Polk CSi40 vs Polk Csi5

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I currently have Polk RTI12's and Polk RTI6's. The Csi5 is the "perfect" timbre match. How much moreso than my current Csi40? Anyone heard them both?

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
I recently swapped my RT2000i speakers for the RTi12. I had the CS400i center channel, which was the match for the RT2000i. I bought the CS5i because it matched the RT12i, but I didn't open it until I decided if I wanted to keep the 400i. The 400i blended very well and I never noticed any problems with that match. I did eventually decide to use the CS5i since I got it cheap and it had the adjustable tilt for proper placement (it's sometimes silly what matters to people). I know the 400i is a different speaker from the one you are talking about, but I think it is from the same vintage as the 400i, just a lower model. My assumption is that it would have similar sound characteristics as the 400i.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
so hifiman,......do you like the CSi5 better? The tweeter matches the RTI 12's so I read. And cosmetically, it matches too. I have no complaints about the CSi40, just thinking the CSi5 is a better match "supposedly". I might one, try it, and trade in my 40 ...

is the CSi5 more detailed? brighter?

jc

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
I certainly like the cosmetics of the CSi5 much better, but as for sound quality I honestly don't find a difference between the two. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, it's just that the difference was not noticeable to me. I also liked having the kickstand on the CSi5 to aim the speaker. I wished more companies did this.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Thanks hifiman...picking one up today to audition. Will compare the two side by side..take care

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
hifiman:

still trying different sources. i have 30 days money bac guarantee..LOL

SACD sounds very bright. Dire Straits Brothers In Arms is almost unbearable.

Eagles HFO was a definate improvement with the Csi5. Vocals aren't as "nasally".

My issue is the CSi5 is only about 7 feet from my listening position, and tyhe RTI 12's are about 8 feet and the RTi 6's are about 4 feet. I rthink that's why my system is so bright. These speakers should be in a room 5 times bigger.

will keep trying other sources and report back..

any tips on taming brightness? will putting the grills on help?

JC

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
I always leave the grills on my speakers so I don't know what differences there may be with them off. As for the effect distances might have I no idea if that would have any effect on the tweeter. Keep your receipt handy.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Johnny Canuck said:
My issue is the CSi5 is only about 7 feet from my listening position, and tyhe RTI 12's are about 8 feet and the RTi 6's are about 4 feet. I rthink that's why my system is so bright. These speakers should be in a room 5 times bigger.

will keep trying other sources and report back..

any tips on taming brightness? will putting the grills on help?
JC
JC,

You are on top of those speakers. No wonder they seem bright. Imagine if you have some horns that close. :eek:

Your CSi5 has a "jack stand" on the back, and is angled in the back if you want to "flip it over." Try to angle the sub a little above your listening position, and cantering the RTi12's just behind you. Don't aim the speakers at your head. That's overkill.

At that close distance, you'd be better off hearing the highest frequencies off a wall. Trust me, it's not the speakers. It's the distance. Your bass never has a chance to catch up to the thousands of cycles per second of the highs.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Thanks Buckeye....I will try flipping the centre speaker...as for your other suggestions, how should I aim the towers? Better yet, how do i aim the rears and sub as well?

Right now my HT is set up like this:

Room is only 10 feet wide and very long, going to the kitchen, like a rectangle. My couch unfortunately is set up against the back wall facing TV, which is now two feet from front front wall as it a CRT tube, so 8 feet from listening position. My towers are about 3 feet away from each the side of the TV facing me, about 8 feet away from couch .. I have toeed them in, but you say that I am on top of them and I totally agree!! Center is of course on top of the TV. Rears are on stands, about 4 feet high, facing directly at me on the sides of the couch, about 4-5 feet from listening position. Sub is between the right speaker and TV, about 6" from the wall, down firing HSU on a special styrofoam sub lift i recently bought....I am limited as there is a door on the left and right of the towers, no corner to put the sub in. Should I be facing the towers somewhere else buckeye? Or maybe turning down the speaker distance on the receiver?

I am also finding setting the crossover at 100 hz helps tame some brightness. In theory is this true?

JC

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Johnny Canuck: how should I aim the towers? Better yet, how do i aim the rears and sub as well?
Are the towers toed in directly at you, or behind you? They should be aimed behind you - even moreso if they're that bright.

The rears should be at ear level, aimed directly at you. If they are only 5' away from your head, you need to set the speaker distance at 5'. That should quiet them down a bit.

You can only put a sub where it fits, unfortunately. Having a nice unit as you do, that shouldn't be an issue, as long as you're getting the desired bass.

I'd recommend getting into your on screen display and dropping the higher frequencies on your internal graphic eq. I'd take down the three highest (2k; 4k; 8k) at least 2dB on the center and front speakers. Experiment from there.

I am also finding setting the crossover at 100 hz helps tame some brightness. In theory is this true?
Are you running your towers completely off your separate amp, or using the separate amp to drive the low end, and the receiver to drive the mids/tweeters? I'm not sure in theory why that would hold true, but those crossovers do some crazy things to the sound.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Thanks Buckeye

i have the denon 3805 on the highs, NAD amp on the lows..will try turning the speakers a little away from me...

I like the flipped over center speaker!! So does the wife as she can put pics and candles on top of it!! I am aiming it a little over my listeming position to tame the bass.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
JC,

Anytime. I've always liked your system, and felt sorry for you since your similar setup has the flexibility mine has. I've spent months tweaking my setup. Now my cable sound blows me (and the family) away. It's hard to believe the sound I get out of SDTV is what it is. The tennis tournament in HDTV was outstanding.

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:
Thanks Buckeye

i have the denon 3805 on the highs, NAD amp on the lows..will try turning the speakers a little away from me...
Maybe your problem is biamping the speakers. There's probably a mismatch in power,etc between the NAD and the Denon. Have you tried listening with everything run off the Denon?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
hifiman..the NAD is only on the lows. If I run the NAD on full range, not biamped, the speakers are even brighter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis