power surge , now my Anthem Statement P5 buzzes loudly

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It will have ICs, they have been in common usage since the early 70s. The Quad had some stating in the first production in 1976.

My Revox A 700 is full of he things, that was 1973.
Oh I agree, but I am just saying there won't be funny ones, just regular simple ones, most likely just SSI (small scale integration) types, OPAs, MUX etc.etc.,. You have the service manual right, would you mind sharing what kind of ICs you found in the Quad 909?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh I agree, but I am just saying there won't be funny ones, just regular simple ones, most likely just SSI (small scale integration) types, OPAs, MUX etc.etc.,. You have the service manual right, would you mind sharing what kind of ICs you found in the Quad 909?
The 909 has one IC in each amp board and it is this one. It is from Texas instruments.

I was referring to the 405. All 405 have at least one IC on each amp board. There are numerous iterations of the 405 and especially the 405-2. The last iteration of the 405-2 had a custom IC driver stage, which is long since NLA. So you have to fond an older board, or buy one of the Chinese knock off boards. These latter are now numerous as there are still so many 405s and 405-2s in service.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The 909 has one IC in each amp board and it is this one. It is from Texas instruments.

I was referring to the 405. All 405 have at least one IC on each amp board. There are numerous iterations of the 405 and especially the 405-2. The last iteration of the 405-2 had a custom IC driver stage, which is long since NLA. So you have to fond an older board, or buy one of the Chinese knock off boards. These latter are now numerous as there are still so many 405s and 405-2s in service.
So we can at least agree that any such older power amps likely do have ICs in them, but there won't be too many, many be just a few op amps and small processors for fault monitoring, diagnostics, protection etc.

S

shug23

Audioholic Intern
Well, here is the latest.....brought the P5 to the Anthem Dealer on Monday....Tuesday he called me in the afternoon and says he took cover off and tested all kinds of things (that go way over my head) and put RCA plugs on and does NOT get any buzzing and all channels are working....Today he is going to try it with XLR cables (which is what I use)……..Now, I don't know why using XLR cables vs RCA would make any difference....Maybe the P5 is working ????!!!!!........If he calls me back today and says the thing works, then maybe the power surge did something to my receptacle in my house....I suppose it could be my Anthem D2V, but I doubt that...........I will update when I find out more...…….anyone have a thought , given this new info ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, here is the latest.....brought the P5 to the Anthem Dealer on Monday....Tuesday he called me in the afternoon and says he took cover off and tested all kinds of things (that go way over my head) and put RCA plugs on and does NOT get any buzzing and all channels are working....Today he is going to try it with XLR cables (which is what I use)……..Now, I don't know why using XLR cables vs RCA would make any difference....Maybe the P5 is working ????!!!!!........If he calls me back today and says the thing works, then maybe the power surge did something to my receptacle in my house....I suppose it could be my Anthem D2V, but I doubt that...........I will update when I find out more...…….anyone have a thought , given this new info ?
So you did not try to isolate the fault, correct? It is far more likely to be the Anthem D2 than the P5. Power amps generally tolerate these sorts of events, units like the D2 that go down like dominos. That is because they are full of delicate microprocessor circuits.

I use whole house surge protection and everything except my power amps are driven from fast acting UPS devices, that regulate voltage up and down, and above all disconnect from the mains in a micro second in an event like you experienced.

Take your D2 into the dealer and have him test both as an inter connected unit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought you did try both XLR and RCA as I suggested in an earlier post, didn't you? Anyway, that's good news, as expected!!

S

shug23

Audioholic Intern
I thought you did try both XLR and RCA as I suggested in an earlier post, didn't you? Anyway, that's good news, as expected!!
No, I did not try RCA plugs (didn't have) ....I too think this is good news, (but really not so sure why I think it is good news)…….what does this extra bit of info suggest ?

S

shug23

Audioholic Intern
So you did not try to isolate the fault, correct? It is far more likely to be the Anthem D2 than the P5. Power amps generally tolerate these sorts of events, units like the D2 that go down like dominos. That is because they are full of delicate microprocessor circuits.

I use whole house surge protection and everything except my power amps are driven from fast acting UPS devices, that regulate voltage up and down, and above all disconnect from the mains in a micro second in an event like you experienced.

Take your D2 into the dealer and have him test both as an inter connected unit.
yeah....waiting to hear back from him while , in the meantime, you and PENG are doing a good job of educating me......If the XLR's work, I am just surprised why the D2 would cause the P5 to act up on one of the power plugs...The P5 was very loud when I had the upper plug in

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There is no way anything that happened would have affected the power plug. He probably meant, and that's my best guess, that the surge/spike had caused some of the controls to shutdown the section that is powered by that particular plug. I don't have enough info to guess why then, whatever tripped has been reset, you will have to ask him to explain the possibilities to you in plan language.

Although I predicted there would be no damages to the expensive power amp section and the power supplies for reasons I explained, I did anticipate they may have to replace one or more electronic parts or modules that may have something to do with the control functions such as fault monitoring and protection. Now it appears that everything is working, again, mostly something got reset, so it is good news, relatively speaking.

The P5 is a rare truly powerful beast, and you obviously realize how tough it is to send 130 lbs bare/140 lbs in the box out for repair and have it returned/re-installed, so you really should start thinking about protection against lightning induced surges/spikes.

S

shug23

Audioholic Intern
There is no way anything that happened would have affected the power plug. He probably meant, and that's my best guess, that the surge/spike had caused some of the controls to shutdown the section that is powered by that particular plug. I don't have enough info to guess why then, whatever tripped has been reset, you will have to ask him to explain the possibilities to you in plan language.

Although I predicted there would be no damages to the expensive power amp section and the power supplies for reasons I explained, I did anticipate they may have to replace one or more electronic parts or modules that may have something to do with the control functions such as fault monitoring and protection. Now it appears that everything is working, again, mostly something got reset, so it is good news, relatively speaking.

The P5 is a rare truly powerful beast, and you obviously realize how tough it is to send 130 lbs bare/140 lbs in the box out for repair and have it returned/re-installed, so you really should start thinking about protection against lightning induced surges/spikes.
Yeah, I actually have separate circuit breakers in the house dedicated to the P5 solely..….I will talk to the dealer about surge protection.....I hope you are correct that everything is working now.....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I actually have separate circuit breakers in the house dedicated to the P5 solely..….I will talk to the dealer about surge protection.....I hope you are correct that everything is working now.....
There could be some hidden concern that a particular part, depending on what it is, could have been weakened and become more prone to failure. It would be great if the technician is knowledgeable enough to pin out what might have caused the trouble and then got reset/cleared by him/her, or somehow revived itself, then you can asked him about the availability of the part(s) and costs, in the eventuality if it does fail. He may tell you nothing could have been weakened, and if he does I won't debate that at all. So, I wish you luck, you deserve it, after risking yourself to move that 140 lbs box back once, and one more to go.

S

shug23

Audioholic Intern
There could be some hidden concern that a particular part, depending on what it is, could have been weakened and become more prone to failure. It would be great if the technician is knowledgeable enough to pin out what might have caused the trouble and then got reset/cleared by him/her, or somehow revived itself, then you can asked him about the availability of the part(s) and costs, in the eventuality if it does fail. He may tell you nothing could have been weakened, and if he does I won't debate that at all. So, I wish you luck, you deserve it, after risking yourself to move that 140 lbs box back once, and one more to go.
I have a lot of confidence in the technician and yeah, I hate moving the P5. It's as heavy as my wife

S

shug23

Audioholic Intern
ok...so technician called and he is saying the P5 is working good in his shop....that's the good news.....tomorrow I bring in the D2V to see if this is the problem

S

shug23

Audioholic Intern
well.....everythimg works now !!!! no idea what happened and why.......By the way, when the P5 was buzzing, it wasn't coming thru the speakers; it was coming from the actual unit itself...…..Anyway, I am happy.......cost me 85 bucks and some labor , but hopefully alls well that ends well...Thanks much!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis