Preamp section of Yamaha RX-A3060 vs CX-A5100

S

SKA

Audiophyte
Hi,
there are some people asking about help in choosing RX-A3060 and CX-A5100/MX-A5000. According to experts, in this case PrePro/Amp combo is winner.
I already have MX-5000 amplifier. Now I have to buy either CX-A5100 or RX-A3060.

As far as I gathered:
  • RX-3060 has same DAC (for main 7 channels) as CX-5100
  • It has same YPAO correction and DSP
  • Number of DSP modes are 33 in CX-5100 compared to 24 in RX-A3060 (I don't care)
  • 3060 has unbalanced outbut, while CX-5100 balanced output (should I care?)
  • I can use extra amp in 3060 for other zones
I will love if Gene can do full review of RX-A3060 and compare its pre-amp section to CX-5100.

Any help is appreciated.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't use the balanced I/O in my HT system because my interconnects are not very long, less than 10 ft. Some people like that clicking sound and feeling of a secure connection, but not all balanced I/O has that so I am not sure if the CX5100 will give you that nice feeling. The 3060 seems to have better bass EQ, down to 15.6 Hz, the CX-5100 goes down to 31.3 Hz and I am not sure if it can be upgraded to 15.6 Hz via firmware upgrade. The 3060 is probably a better choice if you plan on adding speakers.

S

SKA

Audiophyte
Thanks Peng,
Now CX-5100 also do bass EQ up-to 15.6 (new F/W is released).
However if everything is equal, then 3060 is $500 cheaper and have 9 channel amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Peng,
Now CX-5100 also do bass EQ up-to 15.6 (new F/W is released).
However if everything is equal, then 3060 is $500 cheaper and have 9 channel amps.
I would still go with the 3060, if you are planning on adding more speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You're welcome, just tried to share my experience. After trying 2 prepros and still own 4 preamps, I know there isn't much to gain on SQ using prepros especially if when comparing to top of the line Yamaha, Denon, or even Marantz AVRs. For anyone interested in more than 7.1, such AVRs are still viable even to those who already own a 5 channel power amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also agree that Pre-pros & Preamps don't sound any better than AVRs when comparing the same sound mode (Direct mode vs Direct mode).

Of course, as you mentioned, there are other factors involved. It depends on how much weight you place on those "intangible" factors. :D

For example, some people must have "separates", which is understandable.

Separates/ pre-pros may have better resale value since they are more of a specialty product.

Separates may offer better pride of ownership.

I own both the Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre-pro and Denon AVR-5308CI AVR. They both sound the same. But I still use the AVP-A1HDCI and put the AVR-5308CI is in the box inside my Theater Equipment room.

I also like the "feeling" of using all balanced XLR connectors - both my Denon AVP-A1HD and ATI AT3000 amps are FULLY BALANCED. I don't think there is a difference in sound quality. But I still like to use XLR.

The Yamaha pre-pro and amp are NOT fully balanced. So even less theoretical difference. But same principal.

S

SKA

Audiophyte
I currently have Yamaha RX-A3000 AVR and Polk Audio LSiM speakers. My room is fairly big at about 20x45 feet and 10 feet ceiling. One side is open to another room. In parties, my friends like to play loud and it was not getting enough loud. Now I have attached Yamaha MX-5000 (using RX-A3000 preamp output) and it becomes uncomfortably loud (probably at ~60% of power of MX5000). So I am happy with MX5000. Due to 4K change, I want to upgrade to newer receiver (or prepro). Seems to me that RX3060 is the way to go.

C

Chili

Audiophyte
First post and hope I don't make a fool of myself.

After selling a Parasound Halo A21 I hooked up my Marantz AV7702 processor to an old Yamaha AVR
RX-V2400. Didn't even know I could use an AVR for it's "amps on board" w/ a processor, but once I figured it out I got use to the sound quality without the Parasound.

But like most audio guys I thought I missed the "greatness" of an external amp and I repurchased another Parasound Halo A21 with about 10 hours of use.
After listening to movies and music I have to say I'm rather disappointed.

Have to agree with others that a quality AVR, (or in my case a processor using an old AVR for amplification) can often come close to matching the sound of an expensive separate amplifier.

FWIW I would say that the Halo A21 maybe - maybe offers a 30% improvement and for the $2k spent I am going back to using my AVR's that are laying around for amplifiers.:cool:

Parasound Halo A21, Marantz AV7702, B&W 683, Canton Karat 30, Subs, M&K, B&W, Martin Logan Dynamo 1000, Apple TV Gen 4, ...

S

SKA

Audiophyte
thanks Chili, I went with AVR (Marantz SR7010) as I got really good deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis