Porcupine Tree In Absentia DTS DVD Audio Review!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've kept that one in heavy rotation the last 6 months or so. I disagree that is sounds harsh (at least it doesn't on my system) but I'll second the observation that it's somewhat lacking in bass. Or rather, there is some low bass, but only in a few spots. Otherwise I think the disc sound quite good, and I love the use of surround effects. The music is amazing, IMO.

Interesting enough, while I'd only discovered PT about a year ago, they've been around since the 80's. At some point I want to delve into their back catalog, but I'm definately spoiled by the DVD-A version of In Absenstia.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I tend to agree with Jeffs assessment of the DVD sound quality. I found many of the tracks to be way overly bright, and compressed sounding. If I get a chance I will take a few scope shots and see how much clipping and overcompression is going on with this disc. Overall it is an enjoyable disc, good content, nice mix, but I wish it sounded a bit more open and smooth.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Most pop & rock is compressed too much, especially nowadays. "Bright" is subjective, I guess. How do we know how "bright" it's supposed to sound? We could compare it to the CD, but I'm not eager to buy the CD just to compare the two. At any rate, I'd rate the album as pure genius, content-wise. Well worth the money.

U

Unregistered

A friend of mine works for DTS and gave me this DVD-A. It is very enjoyable and one of the discs I use to explain to people what DVD-A is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis