Plex has completely blown me away!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lots of positive feedback here for Plex!
What about for audio only use?
I’ve been so excited about the 4K/HDR/Atmos/DTSX video playback on PLEX that I haven’t even gotten to the music part. Will have to try it out.

Here is another bad fact against Kodi vs Plex.

My HTPC is pretty high-end (as you can see from my signature). Yet Kodi has problems playing back even some 4K SDR files, not even HDR!

But PLEX plays all these same files beautifully like it‘s nothing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, in case we haven't stress this already: PLEX can also FREE like Kodi.

You don't have to subscribe and pay any money if all you need is a desktop HTPC media player.

FREE FREE FREE. :D

As cheap as I am about some things, there is no way I'm paying any money if I don't have to. :D

So the next question is, who's subscribing/playing for premium PLEX services and WHY?

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Oh, in case we haven't stress this already: PLEX can also FREE like Kodi.

You don't have to subscribe and pay any money if all you need is a desktop HTPC media player.

FREE FREE FREE. :D

As cheap as I am about some things, there is no way I'm paying any money if I don't have to. :D

So the next question is, who's subscribing/playing for premium PLEX services and WHY?
I bought the lifetime subscription to help support future development, and because I wanted the Live TV and DVR functionalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bought the lifetime subscription to help support future development, and because I wanted the Live TV and DVR functionalities.

Oh, I didn't know there was such a thing as a "lifetime subscription". Have to look into that.

More things to learn. :D

Wait, what do you mean by "LIVE TV"? :eek:

Like watching your local channels LIVE?

Do you just need one tuner and one antenna for the entire house?

Last edited:
thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
The lifetime subscription is like $120, but they also have specials on occasion where you can get it for $75 or $90.

Yes, I have a single antenna, and an HD Homerun dual tuner device, and that connects and is configured in the PLEX server to record from the antenna. It automatically removes commercials. Adds to your library.

You can watch live tv, use the guide, etc. or just program it to record.

Works pretty slick.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
I’m even able to pull up live tv on my phone from wherever I am, as long as remote access is configured on the server.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
A little more info:

My antenna comes into the house and is split- one to the TV directly, and one to the HD Homerun Duo.

That way the TV can use its own tuner for watching live tv.

The HD Homerun Duo then connects to the router with Ethernet, which the PLEX server sees.

This gives me two tuners within PLEX, and I can access both of those tuners from any device on PLEX.

You can add as many HD Homerun devices (or other compatible tuners) as you need, if you want access to more programming at the same time (record one thing, watch a game in the theater while someone else watches another show in the bedroom - requires 3 tuners).

I find 2 to be plenty.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The lifetime subscription is like $120, but they also have specials on occasion where you can get it for $75 or $90.
I have Plex Pass Lifetime. I've paid $75 for it. It has few neat features, such as support for hardware video transcoding. Free plex clients for all platforms they support. [normally 5$ each platform] Ability to control shared libraries and download videos to personal devices for offline viewing [the server need to have the pass, not necessarily the client]
OTA DVR already covered above :)
To get the $75 special, the only one way I know is to create a Plex account and subscribe to Plex Newsletter and patiently wait for the invite.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have Plex Pass Lifetime. I've paid $75 for it. It has few neat features, such as support for hardware video transcoding. Free plex clients for all platforms they support. [normally 5$ each platform] Ability to control shared libraries and download videos to personal devices for offline viewing [the server need to have the pass, not necessarily the client]
OTA DVR already covered above :)
To get the $75 special, the only one way I know is create a Plex account and subscribe to Plex Newsletter and patiently wait for the invite.
I got one when they first advertised lifetime Plex Pass. I got it super cheap since I've been a member for so long. Paid for itself many times over.

@AcuDefTechGuy one of the main reasons you're seeing Kodi under-perform is because, like Plex, most of the dev efforts aren't in the HTPC space anymore. Plex almost pulled the Plex Media Player because they didn't think people used it. They were wrong and had to back track.

The other difference is Kodi is and has always been open source and free. Plex isn't. Granted, you get TONS of stuff without having to pay, but it's worth it to pay to support the awesome product as well as get the extra features.

Music has come a LONG way from what it was. There is now a MUCH better metadata agent and it is light years ahead of where it was when it comes to song/album recognition. As long as your collection follows their naming convention, you are golden. It'll take awhile to grab all the data, but it's worth it. This is the first time my music collection has been solid in Plex and they just came out with that update a few months ago.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got one when they first advertised lifetime Plex Pass. I got it super cheap since I've been a member for so long. Paid for itself many times over.

@AcuDefTechGuy one of the main reasons you're seeing Kodi under-perform is because, like Plex, most of the dev efforts aren't in the HTPC space anymore. Plex almost pulled the Plex Media Player because they didn't think people used it. They were wrong and had to back track.

The other difference is Kodi is and has always been open source and free. Plex isn't. Granted, you get TONS of stuff without having to pay, but it's worth it to pay to support the awesome product as well as get the extra features.

Music has come a LONG way from what it was. There is now a MUCH better metadata agent and it is light years ahead of where it was when it comes to song/album recognition. As long as your collection follows their naming convention, you are golden. It'll take awhile to grab all the data, but it's worth it. This is the first time my music collection has been solid in Plex and they just came out with that update a few months ago.
I would be happy to pay the lifetime pass just for the 4K/HDR tone-mapping quality. :D

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I got the lifetime pass earlier this year when they sent me a promo for it for $75. Let's me access everything on my phone when I'm not home as well that way. (as long as my internet cooperates that is)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got the lifetime pass earlier this year when they sent me a promo for it for $75. Let's me access everything on my phone when I'm not home as well that way. (as long as my internet cooperates that is)
I will watch for the $75 lifetime promo and purchase. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will watch for the $75 lifetime promo and purchase. :D
I'm not ready yet but I'd like to get into this soon be in about 6 months I have some other stuff I want to do first I'll start a thread on this platform and hopefully you guys can walk me through what I need to buy and do hardware plus the Plex and learn how to make it work

@Pogre is going to show me how to really use REW this next year and I'm hoping to learn how to have a setup for streaming like this as well. Other then just enjoyment I want to learn more as well

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not ready yet but I'd like to get into this soon be in about 6 months I have some other stuff I want to do first I'll start a thread on this platform and hopefully you guys can walk me through what I need to buy and do hardware plus the Plex and learn how to make it work

@Pogre is going to show me how to really use REW this next year and I'm hoping to learn how to have a setup for streaming like this as well. Other then just enjoyment I want to learn more as well
Pogre is gonna help, but he's prolly gonna be a little bit rusty and still has some learning to do too!

I've been wanting to do some calibrations for the last couple of weekends now and I start thinking about dragging out the 2 mics, pull the pc out of the tv stand so the mic cord will reach the seat, at least 2 hours (if not 6) of measuring, tweaking and calibrating... oof. I think I have other projects first, lol.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To be clear, even a free Plex will allow that. Plex Pass will give you free Plex client software on the phone (saving $5) and the ability to download to device to watch offline or without using cellular data.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Pogre is gonna help, but he's prolly gonna be a little bit rusty and still has some learning to do too!

I've been wanting to do some calibrations for the last couple of weekends now and I start thinking about dragging out the 2 mics, pull the pc out of the tv stand so the mic cord will reach the seat, at least 2 hours (if not 6) of measuring, tweaking and calibrating... oof. I think I have other projects first, lol.
:oops:Yeah unmmmm let's take our time okay? I'll get back to you........ later :rolleyes: :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
:oops:Yeah unmmmm let's take our time okay? I'll get back to you........ later :rolleyes: :D
Lol.

I don't have any problem coaching you while you drag out 2 mics, make the pc reach and do 2 to 6 hours or so of measuring. It's different when you do all the work! :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lol.

I don't have any problem coaching you while you drag out 2 mics, make the pc reach and do 2 to 6 hours or so of measuring. It's different when you do all the work! :p
I'll let you know when I'm ready bro

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis