Plex subtitles/forced

• Thread starter Zildjianmeister
  • Start date
Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

Hoping the fellow plex users may have an easy answer to this. Not sure if something changed or I just noticed it. Some movies that have the foreign speaking parts (Patton, Hunt for Red October, some Star Wars movies, etc) I have to select the correct subtitle option to display only those parts. Usually the other subtitle option is for the entire movie. I thought they were burned in subtitles and didn't require manual intervention but apparently not. .

I'm guessing the NAS drive is doing heavy transcoding as whenever I select a subtitle option the movie buffers. Only with subtitles. They are .mkv format blu rays. However a family member has remote access to the server and connects via wifi. We both use Roku Ultras as the client. When he turns the subtitle option on he has no issues at all. Could it be because he has a new tv and I'm using an old plasma? Even though I use the roku wirelessly I would have thought he would have issues since he's connecting remotely as well as wireless. Otherwise all movies work great.

Thanks!
Z

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
For forced subtitles to be burned in there is an option that must be checked in the conversion software. If that option is not checked it will not burn in those sections.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Each movie is different. Some have the subtitles burned into the video, some have a subtitle file with a forced flag. Either will only have the "foreign" language subtitles and the rest will not have subtitles.

When I rip my movies, I always remove any subtitle files that aren't english and forced. That way, if I do have to turn them on, it's only one file to choose from. Much easier.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is a setting in the Roku itself, and perhaps the Plex app. I was having some subtitle issues, but then made a couple of changes in my Roku (maybe just the Plex app in the Roku?) and it solved the issue.

Worth looking at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/fykfww
Relevant:
Roku has a setting to enable closed captions, it must be enabled for subs to work. That is in Roku settings, not the Plex app settings.
and
It’s also in the Plex app settings menu in the Roku app but the setting is global for every app Roku uses.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Thank you all!
I found that I had to re-encode/convert the mkv files using handbrake in order to burn in those subtitles. Only the foreign speaking parts. I could manually select a subtitle option and they would play, however no matter what I did it always buffered on my side when playing back blu ray movies.

The burning in of the subtitles is what I wanted. Thanks again!
Z

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis