Polk Audio PSW110 - worth repairing?

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
Good morning,

Forgive me if this sounds like a newbie question - I have two Polk PSW110 subs that were working fine, but one of them started making all kinds of electrical racket after shutting down my system last night. Is it worth fixing at this point, or should I just upgrade both subs?

Thanks in advance!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
depends on your budget and expectation. In general, you could get much much better subs than PSW110.
Dayton SUB1200 is one for example

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
depends on your budget and expectation. In general, you could get much much better subs than PSW110.
Dayton SUB1200 is one for example
That's what I was thinking. I've got them running to a Y-adapter on the back of my receiver and to be honest wasn't impressed with the bass. I had to put them to nearly full blast to get much of a response.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
subs must be matched for room volume. Larger rooms require more powerful subs to move the air volume needed to provide the bass effects.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Good morning,

Forgive me if this sounds like a newbie question - I have two Polk PSW110 subs that were working fine, but one of them started making all kinds of electrical racket after shutting down my system last night. Is it worth fixing at this point, or should I just upgrade both subs?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what electrical racket means? If it's sparks I would dump it. :D

If the surround on the speaker has separated you can fix that for about $15 to $20 with a surround replacement kit and some contact cement. If you still enjoy the speaker it's an easy option.

My VMPS Tallboy sub surround separated and it made lots of noise on really low tones. Once I replaced the surround it sounded new again! Very worthwhile for me.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
That's what I was thinking. I've got them running to a Y-adapter on the back of my receiver and to be honest wasn't impressed with the bass. I had to put them to nearly full blast to get much of a response.
I see an HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub in your future.

111.gif

:p

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I see an HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub in your future.

View attachment 42002
:p
You're only seeing a HALF of the picture ;)

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
Not sure what electrical racket means? If it's sparks I would dump it. :D

If the surround on the speaker has separated you can fix that for about $15 to $20 with a surround replacement kit and some contact cement. If you still enjoy the speaker it's an easy option.

My VMPS Tallboy sub surround separated and it made lots of noise on really low tones. Once I replaced the surround it sounded new again! Very worthwhile for me.
It sounded like it was turning off and on over and over again. From what research I've done it seems to be a common issue on that model.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
What's a Condo got to do with it? You control the output.
Well my Infinity Primus 363 towers do produce plenty of base for me in my smallish living room. But yeah I could add one if I wanted to.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If I had my system in a condo the neighbors would kill me. It's in my basement and still shakes the upstairs real good with 4K movie disks and multiple HSU subs. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't even imagine my audio habits with living in a condo or apartment building! (or townhouse)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good morning,

Thanks in advance!
Junk when you bought it, junk after you fix it.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

HSU VTF-3MK5 would be an amazing upgrade. Some companies charge $200 for the satin finish included with the HSU. The sound is awesome and the value is even better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis