Power amp manufacturers 2024

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur off Topic a bit, Do you use any home audio headphones? If so what manufacturer and brand if you don't mind stating. Been a over a Decade maybe two since I've had a decent pair of headphones can you recommend any? I can research it, though.
Only for convenience, not serious listening. So nothing really fancy... no Drop or Dan Clark cans... :rolleyes: I have old AirPod Pros, 1st gen that I use when working and for phone calls.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@ryanosaur off Topic a bit, Do you use any home audio headphones? If so what manufacturer and brand if you don't mind stating. Been a over a Decade maybe two since I've had a decent pair of headphones can you recommend any? I can research it, though.
Wayde Robson has done several headphone reviews on this site and would probably be the one to ask.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the question regarding dynamic range is valid (hopefully @PENG will respond, he knows more than I). It's my admittedly limited understanding that these purify and hypex amps with switching supplies don't offer much in the way of dynamic headroom above rated power, unlike a standard a/b amp with unregulated supplies which can often provide an extra db or two above rated power, albeit briefly. So that may be something the prospective buyer should keep in mind. "Too much is just enough" is a rule I try to follow regarding amps; clipping is to be avoided.

Otherwise, the hypex and purify amps have SOTA performance that leaves traditional a/b amps in the dust. They really seem to approach the "straight wire with gain" ideal. Clarity? They got it.

Another point to clarify: I thought the Buckeye amps were the more budget conscious compared to the Nord and Appolon amps. I could be wrong. They are available with the latest and greatest purify modules.
Thanks, I don't know much of the nitty-gritty as I am not an amp designer but as EE I might understand the theories and principles a little more than the average users, that's all.

On the dynamic headroom issue, I would just quote one from an amp designer/manufacturer, and one from someone on ASR, as his post summed up what I could have said myself nicely:

First, from amp manufacturer, Anthem FAQ in this case on "headroom":

How much headroom do your amps have?
Careful - headroom numbers are usually misleading. A smaller figure is better here because headroom should really be called "how much does the power supply sag while stressed for more than a fraction of a second".
and then ASR post on the same topic, but with more details:

How true? Class D amps can't sustain their maximum spec'd power | Page 3 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I hope that clarifies enough on this topic.

Anthem's point is clear, but I think they could have provided a little context as there are cases where "a smaller figure is better..." is also misleading, the key in their sentence is the word "here", that they should have elaborated a little more. That's why I have to quote DonH56's post that imo has sufficiently filled in Anthem's big blank lol..

Note: Anthem's response most likely referred to class AB amp only.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis