent specs even by today's standards. If I were in the market for a vintage preamp I would look to McIntosh's, great specs and likely more reliable.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I couldn't even find info for the Yamaha preamp but the Nakamichi has very decent specs even by today's standards. If I were in the market for a vintage preamp I would look to McIntosh's, great specs and likely more reliable.
That NAK preamp comes from a time before NAK were bought out of bankruptcy. There gear was absolutely top of the line then, and the equal of Mac. They were famous for there cassette recorders. I don't think you could say with any certainty which would be the more reliable. His Yamaha is a vintage receiver and he is using the preouts. So he is using it as a preamp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That NAK preamp comes from a time before NAK were bought out of bankruptcy. There gear was absolutely top of the line then, and the equal of Mac. They were famous for there cassette recorders. I don't think you could say with any certainty which would be the more reliable. His Yamaha is a vintage receiver and he is using the preouts. So he is using it as a preamp.
I do know a little about Naks, I just have more faith in the old Mc preamps. As for the Yamaha, the AVX-100 is a receiver, but he mentioned the AVC-100U, that might be a preamp but I couldn't find it by Googling that number. He might have made a typo though.

S

Stegman

Enthusiast
The AVX-100U is an integrated amp. I am using it as a preamp. I did not win the NAK, but I will be picking up a Philips 5721 preamp tomorrow.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I still have a Nakamichi cassette deck stored in the closet along with both of my turntables. That should date me pretty well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis