Power cable revelations inside! MUST READ!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You can make out the Klipsch tag of you zoom in. I'm with j_garcia. Likely La Scalas. Man, that design has been around for a long time.

(Edit) Wrong. He mentions Belle Klipsch in another thread, though the design is similar to La Scala.
Yep, the front looks like an A L but they are for in corner use with the cabinet so angled in the back if memory serves.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
You can make out the Klipsch tag of you zoom in. I'm with j_garcia. Likely La Scalas. Man, that design has been around for a long time.

(Edit) Wrong. He mentions Belle Klipsch in another thread, though the design is similar to La Scala.
Yep. Wife never would have gone for LaScalas. Belles work perfectly with the furniture. But fundamentally Belles and LaScalas are the same speaker.

highfigh

highfigh

It's just another case of self fulfilling expectations. You expect a thread like this to be audiophile nonsense,so you overlook the details and jump to the conclusion.
I have no idea what you're talking about.:cool:

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
The drivers are Electrovoice, which makes them a likely candidate for Klipsch.
All this talk of A/L is hurting my heart, because I left a pair of Model 14s (a restoration project I never got around to starting) behind in VA when we moved.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
All this talk of A/L is hurting my heart, because I left a pair of Model 14s (a restoration project I never got around to starting) behind in VA when we moved.
That could have been a fun project. ;_;

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
That could have been a fun project. ;_;
It could have. Structurally, they were fine, but they needed a full gut. Woofers were dry-rotted, tweets were basically cooked, and there was no evidence the crossovers worked at all. Still, could have been a foundation for a cool office system.

Considering I paid 40 bucks for them from a local junk dealer up there, hell, I probably could have made a pretty penny selling them afterwards if I didn't keep them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I could be wrong but weren't Altec's made here in Pa back in the day ?

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I could be wrong but weren't Altec's made here in Pa back in the day ?
Possible, though there's no evidence to suggest they were ever headquartered there. AL has been owned by a very long string of other companies over the years.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow was just checking out all the hands Altec Lansing has gone thru....but no mentions of location(s) but in some looking around seems they were in Oklahoma City for a while....

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Wow was just checking out all the hands Altec Lansing has gone thru....but no mentions of location(s) but in some looking around seems they were in Oklahoma City for a while....
OKC, Texas, Michigan (when they first became A-L, after buying out the Lansing factory), California, all over the place.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Possible, though there's no evidence to suggest they were ever headquartered there. AL has been owned by a very long string of other companies over the years.
I just seem to recall many years ago driving through the NE quadrant of the sate and seeing a massive bldg with Altec Lansing on the side of it ???

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, I was planning on using them as a source for the parts I needed to rehab the 14s.
Nice info on their web site on the 14s. I wonder if any American companies use their drivers for home audio applications? The product list looks like it's targeted at the commercial space.

highfigh

highfigh

Nice info on their web site on the 14s. I wonder if any American companies use their drivers for home audio applications? The product list looks like it's targeted at the commercial space.
Altec was bought by Sparkomatic, so they surely aren't what they were- now, it's just a name and logo. AFAIK, they make nothing for pro audio.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Altec was bought by Sparkomatic, so they surely aren't what they were- now, it's just a name and logo. AFAIK, they make nothing for pro audio.
Sparko also sold them back off afterward. If I'm not mistaken, that marriage only lasted a few years.

They're currently owned by Infinity, or at least last I heard.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis