Polk Audio vs. Klipsch syndrome.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
To any and all who might know better, I am in the market for a pair of bookshelf speakers to go with my Onkyo TX-8270 2-channel receiver rated at 100 watts per channel. I am interested in the Polk RTI A3 and the Klipsch RP-160M or Klipsch RP-600M. There will not be any home theater use for these, strictly for music listening pleasure in a room approximately 15 x 15. The music that would be played would be R&B, funk, soul, rock, alternative, and alternative rock and some jazz at times. No classical. I understand both are leading brands but can someone out there please help to steer me in the right direction. I've heard both brands and still can't make up my mind. This is why I am asking for the help of other audiophiles out there.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would look at the Infinity Reference speakers sale or the sale on KEF Q series. Or JBL LSR308s. Or Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Also, I would like or hope to go with a 6 1/2 inch woofer.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
To any and all who might know better, I am in the market for a pair of bookshelf speakers to go with my Onkyo TX-8270 2-channel receiver rated at 100 watts per channel. I am interested in the Polk RTI A3 and the Klipsch RP-160M or Klipsch RP-600M. There will not be any home theater use for these, strictly for music listening pleasure in a room approximately 15 x 15. The music that would be played would be R&B, funk, soul, rock, alternative, and alternative rock and some jazz at times. No classical. I understand both are leading brands but can someone out there please help to steer me in the right direction. I've heard both brands and still can't make up my mind. This is why I am asking for the help of other audiophiles out there.
Personally I find both Klipsch and Polk too bright for Music. If they are to your taste then that’s good for you. I would look at Polk’s Signature series instead however. A better comparison to Klipsch’s RP series. I have heard both but I actually prefer the Signature series. Polk S20’s have a 6.5” woofer that fit your needs.

However, if your needs are 100% music, I would like to steer you towards Ascend Acoustics, Emotiva, Chane, Wharfedale, or Philharmonic Audio. Philharmonic Audio and Ascend would be my top choices, AA+ Monitors and CBM170’s respectively. Very neutral speakers, perfect for music.

AA+ Monitors are probably the best 2 channel music listening speakers for the money. $290 and they provide usable bass down to 34hz(I think if I remember correctly). Dennis Murphy did those speakers good.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
From your 2 options -- I would go with the Klipsch RP speakers

But my preference would be the Canton Chrono -- 7 Inch woofers, if you do not mind the White finish -- good price
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchrono5032whta/canton-chrono-503.2-7-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-white-pair/1.html#!reviews

The Philharmonic AA+ monitors are a real nice option

And JBL Studio 230
https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-studio-230-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair-black--322-614

The best deal was the Infinity R162 -- but they sold out fast

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Personally I find both Klipsch and Polk too bright for Music. If they are to your taste then that’s good for you. I would look at Polk’s Signature series instead however. A better comparison to Klipsch’s RP series. I have heard both but I actually prefer the Signature series. Polk S20’s have a 6.5” woofer that fit your needs.

However, if your needs are 100% music, I would like to steer you towards Ascend Acoustics, Emotiva, Chane, Wharfedale, or Philharmonic Audio. Philharmonic Audio and Ascend would be my top choices, AA+ Monitors and CBM170’s respectively. Very neutral speakers, perfect for music.

AA+ Monitors are probably the best 2 channel music listening speakers for the money. $290 and they provide usable bass down to 34hz(I think if I remember correctly). Dennis Murphy did those speakers good.

I've heard about the new Polk signature series. Heard they were the bomb diggity.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic

But my preference would be the Canton Chrono -- 7 Inch woofers, if you do not mind the White finish -- good price
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchrono5032whta/canton-chrono-503.2-7-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-white-pair/1.html#!reviews

And JBL Studio 230
https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-studio-230-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair-black--322-614

I wonder why the rti A3 got so many positive reviews???

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Also, I would like or hope to go with a 6 1/2 inch woofer.
Do you intend to run with a subwoofer? If so you are probably better served with a 5.5" woofer or less.

The typical 6.5" woofer starts becoming directional above 1500Hz, and very few tweeters cross over this low. Most in your price range generally cross over between 2-3KHz. This leads to people doing all kinds of placement jiggery (i.e. "toe-in") to get good imaging due to the dispersion mismatch between the woofer and the tweeter. An easier solution is to just get a speaker with a smaller woofer.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Do you intend to run with a subwoofer? If so you are probably better served with a 5.5" woofer or less.

The typical 6.5" woofer starts becoming directional above 1500Hz, and very few tweeters cross over this low. Most in your price range generally cross over between 2-3KHz. This leads to people doing all kinds of placement jiggery (i.e. "toe-in") to get good imaging due to the dispersion mismatch between the woofer and the tweeter. An easier solution is to just get a speaker with a smaller woofer.
Not at this time. Wanted to concentrate on the bookshelves first.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic

Does the music genre have any effect on the choice?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Does the music genre have any effect on the choice?
Depends. Rap, RnB, Hip-Hop, will all have more bass usage and needs. Jazz and Classical will be more tailored to refined high frequencies.

The best of both worlds? Philharmonic AA+ Monitors and CBM170’s by Ascend.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Depends. Rap, RnB, Hip-Hop, will all have more bass usage and needs. Jazz and Classical will be more tailored to refined high frequencies.

The best of both worlds? Philharmonic AA+ Monitors and CBM170’s by Ascend.
I also love my alternative like Nirvana, rock- Aerosmith and such. Also, was planning on buying from Crutchfield to avoid sales tax unless you can recommend a better choice of dealer for me where I'm from, Brooklyn, N.Y. with access to New York City.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic

And JBL Studio 230

Do you think I would get a better overall sound quality from the Klipsch than the
Polk? Some people refer to the sound of the Klipsch as "garsh" and claim to get tired of it. Is this true?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I also love my alternative like Nirvana, rock- Aerosmith and such. Also, was planning on buying from Crutchfield to avoid sales tax unless you can recommend a better choice of dealer for me where I'm from, Brooklyn, N.Y. with access to New York City.
Both of those companies are ID (Internet Direct) and can only be bought through their website. Sorry. They cut down their prices this way to benefit the consumer by avoiding retail markup. Even with sales tax they are very cheaply priced for the performance they provide.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Do you think I would get a better overall sound quality from the Klipsch than the
Polk? Some people refer to the sound of the Klipsch as "garsh" and claim to get tired of it. Is this true?
Harsh. But yes. I have a pair of Klipsch and they are very fatiguing. Not good for music. Especially if you like to listen for extended periods of time. Brightness is usually associated with treble heavy speakers which is where the harshness comes out. Warmth is associated with Bass. Neutral is the in between. The perfect temperature oatmeal. But audio is subjective so some people like their oatmeal cold or piping hot. Up to you to decide where you fall on the brightness/warmth scale.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Harsh. But yes. I have a pair of Klipsch and they are very fatiguing. Not good for music. Especially if you like to listen for extended periods of time. Brightness is usually associated with treble heavy speakers which is where the harshness comes out. Warmth is associated with Bass. Neutral is the in between. The perfect temperature oatmeal. But audio is subjective so some people like their oatmeal cold or piping hot. Up to you to decide where you fall on the brightness/warmth scale.
I'm actually looking for a balanced spectrum. Not an overbearing bass to destroy the highs but enough to let me know it's thrre and where I can hear the highs with clarity where it doesn't sound distorted and vocals are as clear as I can possibly hear them.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I'm actually looking for a balanced spectrum. Not an overbearing bass to destroy the highs but enough to let me know it's thrre and where I can hear the highs with clarity where it doesn't sound distorted and vocals are as clear as I can possibly hear them.
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for AA+ Monitors or CBM170’s. Flattest frequency response for the price out there. Bass will be pronounced but not overbearing and highs will be crystal clear but no where close to harsh.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for AA+ Monitors or CBM170’s. Flattest frequency response for the price out there. Bass will be pronounced but not overbearing and highs will be crystal clear but no where close to harsh.
Who makes these again? Also, where are they made?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Who makes these again? Also, where are they made?
Philharmonic Audio for the AA+ Monitors.

Ascend Acoustics for the CBM170s.

Both are American made. East Coast for Philharmonic Audio and West Coast for Ascend Acoustics. Both are very well respected companies and you can actually talk with the person who makes them for both companies. Dennis at Philharmonic Audio and Dave at Ascend Acoustics are both amazing engineers and fantastic people to talk with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis