Polk 10A monitors! I am new. helpp!

McGarvey

McGarvey

Audiophyte
Hello, fellow audio crazies. I am new to this whole vintage speaker thing as I just discovered the speakers my brother gave me about 8-10 years back are Polk Audio 10a's which seem to be in decent condition. They have been in the attic for many years... I don't know where to start. I have a Onkyo HT-R330 AV Receiver and a USB audio interface connected to my Pc for my studio monitor speakers. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to mess anything up and Im unsure if this receiver is even something that should be powering these polks or not. I am not a complete noob , but l am a bit GREEN when it comes to speaker specs and crossovers..well I suppose Vintage is all new to me . o_O;)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi McGarvey,

Welcome to the forum. These are the Specifications for the Polk Audio 10a speakers:

Specs:
Driver Complement--
Tweeter
Quantity 1
Diameter 1" (2.54cm)
Type Polk SL1000
Midrange
Quantity 2
Diameter 6 1/2" (16.51cm)
Subwoofer
Quantity 1
Diameter 10" (25.40cm)
Type sub bass radiator

Total Frequency Response 25Hz - 25kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 25 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 37 Hz

Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

Efficiency 89 dB

Recommended Amplifier Power 20-250 watts per channel

Cabinet Dimensions
Height 28" (71.12cm)
Width 15" (38.10cm)
Depth 12" (30.48cm)

You can get data on the reciever here Onkyo HT-R330 Receiver

It looks like it was originally supplied as part of a Home Theater Package. It's got decent power => 100 watts per channel min. RMS at 8 Ω, 2 channels driven from 1 kHz with no more than 0.9% total harmonic distortion. So it should handle those Polks no problem => just make certain the cables are connected correctly (Red to Red / Black to Black) to keep the speakers "in Phase" or your bass response will suffer. Make certain the volume is turned down to minimum before turning on the receiver.

As for input sources, you describe a USB audio interface in use now on another system. Please advise model number and what you use it for. Most Motherboards in desktop PCs (not all Laptops) usually have (and all recent separate Audio Cards have) Line Out sound outputs, and /or coaxial or optical outputs. The HT-R330 can take any or all of these. Are you planning to connect a DVD or BluRay Player? Please describe what you'd like the system to do and the folks here will give you as much help as you need.

That being said, just make sure you have fun with this system, but don't crank it up too loud as those vintage speakers may complain, and you can damage your ears for life with sustained loud music. ;)

Last edited:
McGarvey

McGarvey

Audiophyte
Jim ,
Thank you kindly for your prompt response. I must say that I am genuinely impressed and quite frankly blown away by the courtesy and kindness I have been shown on certain forums and what not. Not to mention the information you gather and have shared. It most definitely is noticed and greatly appreciated. Being a younger fella (28) Im so used to the attitude of this millennial generation that it sadly comes as somewhat of a shock to me, but is welcomed and refreshing. You have provided me with All the info that I need Sir. Thank you again, so much for your time. Have a blessed day and keep it up. Simple kind gestures brighten the world and give people hope.

oh, i forgot to mention... Got my Polks up and running and they sound GREAT! Im Rockin the entire neighborhood darn near! Loving Them. well worth the 0$ I paid for them. ; )

My Best Regards

Michael :cool::D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only thing I'd really worry about with old speakers are those with foam surrounds (the foam at the outer edge of the speaker's drivers that connect the speaker cone to the speaker's frame),as they can rot over time. If the surrounds are in good shape, and they sound good then I wouldn't worry. If the surrounds are bad/going out there are surround kits you can install if you feel handy (or hire a pro if you have one in your area). Otherwise like Jim said, nothing wrong with the gear you want to use with them...I have one of your avr's big brothers, the HTRC370 and the only problem with my model was it was subject to the problem Onkyo had with some bad hdmi/network boards that needed replacement (and this is the last year of the extended warranty, not sure if your avr falls into the date range of those affected or not, did you ever have issues with it?). Info about that program should still be available via Onkyo's site.

ps Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
McGarvey

McGarvey

Audiophyte
ok, Great. I am pretty certain my little brother onkyo doesn't even know what HDMI is. hahaha As for the surrounds of the two 6.5" drivers on one of my Polks...I've noticed tiny little cuts in both of the drivers (on one speaker only) which kinda sucks but hey...they are not foam and the sound quality doesn't seem to be hurting from it. not that I can tell anyways, but will have to get that fixed eventually... kindof a bummer but cannot complain!

Thanks for Making Me feel right at home! :cool:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I owned a pair of monitor 7As back in the 80s and they were very musical. The 7as were a step below what you now have and were very well regarded back in the day. Enjoy!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ok, Great. I am pretty certain my little brother onkyo doesn't even know what HDMI is. hahaha As for the surrounds of the two 6.5" drivers on one of my Polks...I've noticed tiny little cuts in both of the drivers (on one speaker only) which kinda sucks but hey...they are not foam and the sound quality doesn't seem to be hurting from it. not that I can tell anyways, but will have to get that fixed eventually... kindof a bummer but cannot complain!

Thanks for Making Me feel right at home! :cool:
Well, the HT-RC330 does have hdmi, which is more what I was thinking of. The cuts are in the surrounds or on the cones?

McGarvey

McGarvey

Audiophyte
Well, the HT-RC330 does have hdmi, which is more what I was thinking of. The cuts are in the surrounds or on the cones?
Oh , I see...I Realized I have The Ht-R330 (No "C") ; P and the cuts are in the surrounds which seem to be a thin rubber type of material. They are fairly small as I couldn't even notice they were there until I did a detailed inspection with my head about a foot away. haha

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah that C threw me off at first, too. Do these cuts go all the way thru? Like something a cat would do?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Jim ,
Thank you kindly for your prompt response. I must say that I am genuinely impressed and quite frankly blown away by the courtesy and kindness I have been shown on certain forums and what not. Not to mention the information you gather and have shared. It most definitely is noticed and greatly appreciated. Being a younger fella (28) Im so used to the attitude of this millennial generation that it sadly comes as somewhat of a shock to me, but is welcomed and refreshing. You have provided me with All the info that I need Sir. Thank you again, so much for your time. Have a blessed day and keep it up. Simple kind gestures brighten the world and give people hope.

oh, i forgot to mention... Got my Polks up and running and they sound GREAT! Im Rockin the entire neighborhood darn near! Loving Them. well worth the 0$ I paid for them. ; )

My Best Regards

Michael :cool::D
Thank-you for the kind words. Folks here are genuinely interested in helping others out.

Perhaps someday, you can do likewise when someone reaches out to you.

In the meantime, learn all you can => but don't forget to have some Fun!

McGarvey

McGarvey

Audiophyte
Yeah that C threw me off at first, too. Do these cuts go all the way thru? Like something a cat would do?
yes very possibly a cat could have done it. i took pictures but they were to big for servers. they are barely visible in the picture anyways. very small in the outside rubbery material

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yes very possibly a cat could have done it. i took pictures but they were to big for servers. they are barely visible in the picture anyways. very small in the outside rubbery material
Either use an external photo hosting site or reduce the size of your photos...I usually go 25-35% of original.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis