Polk Audio TSI100: What's Your Opinion?

R

rekced

Audioholic
I bought a pair of these speakers from Circuit City for $199.99 a couple weeks ago. I went from a horrible bookshelf speaker set and the Polks sound much, much better. However, there are a few things I don't like about them. Maybe it's just the glossy finish on the top that I don't like. When I was buying these I also considered the Polk Audio RTi A1 for $339.99. Everything about those speakers sounded a little better than the TSI100. I am just using these speakers for listening to iTunes from about 3' away on my desk. I am still thinking about returning the TSI 100 for the RTI A1.

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
I bought a pair of these speakers from Circuit City for $199.99 a couple weeks ago. I went from a horrible bookshelf speaker set and the Polks sound much, much better. However, there are a few things I don't like about them. Maybe it's just the glossy finish on the top that I don't like. When I was buying these I also considered the Polk Audio RTi A1 for $339.99. Everything about those speakers sounded a little better than the TSI100. I am just using these speakers for listening to iTunes from about 3' away on my desk. I am still thinking about returning the TSI 100 for the RTI A1.
For just listening to music on iTunes your honestly just fine using the TSi's. I take it your not really doing critical 2-channel listening lol.

You could always find something used, have you considered that? for $300 there are some incredile used bookshelves out there. Check out Audiogon.

But what are you using to power them?

R

rekced

Audioholic
For just listening to music on iTunes your honestly just fine using the TSi's. I take it your not really doing critical 2-channel listening lol.

You could always find something used, have you considered that? for $300 there are some incredile used bookshelves out there. Check out Audiogon.

But what are you using to power them?
I'm using a Teac CR-H220 to power them. The back of the unit says 75watts (I'm assuming that's max per channel?)

The reason I didn't go used is because I like to be able to hear something in person before I buy it. The used shops in my area have nice stuff, but they are extremely over priced.

I'm not sure what you mean by critical two channel listening. I have some experience recording with protools and a set of KRKs, but this is mostly for kicking back and listening. I accept iTunes for what it is. However, my entire library is encoded at 320kbs CBR. I can't tell the difference between 320kbs CBR MP3, FLAC or WAV, let alone the original CD. Ryan Adams' later albums are usually what I use to gauge sound quality.

Last edited:
bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
I'm using a Teac CR-H220 to power them. The back of the unit says 75watts (I'm assuming that's max per channel?)

The reason I didn't go used is because I like to be able to hear something in person before I buy it. The used shops in my area have nice stuff, but they are extremely over priced.

I'm not sure what you mean by critical two channel listening. I have some experience recording with protools and a set of KRKs, but this is mostly for kicking back and listening. I accept iTunes for what it is. However, my entire library is encoded at 320kbs CBR. I can't tell the difference between 320kbs CBR MP3, FLAC or WAV, let alone the original CD. Ryan Adams' later albums are usually what I use to gauge sound quality.
Got ya. Well as long as you like the sound than thats all that matters. If other polks sound better to you and are worth the extra cash, then get them. If its minimal to you then i wouldnt worry about it, but thats fro you to decide. :)

R

rekced

Audioholic
Got ya. Well as long as you like the sound than thats all that matters. If other polks sound better to you and are worth the extra cash, then get them. If its minimal to you then i wouldnt worry about it, but thats fro you to decide. :)
I'm just curious, why do all audiophiles seem to hate iTunes? I love music but I am definitely not an expert of of sound quality. What is it about iTunes that rubs people the wrong way? No Flac support on the iPod sucks, but they'll come around. My buddy has a 1TB drive and encoded his entire collection in .WAV. It even works well on his iPod. I think there might be something I'm missing that makes people shun iTunes.

R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern
I'm just curious, why do all audiophiles seem to hate iTunes? I love music but I am definitely not an expert of of sound quality. What is it about iTunes that rubs people the wrong way? No Flac support on the iPod sucks, but they'll come around. My buddy has a 1TB drive and encoded his entire collection in .WAV. It even works well on his iPod. I think there might be something I'm missing that makes people shun iTunes.
The main problem with itunes is that 99% of the people of have it and use it have their music at 128 kbps. Beyond that it's fine IMO.

R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern

Those Polks are a fine speaker for roughly $150 a pair.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
The main problem with itunes is that 99% of the people of have it and use it have their music at 128 kbps. Beyond that it's fine IMO.
I'm new to itunes and I want my tunes to sound their best. I do all of my listening on my home theater gear but maybe some time I'll use my laptop for more music listening in the future (actually, I doubt it but never say never) possibly headphone use. So what should my music settings be?

R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern
I'm new to itunes and I want my tunes to sound their best. I do all of my listening on my home theater gear but maybe some time I'll use my laptop for more music listening in the future (actually, I doubt it but never say never) possibly headphone use. So what should my music settings be?
Apple lossless.
320 kbps isn't bad 2nd choice.

Lots of people have opinions on this, this is mine :)

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
I actually own these speakers and am listening to them at this very moment. I enjoy them quite a bit as my computer speakers. They are a touch heavy on the bass end, but that is part of why I like them for my computer. Mostly video games and uncompressed rips here, and am very satisfied.

Mike

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic

i dont hate itunes ;) Heck i bought an appleTV so i could play all my files in apple lossless on my system.

People hate itunes because its so incredible proprietary. But IMO i love the way itunes works and how its setup, its very easy. :)

R

rekced

Audioholic
I actually own these speakers and am listening to them at this very moment. I enjoy them quite a bit as my computer speakers. They are a touch heavy on the bass end, but that is part of why I like them for my computer. Mostly video games and uncompressed rips here, and am very satisfied.

Mike

I noticed the same thing. I ended up doing some minor EQ adjustments in iTunes to compensate.

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
Where do you do that? I didn't even notice....

Mark
Once your in itunes, just go to the very top left and click on "view". Half way down on the drop-down menu it should say "show equalizer". :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis