Polk R50 139.99 a pair Portland, OR Area

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I picked up a pair over a month ago for this price. Great sound for a very reasonable price. Can't go wrong.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Still available

I just picked up a pair in Washington state at Fry's for $69 each. They also have them on the website. www.frys.com follow the link to their Outpost site. They should be available down in Cali since there are several large Fry's stores down there.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Wow. At that price, you can outfit the entire room with towers. Great find. People should jump at that if they've given up looking for the first generation Athena towers.
You'd compare that to the Athena's? If so then at that price I may have to order 2 pair

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Spiffyfast said:
You'd compare that to the Athena's? If so then at that price I may have to order 2 pair
No, I'd take the Athena's over these Polks. I would have preferred what the Athena's were selling for at clearance. Dual 8" Athena's with a high spl are more amp friendly with the mid to lower end receivers, but as far as anything that compares right now, those Polks are pretty much a steal. $139 a pair is BIC DV62 bookshelf territory! I'm not saying if you have a $1000-$3000 budget to go out and buy these. But if you're still in school, or starting out with your first system, it's a great find. If in a year, you get tired of them, you dump them on ebay for $99 a pair.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Compared to anything in it's price point, they are pretty amazing. Oddly enough I heard the Athenas and thought these are "close" If I could have found the Athena F2s I would have bought them instead. Ultimately though it never hurts to have a set of speakers for another room! :) As mine break in the sound is getting alot warmer. They were a tad bright at first but I am REALLY impressed with the imaging on these (again for the money)

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
buckeye is a big polk fan!

take his word and get these speakers!!

i waited 6 months for this deal and finally snagged a pair! now i run R50s, R30s (rear), R15s(side) and CSi20 in a 7.1 setup with a PSW202 woofer. Run 'em thru a Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver. awesome sound!!! I did not spend much on this awesome setup- $1000 max.

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
For the price, I think these are a very good speaker. I bought 4 for my dad, (in Cherry) and "previewed " them for several months.

Used these as part of a HT system for my dad. (combined with a Pioneer vsx 1014 - I upgraded me to the vsx 1015!) MUCH MUCH better than your average HT in a box!

I had a hard time giving them up when it came time to give them to my dad.

While these are not the best of the best, IMO, there is nothing that touchese this quality at this price!

webstalker

webstalker

Audiophyte
arevee said:
take his word and get these speakers!!

i waited 6 months for this deal and finally snagged a pair! now i run R50s, R30s (rear), R15s(side) and CSi20 in a 7.1 setup with a PSW202 woofer. Run 'em thru a Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver. awesome sound!!! I did not spend much on this awesome setup- $1000 max.
I have almost the exact setup waiting for these r50s.
outpost has them on sale for 59.99 each now.
waiting for them to get in store so I don't have to pay outragous shipping)

r30 fronts
r15's sides
cs1 center
psw10
onkyo ts-sr602

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Ragtop said:
Just looking through the Oregonian and saw the Fry's ad. Polk R50s for $139.99 a pair this weekend only.

Here they are on the Polk site:
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=3&speaker=179

Great speaker, outstanding price!!!
WOW! Another Oregonian. We're gonna be overrunning the place pretty soon.

Would anyone be able to offer me an opinion relevant to swapping these Polks for my JBL S312's? This is what they are, and sound pretty decent....
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=S312&CheckProduct=Y
They're a grand per pair but street price is much better. I'm looking for a bit more 'clarity' in my speakers (but I have a bright room with reflection issues). Room size is 22x27xvaulted ceiling. Or alternatively, would the Polks make for good bedroom speakers?

I would appreciate any input before the weekend sale. T'anx.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
rjbudz said:
Would anyone be able to offer me an opinion relevant to swapping these Polks for my JBL S312's?
Sure! I'll buy the Polk's - then lets swap. I've been jealous of your JBL speakers for a long time.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
AverageJoe said:
Sure! I'll buy the Polk's - then lets swap. I've been jealous of your JBL speakers for a long time.

Actually, I had these in mind as my Christmas present to you. Oh well, there you go again, Joe. I guess you're gettin' nuttin', honey. :D

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
Drat! I lost out again. OK, I won't buy anything else until '06 (yeah, right).

I did check outpost.com for the Polks and they were out of stock. Understandable considering the price. Who knows - they might still have them at Fry's in Wilsonville.

webstalker

webstalker

Audiophyte
Nope they jacked up the price again on outpost. I only saw the deal on outpost for 1 day.

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
rjbudz said:
WOW! Another Oregonian. We're gonna be overrunning the place pretty soon.

Would anyone be able to offer me an opinion relevant to swapping these Polks for my JBL S312's? This is what they are, and sound pretty decent....
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=S312&CheckProduct=Y
They're a grand per pair but street price is much better. I'm looking for a bit more 'clarity' in my speakers (but I have a bright room with reflection issues). Room size is 22x27xvaulted ceiling. Or alternatively, would the Polks make for good bedroom speakers?

I would appreciate any input before the weekend sale. T'anx.
these speakers are awesome value, cheap only because Polk has a new generation of speakers- the RTs I believe. But I wud not mess up with ur system unless u went in for other JBLs. Its usually a good idea to have all ur speakers from the same brand!

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
webstalker said:
I have almost the exact setup waiting for these r50s.
outpost has them on sale for 59.99 each now.
waiting for them to get in store so I don't have to pay outragous shipping)

r30 fronts
r15's sides
cs1 center
psw10
onkyo ts-sr602

webstalker: do u have enough space for a 7.1?? Living in an apt., the r15s had to be removed for lack of space :( now i've got just a 5.1. I moved the R30s from front to back surrounds and put the r50s up in the front.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis