Pre-pro vs AVR again

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I mean I was only having some fun at ADTG's expense, I didn't mean to imply I wasn't already naked and tattooing the logos/faces................:p

jinjuku

jinjuku

Please Do Tell us of this DAC.... Which product are you speaking of sir...

I had one in my system with my Salk SoundScapes, and though it was a definate improvement of the SQ of my setup - and after pulling it with the other equipment feeding it and replaceing it with the 80.3, -- the Integra provided every bit the same if not better SQ.....

The added complication of integrating said DAC in the end was not worth the trouble, and provided nothing more then what I got with a fantastic PrePro.
Sry warp, he is aping Solid-State's posting style and ranting.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Right on gentlemen -carry on. I still stand behind my statement and to be honest I'd still like to see pictures of his face on your @$$. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, well that's only an email away (a picture of his face that is), other wise all I have to say is.........be careful what you wish for :p :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
man let me get into this to
Please Do Tell us of this DAC.... Which product are you speaking of sir...
and you must be a middle man, what's your connection with this manufacturer RIGHT :D

I'd still like to see pictures of his face on your @$$
what was that movie quote " you can place your wonderful lips upon my posterior and kiss it repeatability" :D

Z

Ziontrain

Audioholic Intern
My guess - they've done the math and the profit margins just aren't there. They can probably sell a receiver with the same features and internal amps for less than the cost of a pre-pro because of economies of scale. The majority of customers don't want separates, so they make a lot of receivers...which drives down the unit cost.
The issue is not cost at all it is psychology. These products are made at relatively low manufacturing cost, often by the same Chinese outsourcer. The game is about branding, not cost. Also, these manufacturers know full well that most equipment these days is well past the threshold of audible difference. Thats in fact why the assembly job is offloaded to china.

So most people who would buy a pre-pro are buying not for audible difference but for status. Offering it at 399 would actually reduce sales volume. These folks want the veeer of "exclusivity". Jack up the price, they self-identify and open their wallets.

There however, is a small percentage who would want a pre-pro to run their existing high end external amps - and know that most receivers can do this job just fine - and are happy to use a "bargain" receiver. That is also why the Av receiver companies cripple their cheaper AV receiver products by removing the preamp outs. They figure of if you paid for expensive amps then they want their cut too. they dont want to give you any discounts, since they know you have money.

But cost-based pricing? Hell nah.Honestly, you'd fail a college or MBA level course in marketing if you were presented with this as a case study and you chose to price your product based on cost rather than the customer's preceived value.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't afford any of today's pre/pros with perhaps one exception. At any rate, I'm happy with my Sony TA-E9000ES which I purchased new about 12 years ago. It still works to provide Dolby 5.1 and DTS. For more up to the minute features I connect my 5.1 analog output from my BD player to Sony TA-P9000ES. I'm glad I bought that component at the time with no need for it as today it is really handy, allowing me to enjoy the latest codex without having to upgrade anything but the BD player.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis