Post Review - HSU vs Rhythmik

M

MarkMM

Enthusiast
So was all set to order the HSU VTF-15, but now after reading the shoot out on the FV15HP, I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone's views changed since the FV15HP review?

C

clouso

Banned
So was all set to order the HSU VTF-15, but now after reading the shoot out on the FV15HP, I'm not sure what to do.

Well i must admitt it made me think 1 or 2 seconds but like i said with the great costumer support i had since a week with HSU RESEARCH and the reputation they have im going to stick with the VTF-15H...im sure it will compare or maybe even bests the RYTHMIK...who knows...oh yes the guys at AH knows by now im sure..lol.we will see anyway..good luck in your desision....

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I still want to see the other two reviews before I make any final decisions for myself. I am still leaning towards getting dual VTF-15, but I want to see that review. I will say, the Rythmik looks very good though...

Plus, I'm still debating whether I want to spend that much ($2K+) for two subs or find something cheaper. So I'm still up in the air on both sides of the equation.

ntrain42

ntrain42

Junior Audioholic

The be quite honest, Rythmik products have always had much better SQ than HSU products. Now they have a product out thats got a ton of output as well. ;)

C

clouso

Banned
Forgot to mention also in my desision....the vtf-15 is also cheaper ....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think you'll regret either one.
On a more practical level. If you are chompin' at the bit, ready to pull the trigger, you might give both companies a call and check lead times. I have no idea, but it may be that there is a lead time of, say, 4-6 weeks on one of these subs. If that is the case, verify that they will not bill your card until the product ships and get it on order! You can always withdraw your order, but you probably don't want to wait another 2 weeks for the next review, then start the 4-6 week lead time.
Fast track it, baby!:cool:

C

clouso

Banned
I don't think you'll regret either one.
On a more practical level. If you are chompin' at the bit, ready to pull the trigger, you might give both companies a call and check lead times. I have no idea, but it may be that there is a lead time of, say, 4-6 weeks on one of these subs. If that is the case, verify that they will not bill your card until the product ships and get it on order! You can always withdraw your order, but you probably don't want to wait another 2 weeks for the next review, then start the 4-6 week lead time.
Fast track it, baby!:cool:
You are right...but yesterday i had another email from HSU and he told me that they could ship within the next one or two days...then it will depends on the borders and stuff....i can count at least a week i think....and by the time im writing this i received an email from Elemental Designs..yeah i wrote to them on on last friday...they are now offering dual A5-350 for 715$ a unit....ok im getting confused and thinking all again....:confused:

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
The be quite honest, Rythmik products have always had much better SQ than HSU products. Now they have a product out thats got a ton of output as well. ;)
Being a former Hsu owner and a current Rythmik owner, I am not sure that is a fair apples to apples comparison.

My sealed Rythmik F15 easily sounds better than the Hsu VTF-3.3 I had(and I would say that the Hsu is one of the best, if not the best sounding vented sub I have heard), and there are reports from a GTG that the vented Rythmik does not sound as good as their sealed offerings.

The best comparison for SQ would be the FV15HP vs the VTF-15H.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
You are right...but yesterday i had another email from HSU and he told me that they could ship within the next one or two days...then it will depends on the borders and stuff....i can count at least a week i think....and by the time im writing this i received an email from Elemental Designs..yeah i wrote to them on on last friday...they are now offering dual A5-350 for 715$ a unit....ok im getting confused and thinking all again....:confused:
Go with your gut.....go with the Hsu....;)

C

clouso

Banned
Go with your gut.....go with the Hsu....;)
you are damn right...lol...i am tired of thinking and i am sure i will love the HSU...it will defenitly be the vtf-15h......end of discussion..haha...but i must admitt i am anxious to read that review...lol

ntrain42

ntrain42

Junior Audioholic
Being a former Hsu owner and a current Rythmik owner, I am not sure that is a fair apples to apples comparison.

My sealed Rythmik F15 easily sounds better than the Hsu VTF-3.3 I had(and I would say that the Hsu is one of the best, if not the best sounding vented sub I have heard), and there are reports from a GTG that the vented Rythmik does not sound as good as the sealed offerings.
The "GTG" was not a very good indication IMO for some of the subs since nothing was set up well or tuned to the room or placement. From my understanding they just plopped the subs down wherever there was available space, plugged em in and let em play. Some of the subs were corner loaded, some were out in the middle of the room. My understanding was that the sealed Rythmik excelled, and the vented unit was not as good as well(but it was mentioned that it really wasn't set up well either and jammed into a corner) Either way, I'll have a chance to see how good the FV15HP sounds. Gettin mine this week, will be directly comparing to the D15se and F15HP sealed units. I also dont expect the vented unit to be quite as good as the sealed units, but Im hoping its close.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Understood....

The fairest comparison between a vented Rythmik and a vented Hsu would be in the same room with fair setup and calibration.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I still want to see the other two reviews before I make any final decisions for myself. I am still leaning towards getting dual VTF-15, but I want to see that review. I will say, the Rythmik looks very good though...

Plus, I'm still debating whether I want to spend that much ($2K+) for two subs or find something cheaper. So I'm still up in the air on both sides of the equation.
And don't forget that at $2-2.4k you're getting close to the price of the 800lb gorilla A7-900. I've heard the VTF-15 and liked it a lot. I haven't heard the eD but CraigSub's several years old review was glowing. And now there is the FV15HP and I'm honestly absolutely fascinated. In my mind this undid all the FUD that a FUD artist integrator that I spoke with was spreading about the vented Rythmik - especially since he hadn't actually herd it. I may have to find a way to listen for myself. :D

My only quibble is with the review itself. It's fine to have a section covering/testing the sub's internal crossover but that's not real world. Who (other than the author) doesn't have a receiver/processor with a crossover? A paragraph or two on it - yes, then move on and test with real world gear and the receiver/processor's crossover. The second issue was the selection of subjective test material as admitted by the author. It's wonderful that he likes Joni Mitchell but there was nothing in the test material that tested/shook-out the sub's abilities/limitations/high-points/low-points so I've mentally just set that section aside as more conversational than useful. Finally a useful test needs to be based on a real world baseline of say 20hz for all of the subs. You can and should do subjective listening tests at 20hz and at the lowest tuning but the volume tests should probably all be as close to 20hz/naive tuning (no port plugs) as possible as a baseline for all the subs. Darn few people are going to spend $1200 and tune it to 28hz. Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for the author, lab-tester, and Gene's efforts in putting together this review for us. There were some nuggets of good solid meat there but I'm going to do a lot more research before spending that kind of money.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
b

huh? i thought you just bought a paradigm

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
And don't forget that at $2-2.4k you're getting close to the price of the 800lb gorilla A7-900. I've heard the VTF-15 and liked it a lot. I haven't heard the eD but CraigSub's several years old review was glowing. And now there is the FV15HP and I'm honestly absolutely fascinated. In my mind this undid all the FUD that a FUD artist integrator that I spoke with was spreading about the vented Rythmik - especially since he hadn't actually herd it. I may have to find a way to listen for myself. :D

hahahaha... I never really thought about the A7-900 at that price point, but that does seem like a steal for the money. Something about trying to get a 400lb subwoofer up three flights of stairs to my apartment with that much potential output seems like I'm asking for big trouble. Shoot, even two VTF-15's or FV15HP is probably way more than I need right now.

C

clouso

Banned
b

huh? i thought you just bought a paradigm
haha...yeah so what...i LOVE upgrading.....i love my paradigm speakers and i will keep it for quite a time..''next thing will be upgrating to the signature series''...but subwoofer wise i think paradigms are very and too costly....i can get better elswhere for less........if im wrong again just tell me..

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
haha...yeah so what...i LOVE upgrading.....i love my paradigm speakers and i will keep it for quite a time..''next thing will be upgrating to the signature series''...but subwoofer wise i think paradigms are very and too costly....i can get better elswhere for less........if im wrong again just tell me..
not at all. the market for subs is way different between people who shop in stores and people who shop online. i just thought maybe you ran into some problems with the Sub12 that made you return it.
Although i will say the signatures are rather pricey speakers and if you are gonna drop that kinda money you should definetely audition around to see if there's something you end up liking better like maybe Salk V3s, Revel F52s, Seaton Catalysts, or Linkwitz Orions! Just cuz you never know what you might end up loving. :)

C

clouso

Banned
not at all. the market for subs is way different between people who shop in stores and people who shop online. i just thought maybe you ran into some problems with the Sub12 that made you return it.
Although i will say the signatures are rather pricey speakers and if you are gonna drop that kinda money you should definetely audition around to see if there's something you end up liking better like maybe Salk V3s, Revel F52s, or Linkwitz Orions!
Yeah...i am trying to audition the most i can but in my area i cannot...but i read a lot and learn a lot..and btw GraneedEV...i already bouth and sold stuff online and you are right...lower prices....but HSU will be my first online buy from a true manufaturer...i have been looking for them here in Canada and didnt find any dealers..... yes i will be making a blind purchase...but like i said before here i am trusting you guys and im sure the VTF-15H will be another upgrade in my setup.................

C

clouso

Banned
Although i will say the signatures are rather pricey speakers and if you are gonna drop that kinda money you should definetely audition around to see if there's something you end up liking better like maybe Salk V3s, Revel F52s, Seaton Catalysts, or Linkwitz Orions! Just cuz you never know what you might end up loving. :)
oh and yes indeed..i ran into a problem with the sub12....at the begenning of pink floyd's ''the dark side of the moon''...speake to me /breathe...the sub12 was clapping or was botomming out and i didnt like it.. ''speaking of the woofer''...and FYI.... my sub level on the receiver is set at +2db from a range to -10 to +10...and the LFE at -5db....its the only song that the sub12 was or has been struggling....maybe if you can hear it with your monsters you can tell me how low or what is the SPL on the begenning of this song...only the begenning...the heart beat!...i dont have any measurments tools right now so..........for the rest i couldnt complain about the sub12..it was fast quick and very accurate...but never again i will hear that clapping sound from one of my speakers...if it cant take it...well go away i will buy better lol...thats my way of thinking and im sure lots of you guys think the same way...

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
hahahaha... I never really thought about the A7-900 at that price point, but that does seem like a steal for the money. Something about trying to get a 400lb subwoofer up three flights of stairs to my apartment with that much potential output seems like I'm asking for big trouble. Shoot, even two VTF-15's or FV15HP is probably way more than I need right now.
I came so close to pulling the trigger on an A7-900 before Christmas but the size and weight scared me off and I spent the money I had saved on other toys. Somehow an A7-900 running near field just sounds like fun. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis