Portable blu-ray player to take on the road?

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Hi All! :) I've not been here in a while - now in retirement and taking frequent short road trips - stay at nice hotels that all have Wi-Fi in the room and usually flat screen HDTVs. I own about 700 optical discs (just over half are now BDs). I would like to take some when we are 'on the road' to play in our room but would typically need a blu-ray player (assuming the HDTVs had appropriate AV inputs, such as HDMI). Although I have a Macbook Pro w/ an external optical drive (only DVD at the moment), we usually only take along our iPads to check email & browse the web.

SO, are there any 'small' (don't need an attached screen - just want a HDTV hookup option) BD players (rather than the usual 10" x 12" or so table top models) that might work for us? Kind of would like 'something' the size of the old Sony CD players I use to own but w/ AV outputs compatible w/ today's HDTVs. Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Dave

P.S. I guess an Apple TV using AirPlay from our iPads might work but not sure if possible in a hotel room using their Wi-Fi connection?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Going forward, when you purchase Blu-Ray, most come with a code that lets you add it to sites like www.vudu.com. It lets you keep a digital copy on their site and it doesn't cost you anything additional beyond the cost of the movie you purchased. They also offer an inexpensive way to add your movies Optical to Digital Download (though for 700 movies could be very expensive lol)

I have over 200 movies on vudu. Whats nice, is once you have them there, you can download to your storage medium, (ipad, computer, or phone memory card etc) So when you reach those times when you don't have a wifi connection, you will have access to the movies.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I think those little Sony's are about as small as you will find. But, as a bonus, if your hotel has wi-fi, you can access the many apps (Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, Pandora, etc...) on these Sony's assuming, of course, you subscribe to them and have registered the unit as required.

BTW, those "little" Sony's are pretty nice. I've got a few.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis