Plex has completely blown me away!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll let you know when I'm ready bro
I had help my first time out too, and it was invaluable. When you're ready we'll share some contact info for a chat or something too. It helps a ton to be able to quickly reply back and forth as opposed to waiting for replies on the forums or a pm.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Kodi has better interface/skins and probably more HTPC features like the ability to manually download subtitles from a variety of sources other than OpenSubtitles.

So I will definitely still use Kodi as a backup.

Now if Kodi can master the 4K-HDR universe in the future, chances are I will be going back to Kodi as my #1.

But for now, PLEX is my #1 media player just because of the great 4K/HDR playback.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I got my Plex working with my Synology NAS unit eventually. It took some learning and some problem solving. Plex is a pretty amazing product given what it doesn't cost. I am pretty happy with the results. But then again, I'm pretty danged happy with all my audio stuff.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just updated Kodi to v18.5. The 4K HDR playback (conversion/tone mapping, not HDR-pass through) has improved significantly over v18.4. But still not as good as PLEX.

However, if Kodi does eventually match Plex on the HDR tone-mapping and one day even HDR-pass through (stable version that works for everyone), I will go back to Kodi since I still prefer Kodi for interfaces (better skins), layouts, and features (manual Subtitle download, custom zoom).

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
PLEX isn’t doing anything tonemapping. It’s just passing through the HDR metadata from the original files. It’s odd that Kodi can’t do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
PLEX isn’t doing anything tonemapping. It’s just passing through the HDR metadata from the original files. It’s odd that Kodi can’t do that.

I don’t think so.

Here is Blue Planet II 4K HDR.

This one is from the Sony X700. When I push the “Info” button on the Projector, it says “HDR10”.

This one is from Plex. You can see that the Resolution is also 4K, but no “HDR” even though the file is HDR.

Can you push the Info button or equivalent to see what the Projector or TV is actually showing?

Last edited:
thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
I don’t think so.

Here is Blue Planet II 4K HDR.

This one is from the Sony X700. When I push the “Info” button on the Projector, it says “HDR10”.

This one is from Plex. You can see that the Resolution is also 4K, but no “HDR” even though the file is HDR.

Can you push the Info button or equivalent to see what the Projector or TV is actually showing?
I think that’s more likely the device you have PLEX running on vs PLEX itself. Note your frame rate is also different.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that’s more likely the device you have PLEX running on vs PLEX itself. Note your frame rate is also different.

My device is Windows 10 64bit Desktop. So I guess Plex can’t pass through HDR for Desktop.

Which device are you using with Plex?

Last edited:
thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
I’m running the PLEX Client on both Shield and AppleTV, but mostly on the Shield.

When I play via PLEX I have it set to pass through everything, and my JVC info screens look like yours when coming from disc.

I’m in the process of adding an HD Fury Vertex to read that metadata and automatically select a predefined User preset on the JVC based on the metadata from the source.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m running the PLEX Client on both Shield and AppleTV, but mostly on the Shield.

When I play via PLEX I have it set to pass through everything, and my JVC info screens look like yours when coming from disc.

I’m in the process of adding an HD Fury Vertex to read that metadata and automatically select a predefined User preset on the JVC based on the metadata from the source.

I’ve never used Nvidia Shield. Looks like I’ll have to look into that for 4K HDR Passthrough since apparently the Windows Desktop Plex version cannot pass-through HDR.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
I don’t like the Shield, frankly, but it is the best performer as a PLEX client, since the AppleTV hobbles the audio capability.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t like the Shield, frankly, but it is the best performer as a PLEX client, since the AppleTV hobbles the audio capability.

Yeah. Maybe I’ll just wait for Plex/Kodi (besides DSPlayer) to implement HDR Pass-through. It seems HDR Pass-through is a lot more difficult than I thought.

I guess it’s very easy to implement Audio Pass-through, but HDR pass-through is very difficult.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Don’t get me wrong, the Shield is a tremendous value and works well, has all the features I want, I just prefer the AppleTV interface, and wish I could keep all my apps on a single device.

As it stands, I use the Shield for PLEX, the AppleTV for everything else, and I have an old Sony UHD player just in case.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah. Maybe I’ll just wait for Plex/Kodi (besides DSPlayer) to implement HDR Pass-through. It seems HDR Pass-through is a lot more difficult than I thought.

I guess it’s very easy to implement Audio Pass-through, but HDR pass-through is very difficult.
It's difficult because of the way windows handles HDR. I have three shields including one in my theater. I'd never use an htpc if tone mapping from HDR to sdr worked on the shield. Once I get an HDR capable projector, the shield will be my only source. I'd get one if I were you simply because you can run Plex and Kodi if you wanted. Both pass through HDR and all audio codecs without issue. Pretty much the only device that can.

The Android TV interface isn't great, but you can't beat the functionality. Plex and Kodi both run very well. I think you'd like it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Plex is adding more functionality. Might become a streaming service aggregator.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/01/08/plex-streaming-channels-rentals-purchases-deep-links/
CRAP! Of course they are. Instead of fixing the core features which people have been asking for and ensuring top tier quality on the platforms that use the product already, they are going to expand into services which are already fully covered by everyone else on the f'n planet.

I got Plex to stream my content off my hard drives. It would be nice if my Roku performed 100% up to the potential that it can deliver with Plex. How about Plex starts with THAT as a goal?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
CRAP! Of course they are. Instead of fixing the core features which people have been asking for and ensuring top tier quality on the platforms that use the product already, they are going to expand into services which are already fully covered by everyone else on the f'n planet.

I got Plex to stream my content off my hard drives. It would be nice if my Roku performed 100% up to the potential that it can deliver with Plex. How about Plex starts with THAT as a goal?
yeah, it's capabilities vary per client, but a lot of that is the fault of the client. my fireTV was great except it wouldn't pass through hd audio. Neither will the xbox one or ps4. Shield is the only one that can except for pc IIRC.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
yeah, it's capabilities vary per client, but a lot of that is the fault of the client. my fireTV was great except it wouldn't pass through hd audio. Neither will the xbox one or ps4. Shield is the only one that can except for pc IIRC.
AppleTV will pass lossless audio if you use the Infuse app to access your PLEX library, but it can’t pass Atmos/DTSX metadata. It converts the audio to LPCM. Valid solution if you don’t have an immersive system setup. Not great if you do.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's difficult because of the way windows handles HDR. I have three shields including one in my theater. I'd never use an htpc if tone mapping from HDR to sdr worked on the shield. Once I get an HDR capable projector, the shield will be my only source. I'd get one if I were you simply because you can run Plex and Kodi if you wanted. Both pass through HDR and all audio codecs without issue. Pretty much the only device that can.

The Android TV interface isn't great, but you can't beat the functionality. Plex and Kodi both run very well. I think you'd like it.
Dang. Why the heck didn’t I listen to you guys sooner? Jeez. :eek:

So looks like I’ll have to give Shields a try.

What are you using as Remote Control for the Shield TV?

Can you use a USB Wireless keyboard?

Last edited:
B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Dang. Why the heck didn’t I listen to you guys sooner? Jeez. :eek:

So looks like I’ll have to give Shields a try.

What are you using as Remote Control for the Shield TV?

Can you use a USB Wireless keyboard?
Assuming you mean IR, I use flirc. I also have a Harmony hub that works wonderfully with the shield.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis