Polk PSW1000, Velodyne SPL-1000R/1200R

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
Anyone with experience with the new Polk PSW1000 subwoofer and/or the Velodyne SPL-1000R/SPL-1200R subwoofers? Please share your experiences if you have used these items.....thanks.

Is there a benefit to having dual 10" woofers, as with the PSW1000? Or, will one 12" always outdo a 10" even if its dual 10"?

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
Addendum to my own post -- I am willing to spend up to $1,000 on a sub if I feel comfortable it will be noticeably better performance. It will be mated to a Yam RX-V2500 receiver. Just not sure if I should be focusing on a single 12" woofer, dual 10", single 10", etc. and what to get for that kind of money. Prefer something available in Cherry, if possible.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
1K sub in cherry

In your price range, check out the SVS PB12-Plus and PB12-Ultra with the real wood cherry veneer. For about the same price, Axiom also makes the EP500 sub with a vinyl boston cherry finish. You can get real wood for an extra charge. If you email SVS they will recommend a speacific sub model for your room size.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have had experience with the Velodyne models, but not the Polk. I personally love those Velo's, but they don't reflect price/performance very well.

They sound very clean, even the 8inch. Also great for movies. They are one of the few subwoofers that can do both.

For $1000, you'd be better of with an SVS. I just don't think these Velodyne's are worth it. IMO.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
these spl velodyne's arent even near 1 grand.

actually the spl800r (8") is and the CHT15R (which trumps the double 10" the polk has got) BUT specs wise, the polk might go lower. you should find some INDEPENDENT tests done on the subs you are considering.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mike c said:
these spl velodyne's arent even near 1 grand.

actually the spl800r (8") is and the CHT15R (which trumps the double 10" the polk has got) BUT specs wise, the polk might go lower. you should find some INDEPENDENT tests done on the subs you are considering.
These are the SPL-R's

In canada, I have seen the 12R for over 2 grand...

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jaxvon said:
Don't forget that Axiom also offers high-gloss finishes that are much nicer looking than their standard finishes. It costs extra, but for you it may be worth the extra cost. Check it out:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/customshop.html
Why don't you make a subwoofer recommendation BEFORE a veneer. :p

Just pushing your buttons...

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep said:
These are the SPL-R's

In canada, I have seen the 12R for over 2 grand...

SheepStar
yup, but the poster said his budget was 600-1000. so he cant really consider the SPL series unless he wants an 8"er

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The Polk will probably sell for ~ $700 ID and $800 street. It's supposed to be very musical and tuned to ~ 30hz. At least the +/-3 is 30hz. Specs say FR is 20hz - up.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
As a Velodyne SPL-1000R owner, I have to agree with some of the guys here that you're not going to get one for less than a grand...(I paid about $1100 for mine in cherry veneer). As far as price/performance, that's sure a matter of opinion. I'm blown away by the performance of mine, but must admit that the size and looks of this sub is what initially attracted me. I auditioned quite a few subs before getting the Velo, and frankly could have been happy with several others in the same performance category.

G

GregBe

Audioholic
I spent a lot of time auditioning the Velo SPL-1200R before I purchased my Axiom EP500. Although the Axiom outperforms it for less money, I don't think it is fair to say that the Velo is not a good value.

Larger subs perform better than smaller ones, period. As you get into smaller subs, you need to pay quite a bit more for comparable performance. I think you need to compare apples to apples. When you compare the Velo SPL's to the Paradigm Seismic, or the Sunfire Signature, I think you will find it is a very good value. If size doesn't matter to you, there are better options than the best of the smaller subs.

Greg

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
GregBe said:
I spent a lot of time auditioning the Velo SPL-1200R before I purchased my Axiom EP500. Although the Axiom outperforms it for less money, I don't think it is fair to say that the Velo is not a good value.

Larger subs perform better than smaller ones, period. As you get into smaller subs, you need to pay quite a bit more for comparable performance. I think you need to compare apples to apples. When you compare the Velo SPL's to the Paradigm Seismic, or the Sunfire Signature, I think you will find it is a very good value. If size doesn't matter to you, there are better options than the best of the smaller subs.

Greg
When determining value, you have to compare it to everything. Considering what HSU and SVS bring to the table, it's hard to recommend a velo over one.

SheepStar

G

GregBe

Audioholic
Sheep said:
When determining value, you have to compare it to everything. Considering what HSU and SVS bring to the table, it's hard to recommend a velo over one.

SheepStar
I see your point, and I purchased the Axiom over the Velo based on that same thought process. If your criteria is strictly price and performance (which I would agree are by far the two most important pieces), I agree. I think that for some, size is very important. I know because I was there. Before I saw the light, I was willing to pay up to $2000 for a sub that I knew would be outperformed by subs at half its price. I valued a smaller size, as much as someone would value spl's, or sound quality or a furniture grade veneer finish. I wanted the best performance I could get at the best price, and I assigned value to it for me.

I feel as long as the buyer goes in with eyes wide open and knows there are sacrifices with a smaller design, at any price, there are value fiinds within that category.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis