Powering my Dayton Ultimax 18" (Crown XLS 1002 or plate amp)

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on Dayton Ultimax 18" from Parts Express. I'll be upgrading from my SVS PC2000 and SB2000 (to smooth out the curve). I've got A denon x3500h with Audyssey (Which I actually prefer not to use (just use it for distance etc). I also have REW and Unimik as well as a Mini DSP.

The crown amp has crossovers so I feel like between the mini DSP and that crossover I could adequately tune the sub. The XLS 1002 has 900wats 4ohm bridged so seems like it would be enough power or do I need more? Should I use a plate amp instead?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not only for DSP, I like the Crown option because you can use it for other things down the road should you find yourself repurposing. Plus if you wanna go dual down the road you can use a single amp for both if you build them without a plate. Those are my feelings. @lovinthehd uses Crown amps with his subs and seems pretty happy with them.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
I got the 1502 in case I wanted to go dual. I think the 1002 would be good for one, but not for two.
If you get the 1502 you have the option of adding another sub down the road, using the same amp to power both.

Hmmm...These are really good points. The second sub would be a no brainer down the road and much easier to pull that trigger if all had to purchase was another enclosure and the driver. Would no longer be bridged though right and giving only 500watts to each with the 1502? Only $100 more though.....

Augh

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on Dayton Ultimax 18" from Parts Express. I'll be upgrading from my SVS PC2000 and SB2000 (to smooth out the curve). I've got A denon x3500h with Audyssey (Which I actually prefer not to use (just use it for distance etc). I also have REW and Unimik as well as a Mini DSP.

The crown amp has crossovers so I feel like between the mini DSP and that crossover I could adequately tune the sub. The XLS 1002 has 900wats 4ohm bridged so seems like it would be enough power or do I need more? Should I use a plate amp instead?
You buying the sealed flatpacks with the driver or building ported boxes or ?

Not sure how you figure the XLS crossover will help you integrate the subs, the minidsp sure (or even just Audyssey can do a reasonable job, and as you can utilize the app even limit its eq to the bass frequencies/below schroeder). The XLS dsp is really more intended for crossover work, and not with an avr involved.

At first I was putting a bridged 1500 on each of my SI HT18D2 DIY sealed subs, but figured with the levels I needed to play back at (I generally do around -20dB, sometimes up to -10dB) one channel on each amp was just fine long term. You'd only lose what 1.5 dB from the XLS 1502 to the 1002 but I'd generally aim at the 15xx and up just because of the slightly better snr spec. Just a matter of the right tool for the job in the end, tho.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
You buying the sealed flatpacks with the driver or building ported boxes or ?

Not sure how you figure the XLS crossover will help you integrate the subs, the minidsp sure (or even just Audyssey can do a reasonable job, and as you can utilize the app even limit its eq to the bass frequencies/below schroeder). The XLS dsp is really more intended for crossover work, and not with an avr involved.

At first I was putting a bridged 1500 on each of my SI HT18D2 DIY sealed subs, but figured with the levels I needed to play back at (I generally do around -20dB, sometimes up to -10dB) one channel on each amp was just fine long term. You'd only lose what 1.5 dB from the XLS 1502 to the 1002 but I'd generally aim at the 15xx and up just because of the slightly better snr spec. Just a matter of the right tool for the job in the end, tho.
Flat pack with Driver from Parts Express. Strange they don't make a ported offering as I'm sure I could get more output.

Yeah, Guess I didn't think about the fact I won't be needing the DSP at all from the XLS. Is there a cheaper option then?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Flat pack with Driver from Parts Express. Strange they don't make a ported offering as I'm sure I could get more output.

Yeah, Guess I didn't think about the fact I won't be needing the DSP at all from the XLS. Is there a cheaper option then?
XLS is one of their lowest cost options, the ones with proper dsp capabilities tend to cost more. The XLi series is priced a bit below but is a bit different. I'd stick with XLS myself.

Parts-express has always had limited flatpack options, but at a good combo price (altho they do have now some kits with passive radiator designs IIRC). There are more options out there, perhaps check out diysoundgroup.com's flatpacks as they're also from Denovo (same supplier for parts-express). There's a couple guys in LA doing Marty series flatpacks, too.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I just looked it’s GSG i was going to order one but the shipping to Louisiana was to high for me. The price for the flat pack itself seems very reasonable.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
The Marty looks beautiful! After shipping and driver and amp it's past what I can sqeak by with at the moment! No doubt that would give me more SPL than the sealed Parts Express.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
I just looked it’s GSG i was going to order one but the shipping to Louisiana was to high for me. The price for the flat pack itself seems very reasonable.
Yeah I was ready to purchase before the shipping.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I was ready to purchase before the shipping.
Yes unless you're doing several at once or doing a group buy, kinda big expense. I see this on the diysg site https://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pack-cabinets/subwoofer-flat-packs/ported-subwoofer-flat-packs/denovo-audio-kuda-m8-18k-baltic-birch-subwoofer-flat-pack-for-18-subwoofers.html

I build my own enclosures from baltic birch but have kept to sealed for the simplicity....and since I have several it works out.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
Many use Behringers - typically a less expensive option. I drive my two UM18-22s with a 6000dsp. Plenty of power. The stock fans are noisy, though. You can replace the fan at the risk of voiding the warranty. My gear is behind a wall so is not an issue.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
Yes unless you're doing several at once or doing a group buy, kinda big expense. I see this on the diysg site https://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pack-cabinets/subwoofer-flat-packs/ported-subwoofer-flat-packs/denovo-audio-kuda-m8-18k-baltic-birch-subwoofer-flat-pack-for-18-subwoofers.html

I build my own enclosures from baltic birch but have kept to sealed for the simplicity....and since I have several it works out.
That looks great and the price is right but 8 cu ft. !!!! Hot damn!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many use Behringers - typically a less expensive option. I drive my two UM18-22s with a 6000dsp. Plenty of power. The stock fans are noisy, though. You can replace the fan at the risk of voiding the warranty. My gear is behind a wall so is not an issue.
The Behringers with dsp are indeed a good way to go if you can deal with the fans....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis