Plex NAS stream directly to AVR? Plex noob needs some help

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Hey all.

I am completely 100% new to the media server world and was hoping for a little help filling in the gaps in my understanding.

Right now, and just to test, I installed plex server on my PC and installed the plex app on my samsung TV, and I can stream my FLAC music library to my TV through the wifi connection in my house. Works like a charm. This is just to test and to get started, because A) I don't want my PC to have to be on, and B) I don't want to stream to the TV... I don't want to have to have my power hungry 82" TV powered on to stream music.

So my question is, If I install plex server on a NAS like a QNAP or Synology and move all my audio files onto that NAS, is it possible to stream my plex library directly to my AVR so I can bypass my TV? (I have an older 7.1 AVR now that doesn't have wifi, but will be buying something soon to replace it)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey all.

I am completely 100% new to the media server world and was hoping for a little help filling in the gaps in my understanding.

Right now, and just to test, I installed plex server on my PC and installed the plex app on my samsung TV, and I can stream my FLAC music library to my TV through the wifi connection in my house. Works like a charm. This is just to test and to get started, because A) I don't want my PC to have to be on, and B) I don't want to stream to the TV... I don't want to have to have my power hungry 82" TV powered on to stream music.

So my question is, If I install plex server on a NAS like a QNAP or Synology and move all my audio files onto that NAS, is it possible to stream my plex library directly to my AVR so I can bypass my TV? (I have an older 7.1 AVR now that doesn't have wifi, but will be buying something soon to replace it)
Plex has a built in DLNA server so you can stream directly to your AVR if you want to. Should be pretty simple and will have a section in your AVR manual.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Hey all.

Since your receiver is fairly ancient (no ethernet, wifi, bluetooth etc), you could get something like a Dayton WBA31 streamer for 50 bucks. It should stream all the files from your NAS and you will run the optical out from this streamer into one of your receiver's optical inputs. You can also choose to use the analog output/input. It will let you bypass your tv and also let you stream tidal, spotify, give you bluetooth access, etc. This li'l Dayton is actually a very nice li'l thing for 50 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-WBA31-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B07KRPVSDV

EDIT: It was on sale for 30 bucks. But, you missed it. It is 50 bucks now.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey all.

Does the AVR have an ethernet port? If so, use that and don't rely on WiFi for streaming from a NAS. WiFi can work, but wired is better and doesn't tax the WiFi network.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the easiest solution here would be to get a either a Google Chromecast or Apple TV box and using a mobile device (phone or tablet) to stream the content to it. This way you won't need your TV to stay on, instead the mobile device will be your remote control.

(both IOS and Android equaly supported)

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I think the easiest solution here would be to get a either a Google Chromecast or Apple TV box and using a mobile device (phone or tablet) to stream the content to it. This way you won't need your TV to stay on, instead the mobile device will be your remote control.

(both IOS and Android equaly supported)
Thumbs down on the Dayton??!! The Dayton sold for 30 bucks (price of 2 Rum+Coke Doubles) Can you explain why a Dayton WBA31 is not a fairly good alternative to Chromecast Audio (which is discontinued now). FYI, i have both. Have you tried the Dayton?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thumbs down on the Dayton??!! The Dayton sold for 30 bucks (price of 2 Rum+Coke Doubles) Can you explain why a Dayton WBA31 is not a fairly good alternative to Chromecast Audio (which is discontinued now). FYI, i have both. Have you tried the Dayton?
Yes, I put to disagree with the BT adapter idea since it's a very limited solution. A) BT is Lossy b) BT is range limited c) only one device at a time can be paired d) BT pairing is sometimes pita
I could go on. Chromecast with Wi-Fi streaming is a much better solution.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Yes, I put to disagree with the BT adapter idea since it's a very limited solution. A) BT is Lossy b) BT is range limited c) only one device at a time can be paired d) BT pairing is sometimes pita
I could go on. Chromecast with Wi-Fi streaming is a much better solution.
The Dayton is a regular streamer with wifi just like the Chromecast (it is a surprisingly good transport). BT is included as a last ditch effort (we all agree BT sucks).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't much info if this Dayton device would support streaming from Plex client

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the kick-start, fellas. I much appreciate it. I will certainly end up with a new AVR in the coming months (as soon as they are once again in stock). I am hoping to pick up a yamaha 3080. would I be able to stream directly to a 3080 over wifi?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the kick-start, fellas. I much appreciate it. I will certainly end up with a new AVR in the coming months (as soon as they are once again in stock). I am hoping to pick up a yamaha 3080. would I be able to stream directly to a 3080 over wifi?
You can do all things imaginable on the A3080 in flying colors. Good choice.
( i was just throwing out a very cheap solution earlier to bring your ancient receiver into the streaming age).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis