Post Your Best Budget Speaker Finds Here

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
My journey. About 2 months ago, I sold off my pair of GoldenEar Triton 3+ speakers. They were good speakers. Very capable and far enough up the GoldenEar chain to be great performers. After 3 years, I wanted to switch up my sound a bit. First, I opted for the Focal 1008BE, then the Wharfedale Diamond 225, the Sony Core speakers and finally the Elac B6.2 speakers. The upper end on the Wharfedale 225 was a little too relaxed for what I wanted. The Sony had the upper end detail that I desired, but I wanted a bit better mid-range performance too. The Focal 1008BE was going to be my "End all" set of speakers, but I also wanted to to change some of my other components around and felt that having $2,000 speakers at this time wasn't my best move. On Wednesday, some new Audyn Pure Copper capacitors will be arriving where I've read of some Elac B6.2 owners have applied the modification to the crossover with positive results. That's where I'll stay... until the next speaker comes along. In some ways, I can't believe I can be happy with $170.00 speakers and I'd need to spend more money to solve my wants. The struggle is real.
Focal 1008BE.JPG
Diamond 225.JPG
Sony Core.JPG
Elac B62.JPG

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
All I see above is a bundle of joy, getting to audition all those speakers!

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
I didn't get this posted in time last evening. However, the Klipsch Web site and other vendors (e.g. Best Buy) had the Klipsch R-51M speakers on sale for $144.00 a pair. Sadly, the price has gone back up to $289.00 as of midnight. I was able to reserve a pair at a local Best Buy and picked them up after work. Granted, there are lovers and haters of Klipsch. However, their newer speakers have the presence of a better balanced treble region. Also, while I wasn't the biggest fan of their speakers during 2 purchases in the past, I've realized now at 56 years old, my hearing issues are catching up to me. I'm finding the Klipsch sound favorable for my listening habits. Also, purchased a pair of open box RP-600M speakers with larger woofers and better lower end and higher end specs for the frequency range. Those speakers should arrive tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here are the specs on the R-51M:

• frequency response: 62-21,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • impedance: 8 ohms compatible
  • sensitivity: 93 dB
  • power handling: up to 85 watts RMS (340 watts peak)
  • 90° x 90° Tractrix® horn with 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) aluminum diaphragm compression tweeter
  • 5-1/4" copper spun magnetically shielded IMG woofer

Additionally, I see the prices of the DCM speakers on Ebay keep their slow price increase on Ebay. I guess the popularity of these speakers are catching on and the vendor has raised the prices to $109.95.

Klipsch R-51M.JPG

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Additionally, I see the prices of the DCM speakers on Ebay keep their slow price increase on Ebay. I guess the popularity of these speakers are catching on and the vendor has raised the prices to $109.95.
Prices are going up on some because of low stock ... and still worth the prices if raised even higher

F

felipe

Audioholic
Would a X-mas gift be considered a budget find?? The only reason I ask is because I recieved a complete Dolby Atmos speaker upgrade for the holidays :)...a pair of Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2s, the C5.2 center, and the A4.2 Atmos modules for the fronts and rears...all for the cost of nothing lol. I’ll post pics when time allows.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
$_1.jpeg

80976693_614.jpg

Got this at my local thrift store for $10. Almost mint Energy Encore 1. It was highly praised when it was released in 2001. Tweeter reminded me of the NXG speakers I had. Looks stunning with a glossy finish. I hooked them up last night, but didn't get a chance to really listen to it. What I heard it did sound good. Should be a bit of an upgrade to the Dayton center, which is a good center for the $20ish I paid new from PE sale. Net pictures not mine.

Last edited:
W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
The Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. Found them locally, in "like-new" condition in the box for $30.00. The speakers are capable of getting down to 55 Hz with 4" woofers, but with the subs, are wonderful music performers. If you read the specs for these speakers, you'd laugh. I know I did for the past 2+ years and shunned these speakers off. Needless to say, when I got the pair home and then plugged them in about a week after them sitting in the box, I can't believe I had the doubts about them that I did. Wow!

Also, many other projects "in-the-works":
  • Modified my Elac B6.2 speakers by upgrading the capacitor and resistors with better quality components (about $12.00 worth of parts). Subtle, but improved sound changes.
  • In the process of modifying my Klipsch RP-600M speakers with the Danny Richie GR-Research crossovers.
  • A pair of JBL 530 speakers will be arriving in the middle of next week.
  • I'm done - honest! I have 3 or 4 pair of speakers to put through the rotation at times when I want a slightly different sound. Total cost for 4 pair and upgrades = $1,300.

Pioneer Andrew Jones Speakers.JPG

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found this thing for 10 or 20 bucks at one of the thrift stores in my area and have no clue what it is. Looks like some kinda power conditioner or reserve? Dunno. It sure is heavy.

download_20200118_112503-1612x1209.jpg
download_20200118_112456-1209x1612.jpg
download_20200118_112448-1209x1612.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I found this thing for 10 or 20 bucks at one of the thrift stores in my area and have no clue what it is. Looks like some kinda power conditioner or reserve? Dunno. It sure is heavy.

View attachment 33435View attachment 33436View attachment 33437
It's an uninterruptible power supply, or UPS. In that rated VA range, they would normally go for like $150, so if that is in good condition, that would be a good deal. They are more for computers though, so if the power goes out, it doesn't abruptly shut down your PC which can make you lose a bunch of unsaved data.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's an uninterruptible power supply, or UPS. In that rated VA range, they would normally go for like $150, so if that is in good condition, that would be a good deal. They are more for computers though, so if the power goes out, it doesn't abruptly shut down your PC which can make you lose a bunch of unsaved data.
Thanks Shady! I was guessing something along those lines. Like a battery or capacitor or something, huh? Next time I swing by there I'll see if they still have it. If it's only ten bucks why not? I have that in cash in my wallet usually.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So what, I'd plug my receiver, subs and amp into it or is it mainly for pc? Does it offer surge protection too?
Hard to say. Some do have surge protection but you’d have to check. My guess is that someone dumped because the battery was shot. Good news is you can easily replace the battery(usually). I’ve done that a few times on UPS’s ive had over the years.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
I think we're getting a bit off track here - being it's the "Best Budget Speaker Finds" thread. :O

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I have found a ton of good Used deals over the years... I'll post my top 3

#3 Jamo E855 towers with matching center and two ported cerwin Vega subs for $100

#2 Klipsch RF3 towers with matching center, bi-pole surrounds , subwoofer & Yamaha AVR all for $125

#1 mind condition of Polk SDA-2B ( studio version) speakers for $200. Polk SDA tech is real & provides one of the best stereo images I have ever heard.

B

bose1801owener

Audiophyte
by best find was a pair of bowers and wilkins dm640 in showroom condition not one blemish came with original boxes also they came with some nice cables dont remember the brand tho.

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
Got a pair of polk tsi 300 for 200. They work great. Paired them with the cs10 from polk and they serve as my front soundstage. Need to get matching surrounds now. But im happy with it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis