Poor support from Denon

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes, guy gets a sweet new sub and starts “pissing” all over the forums.:rolleyes: You know I’m kidding, I love it!:D

H

Harrison Ranch

Enthusiast
Denon AVR750H is boxed up and ready to be shipped back. They dont answer their phones anymore so if you buy their product be ready to download the 260 page users manual.
A mid price Yamaha AV receiver is its replacement.
Now for the audiophile stereo solution.
Regardless of what the reviews say, what is important is how the system sounds to an individual. So go to the nearest and best listening room and demo your short list.
My next stop is Magnolia in the Palm Beach area.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most of us use the manual rather than phoning for help. Good luck, I'd find the Yamaha even less straightforward vs the Denon in terms of being intuitive without using a manual. Your best auditioning is done in the room you will be listening in rather than a dealer's, too. Subjective reviews are often useless.

H

Harrison Ranch

Enthusiast
Most of us use the manual rather than phoning for help. Good luck, I'd find the Yamaha even less straightforward vs the Denon in terms of being intuitive without using a manual. Your best auditioning is done in the room you will be listening in rather than a dealer's, too. Subjective reviews are often useless.
The only help needed was a return authorization. Denon can't handle their call volume. So whether it's a simple return or a technical question, or you simply dont like the way it sounds, you are on your own.
The point of this thread is to advise other hifi enthusiasts that Denon has lost the bubble on customer care. And while the AVRS750H is OK for a home theatre setup, it falls flat on the front channel stereo setup. Too little oomph for 8 ohm speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only help needed was a return authorization. Denon can't handle their call volume. So whether it's a simple return or a technical question, or you simply dont like the way it sounds, you are on your own.
The point of this thread is to advise other hifi enthusiasts that Denon has lost the bubble on customer care. And while the AVRS750H is OK for a home theatre setup, it falls flat on the front channel stereo setup. Too little oomph for 8 ohm speakers.
I've never bought from Denon directly, they didn't have the best prices being the reason. Their customer service has definitely been impacted by Covid, tho from what I've read of yours and some others, tho. If it works well for audio it works well for audio, distinction between movie soundtrack and music capabilities is just something I've never found to be true. It either is a good speaker/room combo or it isn't.....I've found electronics make so little difference as to be mostly irrelevant (and I still have some separate 2ch stuff I've compared to). YMMV.

Which Yamaha did you go with?

H

Harrison Ranch

Enthusiast
If you're unhappy with the sound then you need new speakers. As long as you have sufficient power for your speakers amplification won't change anything.

Did you run room correction?
I liked the sound room rack of McIntosh pictures, which sound room was it?
I have already received the Yamaha for the home theater, what is your opinion on under $1K integrated amps. My useage is mostly a good collection of CDs and vinyl.

H

Harrison Ranch

Enthusiast
I've never bought from Denon directly, they didn't have the best prices being the reason. Their customer service has definitely been impacted by Covid, tho from what I've read of yours and some others, tho. If it works well for audio it works well for audio, distinction between movie soundtrack and music capabilities is just something I've never found to be true. It either is a good speaker/room combo or it isn't.....I've found electronics make so little difference as to be mostly irrelevant (and I still have some separate 2ch stuff I've compared to). YMMV.

Which Yamaha did you go with?
The 385. The reason being is it has the old style metal chasis and enclosure with sufficient front panel controls to be user friendly. The newer ones are rounded blobs of plastic that force you to use your widescreen tv as a giant computer monitor.
I am 80% stereo hifi and 20% home theater useage and the Yamaha was a sweet spot in price and functionality. It only has 4 HDMI inputs but that is more than I need. It does not have a phono input but it is going to be dedicated to a modest home theater setup so is not needed. I like the way Yamaha sounds, but it also has independent reviews that place it high on the list at its modest price point. As stated previously, the best way to pick out equipment is to demo speaker and amp pairs in a sound room. And since I am remodeling my home theatre, I am adding sound enhancements to the structure and surface of the walls. This latter approach is often overlooked and if you have the time and money you can get better sound by building a better room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems more like a lateral move to me. While a basic avr like that can be okay, I tend to prefer models further up the ladder for better features and connectivity as well as amp section (or flexibility to use external amplification). I rarely need a front panel on an avr in any case, more than fine using a remote once properly setup. Good luck!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I liked the sound room rack of McIntosh pictures, which sound room was it?
I have already received the Yamaha for the home theater, what is your opinion on under $1K integrated amps. My useage is mostly a good collection of CDs and vinyl.
It was a place named "Bjorn's" in San Antonio. That was their flagship setup at the time and it was a treated room with everything dialed in. Speakers were B&W 802D3s. They let me sit in the sweet spot and I listened to several songs while I was there. An impressive system for sure, and I love the look and build quality of Mcintosh gear but ultimately it's more about audio jewelry than it is sound quality.

I don't think my opinion matters much to you, as you've made it clear your expectation bias would prevent you from recognizing there's really no audible difference from one to the other. I think my Denon S510BT is just as capable of producing clean, high quality sound as that whole Mac stack, as long as it's operating within spec and not driven to clipping.

So I guess... just pick whatever one you think looks the coolest and has the fluffiest buzz words to describe how delicious it is in the many subjective (and quite frankly erroneous, imo) reviews from the likes of "whathifi" and their ilk.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 385. The reason being is it has the old style metal chasis and enclosure with sufficient front panel controls to be user friendly. The newer ones are rounded blobs of plastic that force you to use your widescreen tv as a giant computer monitor.
I am 80% stereo hifi and 20% home theater useage and the Yamaha was a sweet spot in price and functionality. It only has 4 HDMI inputs but that is more than I need. It does not have a phono input but it is going to be dedicated to a modest home theater setup so is not needed. I like the way Yamaha sounds, but it also has independent reviews that place it high on the list at its modest price point. As stated previously, the best way to pick out equipment is to demo speaker and amp pairs in a sound room. And since I am remodeling my home theatre, I am adding sound enhancements to the structure and surface of the walls. This latter approach is often overlooked and if you have the time and money you can get better sound by building a better room.
You bought another entry level avr to replace an entry level avr..? Seems like a lateral move to me and I'd expect the same results.

Yamaha- RX-A2080
Denon- AVR X3700H
Marantz- SR6015

Those are my 3 entry level choices for those 3 brands. I would not want any of the models below those. There's nothing wrong with buying previous year models to save a buck either, provided you can find one. Amir over at Audio Science Review bench tested the Denon AVR X3600H and it outperformed a lot of other "audiophile quality" processors for a lot less cost. That'd be my first choice if I were in the market right now.

ASR review:
Take a quick peek at some of the names on this list the lowly Denon receiver outperformed.
Best home theater receiver review 2020 (2).png

Denon 3600 at Best Buy

Accessories 4 Less, currently out of stock, but a great buy if you keep an eye out and they come back in stock.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Don't tell ADTG but that's one of the reasons my HTP-1 went back and I get the Denon X8500H next week.

Aside from the issues I had with the unit of course.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis