Powered speakers for the bedroom? Suggestions?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so as you guys know I had issues with the Anthem 60. Got ahold of Anthem and we can't get it to repeat the issues since I moved it to my bedroom.
So I'm not wanting to sell it in case there is a glitch but not wanting to send it in until I know for sure.

In the meantime the Yamaha CX-A5200 is staying in the theater room. I love it.

Got me thinking I need to free up space in my bedroom. I can't keep 5 JBL 590's in there Lol. I have capable subs 2 SVS pro 2000's the room is 13 by 14.

I'd like to just keep the Anthem and use the balanced outputs to run powered speakers I've always wanted to do this anyway. Like @shadyJ I was very depressed when the Outlaw 976 was discontinued.. because this was my original plan.

So keep the Anthem and buy 5 powered speakers for a 5.2 bedroom setup. Sell the JBL gear and the Anthem pva7 amp

I was leaning towards a certain one Shady just reviewed but lets make this fun which powered speakers should I go with? What recommendations do you guys have?

Here's some room pics also dimensions 13x14x9

20200621_181802.jpg
20200621_181810.jpg
20200621_181840.jpg
20200621_181850.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow some bedroom setup, but at least it's large enough. Since no budget mentioned, check out Genelec and Neumann? :)

How noisy is the projector in there without the speakers going?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow some bedroom setup, but at least it's large enough. Since no budget mentioned, check out Genelec and Neumann? :)

Some noise but not much it's a super bright projector so running it in eco mode it's not bad. I can hear it but it's not obtrusive. When stuff is playing even quiet I can't hear it at all. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Any noise is worth it I'll never go back to a TV unless it's in a family room that I'd have no choice but to. The immersion is so worth it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some noise but not much it's a super bright projector so running it in eco mode it's not bad. I can hear it but it's not obtrusive. When stuff is playing even quiet I can't hear it at all. Thanks for the suggestions!!!
Yeah figured the masking effect would be sufficient with most. For me in a much smaller bedroom noise/heat would be a concern to an extent. Let alone a place to mount a projector. Or the 590s for that matter. I don't mind a small bedroom these days, tho.

Maybe JBL LSR 7 series?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah figured the masking effect would be sufficient with most. For me in a much smaller bedroom noise/heat would be a concern to an extent. Let alone a place to mount a projector. Or the 590s for that matter. I don't mind a small bedroom these days, tho.

Maybe JBL LSR 7 series?
What about one of those ultra short throw for your room. Those might make more sense. Invert one right in front of the screen up on the ceiling. Nobody even know it was there

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Maybe JBL LSR 7 series?
Keep all the ideas coming all budgets big and small welcome

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
JBL M2s ? :)
Ohhhh that's a good one what do you guys think about those Kali LP 8's or Presonus that James just reviewed not too long ago. Sound like great performers without breaking the bank either

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You should Call Jim Salk! He's got you covered!!! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I need to drive out your way sometime to help you out with your extra speakers problem... :p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Salk PowerPlay Active Monitors
  • No preamp, amp or DAC required. Plug in your sources and you're ready to go!
  • Has analog, coaxial S/PDIF and USB inputs. Plug in a TV, CD player and computer and switch between them at will.
  • Active DSP crossovers result in the flattest, most accurate frequency response you're likely to see. The resulting sound is balanced from top to bottom.
  • Full Remote Control operates power, input and volume without ever leaving the comfort of your listening position.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Good stuff guys I appreciate all the options never knew so many of them were out there keep em coming!!! Lol

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
In my small home office I bought Genelec active monitors/subwoofer for a 2.1 system, and I'm using the Genelec Kit to calibrate the monitors and subwoofers with the calibration stored in the monitors/subwoofer. My use case is different that yours, obviously, but I've toyed with the idea for using Genelec monitors in my living room :)

One issue with active monitors is hiss that can be audible quite far away in some cases, and in some reviews the hiss is noted as very objectionable. This may or may not be an issue for you, but I would not like to hear hiss during quiet parts in a movie. In case you're considering the Kali Audio IN-8 monitor, note that it has just been updated to a 2nd version where they claim to have reduced the hiss (self-noise) by 12 dB.

Unlike most subwoofers for home use active monitors does not always have auto-standby, so you'll need another method for turning them on/off unless you leave them on all the time (hissy monitors in a sleeping room is not for me).

Powering the monitors is another issue but pre-made cables like these ones in varying lengths should help with that (with plugs relevant for where you live). Can then use a power strip to turn off/on all the monitors in one fell swoop.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In my small home office I bought Genelec active monitors/subwoofer for a 2.1 system, and I'm using the Genelec Kit to calibrate the monitors and subwoofers with the calibration stored in the monitors/subwoofer. My use case is different that yours, obviously, but I've toyed with the idea for using Genelec monitors in my living room :)

One issue with active monitors is hiss that can be audible quite far away in some cases, and in some reviews the hiss is noted as very objectionable. This may or may not be an issue for you, but I would not like to hear hiss during quiet parts in a movie. In case you're considering the Kali Audio IN-8 monitor, note that it has just been updated to a 2nd version where they claim to have reduced the hiss (self-noise) by 12 dB.

Unlike most subwoofers for home use active monitors does not always have auto-standby, so you'll need another method for turning them on/off unless you leave them on all the time (hissy monitors in a sleeping room is not for me).

Powering the monitors is another issue but pre-made cables like these ones in varying lengths should help with that (with plugs relevant for where you live). Can then use a power strip to turn off/on all the monitors in one fell swoop.

That info is super helpful thank you for the info and for the links!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis