Pre/Pro which has bi-amping capabilities

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Personally, there is only ONE reason I would bi-amp: to bi-amp the BIG WOOFERS of a BIG speaker to actively control the volume of the bass.

But I think if the question is 1) bi-amp using an external amp vs. 2) bi-amp using the same AVR, then I think we can all agree that using the external amp is better.

Does bi-amp using the SAME AVR makes sense? I mean most AVRs will go from 120WPC x 2Ch down to 50WPC x 5Ch anyway. :D
If you have a tag mclaren 5 channel amp of a mono block design and it's rated for 100w ch, you'd now get 100w X 2 right? I have a 5X100r amp I'm not using for HT, so figured I might as well use 4 of the 5 amps in the box on some new ATC - SCM11 v2 Bookshelf Speakers I just ordered. Make sense?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you have a tag mclaren 5 channel amp of a mono block design and it's rated for 100w ch, you'd now get 100w X 2 right? I have a 5X100r amp I'm not using for HT, so figured I might as well use 4 of the 5 amps in the box on some new ATC - SCM11 v2 Bookshelf Speakers I just ordered. Make sense?
What are we talking about? Bi-amping some little bookshelf speakers?

My opinion is that bi-amping (passive or active) only makes sense if you want to bi-amp BIG WOOFERS in large towers that may need more power, but also can HANDLE more power.

Otherwise, you may increase risk of blowing your speakers.

Little bookshelf speakers would not be my choice for any kind of bi-amping.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Passive bi-amping only makes so much sense. If you want a more powerful amp better to just use one. If you have the gear and just want to use it....

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Passive bi-amping only makes so much sense. If you want a more powerful amp better to just use one. If you have the gear and just want to use it....
That's the amp I have and figured might as well use 4 channels vs 2 in that amp. Pretty much comes under I have the gear and just wanna use it category yes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis