Polk JBL or Klipsch

sleevedbiker

sleevedbiker

Audiophyte
I currently have the Polk T50's, T15's and T30. I am thinking of upgrading to JBL Arena 125c, 120, and 180's or the Klipsch R-24, R-25c. Which one of these would be better for movies? There's no one in my area that has these hooked up to listen to.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
JBL is solid, and the new Klipschs do not look bad, but I think these speakers are too much of a lateral move compared to your Polks, and not as much of an upward move as to be worth it. At the very least I would be considering some Fluance Signature towers or some RBH R55Ti towers. The RBH has a decent looking center channel companion in the R56Ci. If you have a good subwoofer or two, also consider the Hsu CCB-8 or Ascend CMT-340. If you don't have a decent subwoofer, get one of these or something better.

sleevedbiker

sleevedbiker

Audiophyte
The price on those are little higher than I am looking at spending. So you think I should just keep the Polk setup for now as there's not much of a difference...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The price on those are little higher than I am looking at spending. So you think I should just keep the Polk setup for now as there's not much of a difference...
Difference is subjective to the listener -- test the Arena towers, if you do not like them, then send them back.

However with JBL -- I would be looking at the Studio 230 as fronts
https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-studio-230-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair-black--322-614?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

And the Studio 235 as the center
https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-studio-235c-dual-6-1-2-2-way-center-channel-speaker-black--322-626?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

What is your budget?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think they will be better than the Polk, but I don't know that they are so much better that it is worth the bother. I think it is worth it to save up for something that is unquestionably better, not 'somewhat' better.

sleevedbiker

sleevedbiker

Audiophyte
I think they will be better than the Polk, but I don't know that they are so much better that it is worth the bother. I think it is worth it to save up for something that is unquestionably better, not 'somewhat' better.
Would you think the Polk S Series would be better to invest in?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can only guess, but I think they will give you a bit more refined sound, but not offer much more in terms of dynamic range. I don't think they would be that much better than Klipsch R series or JBL Arenas.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Might want to squirrel away for a couple months and do some more digging around until you find what you really want. As to the threads title, I would look at jbl studio(5xx) series before Polk or klipsch. Not a knock against them, just my preference.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I currently have the Polk T50's, T15's and T30. I am thinking of upgrading to JBL Arena 125c, 120, and 180's or the Klipsch R-24, R-25c. Which one of these would be better for movies? There's no one in my area that has these hooked up to listen to.
Out of those options I'd go klipsch if you want accuracy and the ability to handle the large dynamics of movies without distortion. I'm no fan boy, but I've been highly satisfied with their new series. They do everything well, both movies and music.

Polk makes decent speakers for the price, but I wouldn't use their t series outside of a second zone/garage speaker duty.

As someone who has heard both the klipsch and polks, I most definitely would not consider them be a lateral move, the t series is about a step above the cheap dayton speakers.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm in the camp of knowing something will be better instead of hoping it will be better. Hope is not a speaker upgrade strategy. I'm with you shadyj, saving up a few more shekels over whatever time it takes to insure your upgrade is truly an upgrade is my preferred path.

I'm driven by value, not by price. I forget the price pretty quickly, but I experience and remember the value in items I care about. Aim for great value and the odds you'll enjoy your stuff are greatly enhanced.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with the others as to saving up for significant upgrades rather than small/sideways moves, far more cost effective and satisfying in the long run IMO. Still curious about the sub as adding one could be more an improvement than changing speakers...

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
I think the older models are made better & less money...for my money...I am running a quality Sansui reciever 65WPC from 1979 or my Denon PMA 757 amp with my Polk Monitor 5s or 7s & that's all I need...excellent sound
JBL is solid, and the new Klipschs do not look bad, but I think these speakers are too much of a lateral move compared to your Polks, and not as much of an upward move as to be worth it. At the very least I would be considering some Fluance Signature towers or some RBH R55Ti towers. The RBH has a decent looking center channel companion in the R56Ci. If you have a good subwoofer or two, also consider the Hsu CCB-8 or Ascend CMT-340. If you don't have a decent subwoofer, get one of these or something better.
Vintage Polk monitors 5 or 7s or Klipsch / JBL

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think the older models are made better & less money...for my money...I am running a quality Sansui reciever 65WPC from 1979 or my Denon PMA 757 amp with my Polk Monitor 5s or 7s & that's all I need...excellent sound

Vintage Polk monitors 5 or 7s or Klipsch / JBL
This thread is 6 years old....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis